MurphNE Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2731 views

Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

Novell Client 2 SP 3 for Windows 7 64 bit and the inability to log into the desktop for a "NEW" user

My issue is that If the username exist already in Windows 7, I can log into Novell and the Window 7 desktop will load

HOWEVER if the username doesn't exist and I attempt to log in, I'm able to log into Novell Client

BUT I get prompted with another window titled “Log on to this Computer” with a check box “Change your Windows password to match your Novell Password after success login”.
1) I insert the password and
2) check the box

The Result is a line that says “The Local computer username or password is not valid”

Any suggestions would be most appreciated
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:06:02 GMT, MurphNE
<MurphNE@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>Novell Client 2 SP 3 for Windows 7 64 bit and the inability to log into
>the desktop for a "NEW" user
>
>My issue is that If the username exist already in Windows 7, I can log
>into Novell and the Window 7 desktop will load
>
>HOWEVER if the username doesn't exist and I attempt to log in, I'm able
>to log into Novell Client
>
>BUT I get prompted with another window titled ?og on to this Computer?
>with a check box ?hange your Windows password to match your Novell
>Password after success login?
>1) I insert the password and
>2) check the box
>
>The Result is a line that says ?he Local computer username or password
>is not valid?
>
>Any suggestions would be most appreciated


The Novell Client does not create local users in Windows. Never has
as far as I know. You need to either manually create your windows
accounts or use the Dynamic Local User capabilities provided by
Zenworks Configuration Management.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
MurphNE Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

I must be saying it wrong. let me try it this way.

When a user that never logged into the PC logs in the Desktop used to create the user profile for that username now I get nothing other thean the message from my earlier post.

So here is what happens when a user trys to log in to a PC they have never logged into before.

The user get past the Novell login but the Windows 7 PC will not let username log in (they get the message in the post above)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:26:02 GMT, MurphNE
<MurphNE@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>I must be saying it wrong. let me try it this way.
>
>When a user that never logged into the PC logs in the Desktop used to
>create the user profile for that username now I get nothing other thean
>the message from my earlier post.
>
>So here is what happens when a user trys to log in to a PC they have
>never logged into before.
>
>The user get past the Novell login but the Windows 7 PC will not let
>username log in (they get the message in the post above)


Sorry, but that is even less clear. I'll make some assumptions.

* You have a Win7 PC.
* The user already has an account on the PC, but they have never
logged into it.
* When they login for the first time, they get an error that states
the username or password is not avalid.

Sounds like the user is using the wrong username or password.

In your first post you state:
"BUT I get prompted with another window titled log on to this Computer
with a check box Change your Windows password to match your Novell
Password after success login?"

At that point you must enter the password assigned to the account on
the PC. Depending upon how you created the account, it may not be the
same as thier eDirectory password.

If that doesn't help, try explaining again...or maybe someone else
will jump in that understands what you are trying to do.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
hspeirs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

MurphNE wrote:

> When a user that never logged into the PC logs in the Desktop used to
> create the user profile for that username now I get nothing other thean
> the message from my earlier post.


As Ken said, a user would only be able to login to a computer they don't
have an account on if:
a) the computer was joined to a domain, and they have a domain account. Or
b) You are using Zenworks with a Dynamic Local User policy.

I a) then there is a problem with how the PC is in the domain. If no
domain, then b) must apply, and there is a problem with your Zen agent
and the policy.

So, should these be domain login, or DLU ?

H.

0 Likes
MurphNE Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

Hspeirs;2256911 wrote:
MurphNE wrote:

> When a user that never logged into the PC logs in the Desktop used to
> create the user profile for that username now I get nothing other thean
> the message from my earlier post.


As Ken said, a user would only be able to login to a computer they don't
have an account on if:
a) the computer was joined to a domain, and they have a domain account. Or
b) You are using Zenworks with a Dynamic Local User policy.

I a) then there is a problem with how the PC is in the domain. If no
domain, then b) must apply, and there is a problem with your Zen agent
and the policy.

So, should these be domain login, or DLU ?

H.


***************************************
Thank you
For some reason I was TOTALLY forgetting about the ZENwork piece.

Once I installed Zenwork all my issues wentr away

THANK YOU FOR HELP
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client 2 SP3 and the inability to log in the Win7

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:46:01 GMT, MurphNE
<MurphNE@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>Thank you
>For some reason I was TOTALLY forgetting about the ZENwork piece.
>
>Once I installed Zenwork all my issues wentr away


That would do it. 🙂

I'm glad you have things working now.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.