Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell Client 2 > IR7 - Problem with redirected folders

Anyone else notice a peculiar issue happening after updating the Novell Client 2 SP1 to IR8 or higher?

Enviroment:
-----------
* Novell Client 2 SP1 IR8 or higher
* Windows 7 x86/64-bit with SP1
* User's home drive is located on NSS volume in the cluster
* Folder redirection is enabled on the following folders: My Documents, Favorites, My Pitures, My Videos (configured via the default user regsitry hive)
* Redirection points to the drive mapping: U:\My Documents, etc.

Problem:
--------
User tries to delete file from one of folders on their U drive that has been redirected in the OS. For example: Browse to U:\Favorites and try to delete a favorite shortcut stored there, and the user is prompted that they do not have the proper permissions to delete the file. Refresh the explorer window and the file is no longer there.

Current Solution:
-----------------
Back rev any Windows 7 clients to IR7 or earlier.

Screen capture is from a system I just updated the client from IR7 to IR9a.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1443/novellclientredirectpro.png

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

patrick_reeder;2144228 wrote:
Anyone else notice a peculiar issue happening after updating the Novell Client 2 SP1 to IR8 or higher?

Enviroment:
-----------
* Novell Client 2 SP1 IR8 or higher
* Windows 7 x86/64-bit with SP1
* User's home drive is located on NSS volume in the cluster
* Folder redirection is enabled on the following folders: My Documents, Favorites, My Pitures, My Videos (configured via the default user regsitry hive)
* Redirection points to the drive mapping: U:\My Documents, etc.

Problem:
--------
User tries to delete file from one of folders on their U drive that has been redirected in the OS. For example: Browse to U:\Favorites and try to delete a favorite shortcut stored there, and the user is prompted that they do not have the proper permissions to delete the file. Refresh the explorer window and the file is no longer there.

Current Solution:
-----------------
Back rev any Windows 7 clients to IR7 or earlier.

Screen capture is from a system I just updated the client from IR7 to IR9a.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1443/novellclientredirectpro.png

Maybe this one applies: Error when deleting file or folder on Windows 7 with folder redirection policy

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;2144231 wrote:
Maybe this one applies: Error when deleting file or folder on Windows 7 with folder redirection policy

Thomas

Nice find Thomas! Thanks! I'll go ahead and try the resolutions and report back.

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So the group policy settings works, but its probably not an option in our environment to have deleted files not be moved to the Recycle Bin.

I'm still curious as to why I don't have the issue in the IR7 release, but as soon as I update to IR8, 9 or 9a the problem presents itslef.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.