Highlighted
mlazovjp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell Client for Linux 2 beta & VMWare - bridged only?

OpenSUSE 11.1 with Novell Client for Linux 2.0 SP2 beta.

OpenSUSE is installed as a VMWare Workstation guest using NAT. When attempting to use contextless login, the Novell Client hangs. If you disable contextless login and then browse to the right context, you can login OK.

If you change the virtual NIC from NAT to Bridged, contextless login works fine. If at all possible, we need to use Bridged instead of NAT (long story).

Any idea what could be the problem? From what I can tell, SLP, DA, etc are set correctly, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client for Linux 2 beta & VMWare - bridged only?

* mlazovjp (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:56:02 GMT)

> OpenSUSE 11.1 with Novell Client for Linux 2.0 SP2 beta.
>
> OpenSUSE is installed as a VMWare Workstation guest using NAT. When
> attempting to use contextless login, the Novell Client hangs. If you
> disable contextless login and then browse to the right context, you can
> login OK.
>
> If you change the virtual NIC from NAT to Bridged, contextless login
> works fine. If at all possible, we need to use Bridged instead of NAT
> (long story).
>
> Any idea what could be the problem? From what I can tell, SLP, DA, etc
> are set correctly, but I could be wrong.

Use NAT only if you need NAT - otherwise use bridged.

Thorsten
0 Likes
mlazovjp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client for Linux 2 beta & VMWare - bridged only?

Thorsten Kampe;1904899 wrote:
* mlazovjp (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:56:02 GMT)

> OpenSUSE 11.1 with Novell Client for Linux 2.0 SP2 beta.
>
> OpenSUSE is installed as a VMWare Workstation guest using NAT. When
> attempting to use contextless login, the Novell Client hangs. If you
> disable contextless login and then browse to the right context, you can
> login OK.
>
> If you change the virtual NIC from NAT to Bridged, contextless login
> works fine. If at all possible, we need to use Bridged instead of NAT
> (long story).
>
> Any idea what could be the problem? From what I can tell, SLP, DA, etc
> are set correctly, but I could be wrong.

Use NAT only if you need NAT - otherwise use bridged.

Thorsten

I was afraid that someone was goign to say something like that 🙂

We use port security hardware on our network, which will disable a port on the switch if it detects multiple MAC addresses on the same port. A virtual machine's bridged networking sets port security off and disables the port, so we have had to resort to NAT for all virtual machines. We can ask for exceptions to be made for a subset of our lab computers, but that is not an ideal solution.

Not only is that extra overhead for us to manage these exceptions, but we will not be able to realize our long-term goal of providing the virtual machine to our students to use on their personal notebooks since we cannot provide them port security exceptions.

I am still having problems grasping the reason that a contextless lookup (via LDAP, I assume) would misbehave while coming from a NATted connection but a bridged connection works fine on the exact same virtual machine. Shouldn't the communication between the VM and the LDAP server work properly either way??
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.