Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4132 views

Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get the Novell Client for Vista running on a 64bit Vista Business machine(for testing, then later for larger scale production).

I have managed silent install and all that, but what I have a real issue with is the login itself, I am able to log in to Novell, but I am prompted for the login to Windows.

How can I bypass this?

-> We are not able to upgrade to ZCM, we are stuck on 7 for another 3 years at least.
-> I've tried with the ZFDAgent (v7.0.1), but it didnt work at all(just the Workstation Manager).

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Theflyingcorpse,
> How can I bypass this?
>

You cannot, unless you use Autoadminlogon.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Ok =/ Then its no use then...

Thanks !
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Theflyingcorpse,
> Ok =/ Then its no use then...
>

Can't you just have it log in silently as a predefined user?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto


> > Anders Gustafsson <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How can I bypass this?

> >
> > You cannot, unless you use Autoadminlogon.

>
> theflyingcorpse <theflyingcorpse@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
> Ok =/ Then its no use then...


I would say that Anders' response was perhaps too narrowly defined as
"you cannot bypass logging into Windows". i.e. You must still always
login to Windows using a valid Windows account, in addition to
optionally logging into eDirectory with a valid eDirectory account.

To me your original question sounds more like "how can I bypass being
/prompted/ for the Windows account information", which is certainly
possible even without using AutoAdminLogon.

If your eDirectory account password is the same as your Windows
account password, the login should be able to be "transparent". If
your Windows account name is the same as your eDirectory account name,
there shouldn't even be any special steps needed; it should just
happen.

If your Windows account name isn't the same as your eDirectory account
name, then after entering your eDirectory account name in the main
"Novell Username" field on the Welcome screen, it would be necessary
to use the "Show Advanced Options" link to visit the "Windows" tab and
specify the specific Windows account name to be used, prior to
proceeding with login.

So long as your login is then actually successful, the "Save after
successful login" option in the login profile should cause this
information to be saved, and this different Windows account name
should be used whenever you enter your eDirectory account name into
the main "Novell Username" field.

Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Alan Adams,
> I would say that Anders' response was perhaps too narrowly defined as
> "you cannot bypass logging into Windows".
>

Yes, sorry. I read that in the context of "doing what you do with ZEN"
ie, there is no DLU, unless you upgrade to ZCM. Alternative venues
exist though, as you point out, ie having the same name or
Autoadminlogon, something I have not tested on Vista.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

AndersG;1710376 wrote:
Theflyingcorpse,
> Ok =/ Then its no use then...
>

Can't you just have it log in silently as a predefined user?


I did that, it works, but not as intended in the first place.

we have a multi user environment and it would be the best if we had our own profiles.

We did get it to work with AutoAdmin, but this then does not "load" the proper profile since its already loaded upon logging in with Novell Client.
0 Likes
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Alan Adams;1710380 wrote:

> > Anders Gustafsson <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How can I bypass this?

> >
> > You cannot, unless you use Autoadminlogon.

>
> theflyingcorpse <theflyingcorpse@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
> Ok =/ Then its no use then...


I would say that Anders' response was perhaps too narrowly defined as
"you cannot bypass logging into Windows". i.e. You must still always
login to Windows using a valid Windows account, in addition to
optionally logging into eDirectory with a valid eDirectory account.

To me your original question sounds more like "how can I bypass being
/prompted/ for the Windows account information", which is certainly
possible even without using AutoAdminLogon.[

If your eDirectory account password is the same as your Windows
account password, the login should be able to be "transparent". If
your Windows account name is the same as your eDirectory account name,
there shouldn't even be any special steps needed; it should just
happen./QUOTE]
Oh, how can I do this? When the account information is syncronized?
I did some experiments just now and it seems to work. The bad thing then is that I have to load a list of users prior to installing into the computer so the user already exists on the computer prior to the first Novell login.

I did these steps to test it:
Requirements PC:
Novell Client 5.0.1(latest as of Dec 08)
Vista Business x64

First test, never used login on the computer:
- Never used Novell Login prompted for the Windows login, even when I said that it was to sync the password, I had to manually sync this once for it to update. When we have a password policy of every 30 days this could be a hazzle for some of our elder users(even if it is just every 30 days)

Second test, premade account on the computer
- Was still asked for credentials on Windows, upon which it failed, had to log in with "Workstation Only", then it was able to login after the profile was created locally on disk

Third test.
- Created a new user account, logged in Workstation only once, then it worked straight through with Novell on the second boot.


Thankfully, its only MY department that is going to get Vista. I am the one in charge for the rollout of Windows Vista, so I can manipulate the process of installing any way I want.

Is there any good news in terms of local profiles on the Horizon, without all this hazzle of creating it locally first? I find it strange that this lacks from the current Novell Client.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

Theflyingcorpse,
> we have a multi user environment and it would be the best if we had our
> own profiles.
>

I understand that, so it is a shame you cannot upgrade to ZCM. If I were
you, I would just upgrade those new machines to Xp 😉

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client manual + Vista Auto

AndersG;1710429 wrote:
Theflyingcorpse,
> we have a multi user environment and it would be the best if we had our
> own profiles.
>

I understand that, so it is a shame you cannot upgrade to ZCM. If I were
you, I would just upgrade those new machines to Xp 😉

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
Enhancement Request

Upgrade? 😉 Downgrade? I guess it depends on how you look at it, hehe 🙂

We WOULD use XP if Novell client supported XP 64bit 😉 20+ machines with quad cores and 8 GB of ram 😛 (I cant see XP 32bit use all of it).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.