Highlighted
Saget25
New Member.

Novell NSS Volume Shedule Purge that meets criteria

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to purge for example all files that ages more than (1 month or any other date setting) from a NSS Volume ?
I know there's the "ncpcon purge volume" command... but is there any policies or something that would allow us to do that automaticaly?

If not.

How did you resolved your evergrowing database of deleted files ? We have some folders with over 13500+ deleted files to salvage... and there is many folder like this.
Is the only way to do this is to make a CRON task to purge all files ?
I would like to know if theres a way thru iManager or Remote manager.

Thank you !
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
skapanen2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell NSS Volume Shedule Purge that meets criteria

On 19.12.2011 21:26, anto28 wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> How did you resolved your evergrowing database of deleted files ? We
> have some folders with over 13500+ deleted files to salvage... and there
> is many folder like this.

What is the problem with this?
OES2 will clean these up when free space is needed, no need to do this
manually.

-sk

HAMK University - OES, NW, GW, NCS, eDir, Zen, IDM, NSL - www.hamk.fi
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

anto28;2162348 wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to purge for example all files that ages more than (1 month or any other date setting) from a NSS Volume ?
I know there's the "ncpcon purge volume" command... but is there any policies or something that would allow us to do that automaticaly?

If not.

How did you resolved your evergrowing database of deleted files ? We have some folders with over 13500+ deleted files to salvage... and there is many folder like this.
Is the only way to do this is to make a CRON task to purge all files ?
I would like to know if theres a way thru iManager or Remote manager.

No way to do via iManager, etc. Use a corn job if you need "exactly so many days" etc. Look at tools like JRB Utils which can enumerate deleted files and then purge them. If this is driven by a corporate retention policy, that is the way to do it.

But if you are merely "concerned" or just fretting about all those deleted files, don't, and instead just set the NSS options to limit the deleted files to X % of the volume.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Along with the comments already given.. if you have the desire to keep the deleted file history trimmed but don't want to delete all history at a given interval (using ncpcon's purge), the HBware purge utility might be a solution : Products

-Willem
0 Likes
Saget25
New Member.

Thank you guys for your answers,

Sad that there is not a built-in quota based on time instead of size in Novell.
I will look into the HBWare Purge software but i don't think this will allow us to automate this task.

We will try to see what is best for us: Quota-Size of Cron Job once a month or so.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Theoretically if the Linux OS can "see" the deleted files, it should be doable, but not sure if you'd have to custom-write something to use the ZAPI or whatever that NSS uses.

If you're meaning NON-DELETED files (ie, we have a "scratch" area where anything more than X days old gets auto-deleted) that's easily doable via cron job.
0 Likes
Saget25
New Member.

I'm talking about deleted files. Yeah i guess it would be possible to write a program that would fit our needs since HBWare does it on demand... We would need that kind of app but with a schedule 🙂

Thank you.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I wonder if maybe jrbutils has something? I know some of their stuff can run on Linux, but I've not looked at it.
0 Likes
skapanen2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 29.12.2011 16:46, anto28 wrote:
>
> Thank you guys for your answers,
>
> Sad that there is not a built-in quota based on time instead of size in
> Novell.
> I will look into the HBWare Purge software but i don't think this will
> allow us to automate this task.
>
> We will try to see what is best for us: Quota-Size of Cron Job once a
> month or so.

I'm curious - for what purpose do you need this behavior?

-sk

HAMK University - OES, NW, GW, NCS, eDir, Zen, IDM, NSL - www.hamk.fi
0 Likes
ruggerij Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I know this comment is a couple of years late.. but we are a court and we use the salvage utility to undelete documents that our attorneys accidentally overwrite or delete. We point our timed backup's of WordPerfect and Word to a special salvage volume for this express purpose. But we never purge these volume. So when a user needs us to find a deleted document through Salvage, there can be 10,0000+ temp files and timed backup files on that volume per user. When they call and say they lost a document at 3PM yesterday, there are far too many files to sort through.

The only way to keep the volume more manageable would be to purge the oldest files first on a regular basis, over a defined time period, like 3 or 6 months old.

We do purge the volume manually for all users once a year, around the Christmas vacation season here in the US. But that does not resolve the issue.

The best thing would be able to have a utility that can run, on a schedule, that can remove the files by date, or date range or by policy.
Perhaps it could be built into Storage Manager.

-JR
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.