penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.
5882 views

Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

I have setup radius on our OES server, configured it and everything works just fine on the radius side of things. The client was a ***** to get working due to a bug in Windows Wireless Zero Config that makes any wireless connection that isnt entered by typing in ssid, ap etc manually invisible to WZC / Novell Client.

The remaining problem is that logging in takes about three minutes and this is not acceptable to my boss.

In mid login everything seems to just stop, just after the background comes up but before any icons, the panel or the icons show. It just sits there idling until something times out and then it continues.

Just what it is that times out i cant for my life find out. I cant see anything out of the ordinary in the logs.

/danielh
Labels (1)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

Hi,
what kind of wireless access point do you use, I did a lot of troubleshooting at the server side and client side when we had these kind of problems. Then it turned out that the problem was the WLAN AP 😞
If you have access to another AP model/brand then try that one out before spending unnecessary time troubleshooting server or client stuff.

Login for us takes about 15-25 seconds.

Thomas
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

thsundel;1555674 wrote:
Hi,
what kind of wireless access point do you use, I did a lot of troubleshooting at the server side and client side when we had these kind of problems. Then it turned out that the problem was the WLAN AP 😞
If you have access to another AP model/brand then try that one out before spending unnecessary time troubleshooting server or client stuff.

Login for us takes about 15-25 seconds.

Thomas


Well unfortunately im not the admin for our wireless infrastructure. It consists of a Cisco wlc44xx and Cisco AP's connected to it. Could you give me a hint as to what your problem was?
0 Likes
mcharbonneau@ot1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

I have the exact same Cisco WLC 4400 series and of course, Cisco APs.
A logoff takes 2 minutes, so bootup would likely be around 3 minutes.

Please post to this thread if you find a solution, I'll do the same.
I posted the same problem in post titled "WLAN authentication speed" on May
9th.

Thanks,
Marc

> Well unfortunately im not the admin for our wireless infrastructure. It
> consists of a Cisco wlc44xx and Cisco AP's connected to it. Could you
> give me a hint as to what your problem was?
>
>
> --
> Daniel Hedblom
> SysAdmin
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> penguin_roar's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3887
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=327559
>



0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

Marc;1556050 wrote:
I have the exact same Cisco WLC 4400 series and of course, Cisco APs.
A logoff takes 2 minutes, so bootup would likely be around 3 minutes.

Please post to this thread if you find a solution, I'll do the same.
I posted the same problem in post titled "WLAN authentication speed" on May
9th.

Thanks,
Marc


Ill post if i find anything. If i had access to the WLC4400 im pretty sure this would be easy to solve.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

If I only could remember, I did this troubleshooting spring/summer of 2007.
Have you tried these patches: NOVELL: Downloads ?

I would start at running the freeradius service with the -X -A parameters if I remember correctly, then you will be able to see a lot of information that could probably help you troubleshooting this problem.

Thomas
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

thsundel;1556097 wrote:
If I only could remember, I did this troubleshooting spring/summer of 2007.
Have you tried these patches: NOVELL: Downloads ?

I would start at running the freeradius service with the -X -A parameters if I remember correctly, then you will be able to see a lot of information that could probably help you troubleshooting this problem.

Thomas


I have done that and all i can see is successful authentications. If i login from the N inside a Windows session things works very fast but from the Novell Login it auths in a flash, gets to the background and then takes forever until it suddenly continues and finalizes. Nothing differs in the radius -X -A logs at all between the two.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

Do you have Zenworks (which veriosn) and DLU set up for the workstation?
Try installing a clean Windows XP SP2, install the Novell client and Zenworks agent. Setup 802.1x and try logging in.
Because if I remember correctly some of the Windows patches did impact allot on performance.

Thomas
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

thsundel;1556815 wrote:
Do you have Zenworks (which veriosn) and DLU set up for the workstation?
Try installing a clean Windows XP SP2, install the Novell client and Zenworks agent. Setup 802.1x and try logging in.
Because if I remember correctly some of the Windows patches did impact allot on performance.

Thomas


Hi again,

We use Zenworks 7 and DLU for our workstations, did try one install without it but no difference in logintime.

I have reinstalled a couple of times now on different machines with fresh Xp SP2. Done some mixed tests with the patches but the same issue remains.

Ill scour the net for patches and try harder. Thank you very much for all the help, its very nice if only to know that someone has gotten it to work.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

We also use Zenworks 7 running on OES1 Linux server which also is our freeradius server. If you want, I could send you via email some more information eg. our freeradius config files and more.

Thomas
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

thsundel;1556939 wrote:
We also use Zenworks 7 running on OES1 Linux server which also is our freeradius server. If you want, I could send you via email some more information eg. our freeradius config files and more.

Thomas


That would be very helpful for confirming i havent missed something. My email is daniel@solle.se The radius.conf and eap.conf would be lovely.

If i get this working im going to write a new howto detailing the specifics on the client side.

Thanks!

/danielh
0 Likes
ryln00 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem and I have noticed that it doesn't matter if we are using a wireless or wired connection.
The problem appears to be in the Windows 802.1x supplicant. At the initial Novell login, the 802.1x authentication is almost instant and the Novell-client continues with it´s login procedure. At this point Windows starts logging in to the desktop and during this time you can see that it happens further new 802.1x authentications. This causes the link to go down and it's done during Novell login.
I can´t understand why the Windows supplicant are doing this because there has already been a successful authentication. It seems the Novell client gets into trouble when the link goes down during login-procedure and causes slow login.
I have tried all required and recommended patches from Novell and Microsoft and latest NIC-drivers but nothing helps. I have a login time, after entering username and password, somewhere between 1-3 minutes.

Have anyone tried XP SP3 regarding this?
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

ryln00;1558936 wrote:
Hi!
I have exactly the same problem and I have noticed that it doesn't matter if we are using a wireless or wired connection.
The problem appears to be in the Windows 802.1x supplicant. At the initial Novell login, the 802.1x authentication is almost instant and the Novell-client continues with it´s login procedure. At this point Windows starts logging in to the desktop and during this time you can see that it happens further new 802.1x authentications. This causes the link to go down and it's done during Novell login.
I can´t understand why the Windows supplicant are doing this because there has already been a successful authentication. It seems the Novell client gets into trouble when the link goes down during login-procedure and causes slow login.
I have tried all required and recommended patches from Novell and Microsoft and latest NIC-drivers but nothing helps. I have a login time, after entering username and password, somewhere between 1-3 minutes.

Have anyone tried XP SP3 regarding this?


Yes, same problem exists on XP SP3. I have read logs, made traces and read my fair share of wireshark sniffs but i cannot for the life of it find out whats happening inside Windows when the login stalls.
0 Likes
penguin_roar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

I have now tried with a D-link -dwl 2200 Access Point instead and no difference is noticable in login speed. I have now also tried with a couple of other wlan nics.

Have anyone managed to solve this or is it about time i start a support case by now? I have never used support before so im a bit n00b on that department.
0 Likes
nlandas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Win Client 4.91 sp4 802.1x Wireless slow login

penguin_roar;1563335 wrote:
I have now tried with a D-link -dwl 2200 Access Point instead and no difference is noticable in login speed. I have now also tried with a couple of other wlan nics.

Have anyone managed to solve this or is it about time i start a support case by now? I have never used support before so im a bit n00b on that department.


Did you ever resolve this. Everything seems to be set up correctly here. If we do workstation only the authentication is almost instant. Then right click the Red N logins are fast as well. If we try and have the client do 802.1X behind the scenes logins take 1-3 minutes.

It has to be a client issue. I can't see anything else.

Any resolution?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.