Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell "Neutron" in OES11 and beyond

Pure speculative discussion follows (if you are so inclined to wonder and comment with your best guesses):
Do you expect the new Novell "Neutron" file access ecosystem as outlined here to supplant the current iFolder client and traditional Novell NCP mapped drives sourced from the Novell Client for file sharing in the future or do you suppose things will continue to be a mixed approach going forward, depending on an organization's needs? OR will what we now know as quintessential NetWare/OES core services be considered "legacy" services Novell will recommend moving away from within the next one or two OES releases? Will those traditional Novell services die the slow death of limited attention or outright abandonment or will they be upgraded along with other new "cool" features?

Some exciting things are potentially on the way it seems...but is it more Windows Serverish copycat (having the user feel as if they are connected to a Windows Server domain) or will it still feel like NetWare services at heart?...
Labels (1)
0 Likes
25 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gcps_testid;2127409 wrote:
Are you planning to transition to OES2 or OES11 when it arrives or do you plan to rip and replace Novell services with another vendor's offering eventually?

Well, so far we are REALLY happy with OES2 SP2, installed about 1.5 years ago, knock on wood...no real issues, just stable AS HELL. This is just my perspective, but I think novell is on the RIGHT TRACK with oes11, I really want them to keep edir and ldap for that beautiful and redundant unified directory, because edir is just plain stable and awesome, but the idea of the focus being on a unified filesystem in realtime shared on every conceivable device, is an awesome notion. When I look at the roadmap it seems there will be oes11 neutron apps/client for ios, droid etc, and this is what oes11 needs, as well it seems there will be a native mac neutron client too...this rocks too. I really think this is the right direction ubiquitous access for all, built on their awesome edir services. Anyways, it looks promising...hopefully delivery method is good. Can't wait for brainshare.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any estimated release date stated at Brainshare or elsewhere?

smflood;2133329 wrote:
On 31/08/2011 16:06, markovhe wrote:

> I assume the answer to that last question will be revealed at
> Brainshare?

Well there are a number of OES11 sessions listed in the BrainShare
session catalog @
https://www.novellbrainshare.com/slc2011/scheduler/public.jsp ...

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

gcps testid wrote:

>
> Any estimated release date stated at Brainshare or elsewhere?
>
> smflood;2133329 Wrote:
>> On 31/08/2011 16:06, markovhe wrote:
>>
>> > I assume the answer to that last question will be revealed at
>> > Brainshare?

>>
>> Well there are a number of OES11 sessions listed in the BrainShare
>> session catalog @
>> https://www.novellbrainshare.com/slc2011/scheduler/public.jsp ...
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Simon
>> Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or
>> school?
>> If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
>> Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.

>
>

Not till the spring they said.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. Has there been a new thread started or separate page started with more detailed info on upcoming features for the next release that you are aware of? (anybody out there)

warper2;2149179 wrote:
gcps testid wrote:

>
>
> smflood;2133329 Wrote:
>>
>> > Brainshare?

>>
>> session catalog @
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Simon
>>
>> school?

>
>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Techlord;2133546 wrote:
Well, so far we are REALLY happy with OES2 SP2, installed about 1.5 years ago, knock on wood...no real issues, just stable AS HELL. This is just my perspective, but I think novell is on the RIGHT TRACK with oes11, I really want them to keep edir and ldap for that beautiful and redundant unified directory, because edir is just plain stable and awesome, but the idea of the focus being on a unified filesystem in realtime shared on every conceivable device, is an awesome notion. When I look at the roadmap it seems there will be oes11 neutron apps/client for ios, droid etc, and this is what oes11 needs, as well it seems there will be a native mac neutron client too...this rocks too. I really think this is the right direction ubiquitous access for all, built on their awesome edir services. Anyways, it looks promising...hopefully delivery method is good. Can't wait for brainshare.

Any recent updates or feature descriptions posted by engineering or marketing lately that you've seen about OES11's new features?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

They have REALLY moved the release date to an earlier time. OES11 was released TODAY! See here:
Manage File & Print Networks | Open Enterprise Server | Novell

My gleanings (which may or may not be accurate) based on reading various pages on the Novell website: In order to push out OES11 more rapidly, they are postponing the release of the much touted (at Brainshare and other Novell sales presentations worldwide) inclusion of the "neutron" or Filr functionality to a later date. Perhaps that's why they are releasing OES11 now at an earlier than expected time since they didn't have to ship that new component along with it since it seems to be slated for a more distant release date. From what I can tell, The SLES11 foundation seems to be the new big "feature" of OES11 over OES2 currently. The OES website doesn't have a list of partners providing 3rd party certified support for OES11 yet. Hopefully that list will appear shortly.

warper2;2149179 wrote:
gcps testid wrote:

>
>
> smflood;2133329 Wrote:
>>
>> > Brainshare?

>>
>> session catalog @
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Simon
>>
>> school?

>
>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any more up to date feelings on these questions post-BrainShare and post-OES11 now shipping?

gcps_testid;2125488 wrote:
Pure speculative discussion follows (if you are so inclined to wonder and comment with your best guesses):
Do you expect the new Novell "Neutron" file access ecosystem as outlined here to supplant the current iFolder client and traditional Novell NCP mapped drives sourced from the Novell Client for file sharing in the future or do you suppose things will continue to be a mixed approach going forward, depending on an organization's needs? OR will what we now know as quintessential NetWare/OES core services be considered "legacy" services Novell will recommend moving away from within the next one or two OES releases? Will those traditional Novell services die the slow death of limited attention or outright abandonment or will they be upgraded along with other new "cool" features?

Some exciting things are potentially on the way it seems...but is it more Windows Serverish copycat (having the user feel as if they are connected to a Windows Server domain) or will it still feel like NetWare services at heart?...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any technical "behind the scenes" info about how Filr will work? Will a Filr service run on an OES or other xyz box and be a proxy of sorts? Will the Filr server be handling only authentication and file sync or will it actually be pulling a file from a random external storage server (of any flavor) and then resending it to the Filr client? I am not quite sure if it is authentication/sync only or actually authentication/sync/delivery...

Basically, will the actual files residing on an external server actually come from the server directly to the Filr client computer (after Filr server authentication of course) or will it go from xyz server to Filr server to client computer? Will Filr be the "man in the middle" of the transaction for all elements of the request or only part of that process? How will external security be handled with Filr? Will Internet based requests for files shared via Filr be delivered over standard https in a browser or via a required Neutron browser plug-in or full-fledged client app on the end-user device? Will Filr open up an organization's edirectory to the WWW for these Filr specific authentication requests to work properly? Or does Filr shield the edirectory and other available Novell resources from the public Internet, acting as a super filter against everything other than access to that one or more particular files available to a user via a Filr share request?

Techlord;2133546 wrote:
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gcps_testid;2161305 wrote:
Any more up to date feelings on these questions post-BrainShare and post-OES11 now shipping?

Hello. All estimate, but i expect to replace IFolder with Novell Filr when they are available.

I Expect too no map network drivers to the network, if its not needed for this (from some applications or some excel macros)

The connection to the server its done with the protocol (CIFS, NCP) the client have. If i have connection to the server, i expect i see links on My Documents to the files and folders, and if i don t have directly connection to the server, they goes with the filr proxy (like NetStorage web page) , download the file and sync .

Anyone know if there are a beta for this product ?

Regards
Victor
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, it is my understanding there is a closed BETA of Filr. I wish that I could get in on it.

I have no problem with the Novell Client being replaced but I still hope that Novell will continue to support NCP and NSS access, which I have found to be more robust and stable than CIFS/NFS/AFP/ETC. I guess we will have to wait and see but I hope that the developers still see very viable reasons for not dumping quality technologies in favor of the lowest common denominator. It is fine if they want their products to support running on Windows with CIFS and Active Dir but I hope they'll continue to develop and utilize to their benefit their own internal technologies like eDir, NCP and NSS.

I also hope that the Linux disease that has infected many of the developers where they think "good" sysadmins all want to edit cryptic text files and not store their configuration in a centralized x.500 directory will take the backseat to those who used to make Novell products manageable with simple user interfaces and store relevant configuration in the replicatable x.500 directory.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 11/04/2012 16:46, nlandas wrote:

> Yes, it is my understanding there is a closed BETA of Filr. I wish that
> I could get in on it.

Whilst Novell are testing Filr internally the authorised (closed) beta has
not opened yet so you haven't missed that opportunity.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As Simon states Filr is still internal 'alpha', just heard this week that official release will be targeted around November.

Both eDirectory and Active Directory will be supported as well as NCP (NetWare, OES) and CIFS/SMB (Windows, NAS, SAN) will be supported. Tough I doubt -replacing- the Novell Client is subject, to access files (leveraging Filr) over NCP the Novell Client has to be installed on the device. Most Devices already support SMB/Cifs so accessing files on Windows Shared (Server, NAS, SAN) should not be a problem for that matter. If those protocols are not available (like in a on the road/remote scenario) then Filr would access the file over HTTP(S). to complement also a WebAccess client and WebDAV are supported if no Filr client is installed.
For more info on the most recent plans around Filr take a look at the slides at http://bit.ly/HVFTKz

Sorry to say, but in my opinion you are really wrong regarding the 'Linux desease' statement and does no good to where we want OES to head. Moving OES to Linux has brought us more than we ever could have had on NetWare today. Won't go into a deep WHY discussion at this point as these is said plenty on that matter, but if you like on the execution part (communication and transition speed) Novell could indeed have done a better job in the recent years. Fact is, NetWare is past and (OES) Linux (or Windows for that matter) is the road ahead. If you refer to Linux as a desease, how are you ever going to justify using or moving to it in the future? Even if you would choose Windows as the alternative to get out of this discussion you would be stuck with a cli as Microsoft moves more to the command line. Do you get much more happy from a registry verses a config file...

Reality is that even on NetWare not all config is stored in the Directory, so why do you on Linux expect that to be the case. Neither (not at all) the case with Active Directory. Basic server config tools on NetWare are comparable with YaST on SLES (may be even better as these work both in text and graphic mode - only thing on NetWare they came up with was the painfull X-server installation junk), so also there I do not see a problem as the truth is that in the end both NetWare and Linux do store these settings in config files on the platform after all. If you mean editing config files that do not have a 'graphic' config tool, yes that could be but also these services may most likely even not be available on the NetWare platform at all. Software and hardware vendors left NetWare a LONG time ago and all that's left are a few Novell own products that are loosely integrated with the NetWare platform itself. As NetWare was developed as a 32 bit platform, Novell a long time ago said a 64 bit ' NetWare' would be nothing like you know NetWare is today. The Modesto plans are outlined here Redirect Notice : instead of building a new 'execution platform' Novell just decided to take what's there to stay, which makes Linux the main execution platform and VMWare, XEN and others as the 'service' virtualisation layer. SuSE Studio Appliances are in perfect line to execute on this strategy I believe.

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.