rdk2007 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1961 views

ODBC Data Source

I am trying to create a System DSN on my MS Server 2003 to link to a database (Access mdb) on my Novell server. How would I go about setting this up? I am trying to move the database from the MS server (where IIS is hosting my website) onto the Novell server.

Thank you in advance!
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ODBC Data Source

Rdk2007,
> I am trying to create a System DSN on my MS Server 2003 to link to a
> database (Access mdb) on my Novell server. How would I go about setting
> this up? I am trying to move the database from the MS server (where IIS
> is hosting my website) onto the Novell server.
>

Create an Access data source and then when asked for the location of the
MDB file, point to the file on the NW server. Requires the NW client or
CIFS on the NW server.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
rdk2007 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ODBC Data Source

Thanks for your reply. I tried to create an Access data source, pointing it to the mapped drive. It wasn't working. To ensure that the data source was set up correctly, I tried pointing it to the DB's original location and it worked. So, I am wondering if there is some authentication that I am missing or if there is some additional security.

In addition, I tried to directly edit my connection string. If I point to the local C drive (on the MS server itself) it works fine... if I change it to the mapped novell drive, it doesn't connect.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ODBC Data Source

Rdk2007,
> Thanks for your reply. I tried to create an Access data source,
> pointing it to the mapped drive. It wasn't working. To ensure that the
> data source was set up correctly, I tried pointing it to the DB's
> original location and it worked. So, I am wondering if there is some
> authentication that I am missing or if there is some additional
> security.
>
> In addition, I tried to directly edit my connection string. If I point
> to the local C drive (on the MS server itself) it works fine... if I
> change it to the mapped novell drive, it doesn't connect.


OK. I have a 2003 server, running Citrix, that has an app that accesse an
Access DB on a novell server and it works just fine.

What I'd do in your case is to get a packet trace, taken on the Win box
when it does not work. You should see ODBC trying to access the file. What
does the conversation look like?

Also, it might be worth while to try an app like QTAdo.exe and see if you
can open the file from that (it uses ODBC also)

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
rdk2007 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ODBC Data Source

Thanks for your help! I was able to get it to work. I had to create a NDS account, giving it the same username and password as my IUSR_ComputerName on my MS server. I used this article to look up the password: rafelo: Retrieve the IUSR (Anonymous) password using the IIS Resource Kit Metabase Explorer



AndersG;1877846 wrote:
Rdk2007,
> Thanks for your reply. I tried to create an Access data source,
> pointing it to the mapped drive. It wasn't working. To ensure that the
> data source was set up correctly, I tried pointing it to the DB's
> original location and it worked. So, I am wondering if there is some
> authentication that I am missing or if there is some additional
> security.
>
> In addition, I tried to directly edit my connection string. If I point
> to the local C drive (on the MS server itself) it works fine... if I
> change it to the mapped novell drive, it doesn't connect.


OK. I have a 2003 server, running Citrix, that has an app that accesse an
Access DB on a novell server and it works just fine.

What I'd do in your case is to get a packet trace, taken on the Win box
when it does not work. You should see ODBC trying to access the file. What
does the conversation look like?

Also, it might be worth while to try an app like QTAdo.exe and see if you
can open the file from that (it uses ODBC also)

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)


Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms
0 Likes
snidelydev Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ODBC Data Source

Thanks for the followup -- that's new information for at least some of us!

/dps

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.