Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

OES 11.2 and NetWare 6.5 sitting in a tree ...

I have a NetWare 6.5 tree here at work and we are planning on migrating to OES 11.2/2015 but are waiting on some hardware to come in and then to make some more decisions (slow-moving place we have here ... obviously).

My question is this: can I add an OES 11.2 server to our tree as it sits right now (eDirectory 8.7+) so that I can start using some of the newer appliances (Filr, iPrint Mobile, etc.) and then slowly start migrating over the NetWare servers as times permits (and hardware comes in ... waiting on our new SAN). Will our current NetWare servers coexist nicely for the time being until I start killing them off?

Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
23 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

tombott;2348955 wrote:
VM's for me, my old 6.5 setup had been virtualised as well.

Wow, shows how far behind we are. These 10 year old NetWare servers need to go away for me to sleep better at night.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

tombott;2348957 wrote:
It was a ballache when it came to GroupWise, as we had to FID edit each user on the new system to ensure we could archive from old and into new. Then for 6 months we had Netware 6.5 for file, primary login and ZenWork with SLES 11 on new tree with GroupWise 2012 for email. All worked out well in the end thought and allowed me to move across at my own pace, so gave me plenty of time to get my head around ZenWorks 11 etc.

That's what I want to gain ... time. I also would love to be able to move, ultimately, to the 64-bit pools that OES 2015 is going to bring to the table just as we start bringing more and more video on campus. Those files sure to add up quick.

kjhurni;2348958 wrote:
You should be good to go then. Just make sure you're as fully patched as possible. We haven't done a migration from NW to OES11 SP2. I think the last upgrade from NW was onto OES2 SP3. We had a few minor bugs/issues by the time we got to the last item.

There was one funky bug with certain directories that were failing, but I believe that was from OES2 to OES11 and something with the necessary Linux attributes not being set properly on the source volume (ie, migrated from NW 6.5 to OES2 and the volume object on the OES2 system was missing something).

If you run into issues, please don't hesitate to post (probably in the migration sub-forum).

--Kevin

I will do just that. Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I currently have the following in same tree:
OES11 SP2, eDir 8.8.8
OES2 SP2, eDir 8.8.5
Netware 6.5 SP8, eDir 8.8.5
Netware 5.1 SP7, eDir 8.7.3.7

No problems. Other than, as you can see, not enough time and plenty of other obstacles for doing upgrades.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

vatson;2348966 wrote:
I currently have the following in same tree:
OES11 SP2, eDir 8.8.8
OES2 SP2, eDir 8.8.5
Netware 6.5 SP8, eDir 8.8.5
Netware 5.1 SP7, eDir 8.7.3.7

No problems. Other than, as you can see, not enough time and plenty of other obstacles for doing upgrades.

This post makes me very happy.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Well, an OES 11.2 server is now sitting in the tree as the replica master and now houses our CA. Now I will pick up the pieces as they come falling down around my head. 😉
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

boblmartens;2349003 wrote:
Well, an OES 11.2 server is now sitting in the tree as the replica master and now houses our CA. Now I will pick up the pieces as they come falling down around my head. 😉

Nah, you should be fine. If eDir is working and users can authenticate, that's usually where stuff goes wrong (in my experience)
iPrint migrations are the "easiest" in the sense that you can test them before cutting over (assuming you are using DNS-based iprint on your NW boxes).
NSS data is fairly good about being moved.

GroupWise is a piece of cake (although if not doing an ID transfer, you'll have to spend some time editing the eDir objects and rebuilding the databases to have the new/correct IP's and UNC paths).

--Kevin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

tombott;2348957 wrote:
It was a ballache when it came to GroupWise, as we had to FID edit each user on the new system to ensure we could archive from old and into new. Then for 6 months we had Netware 6.5 for file, primary login and ZenWork with SLES 11 on new tree with GroupWise 2012 for email. All worked out well in the end thought and allowed me to move across at my own pace, so gave me plenty of time to get my head around ZenWorks 11 etc.

If you move to GW 2014, this is a bit easier than in 2012, since 2014 is exclusively LDAP-based for outside directories but it still takes some fiddling.

If you're not already using LDAP authentication for GroupWise authentication, there are a number of issues you run into.

The biggest difference I've seen in the move from NW6.5SP8 to OES 11 for data servers is in the arena of password policies.
I have a password policy for my container that Netware would partially follow. OES 11 is more consistent in that regard.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

gathagan;2349019 wrote:
If you move to GW 2014, this is a bit easier than in 2012, since 2014 is exclusively LDAP-based for outside directories but it still takes some fiddling.

If you're not already using LDAP authentication for GroupWise authentication, there are a number of issues you run into.

The biggest difference I've seen in the move from NW6.5SP8 to OES 11 for data servers is in the arena of password policies.
I have a password policy for my container that Netware would partially follow. OES 11 is more consistent in that regard.

That's good to hear. The good news is that these servers are primarily used for two things: files and eDirectory. Will make things a little bit simpler.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

boblmartens wrote:

> My question is this: can I add an OES 11.2 server to our tree as it
> sits right now (eDirectory 8.7+) so that I can start using some of
> the newer appliances (Filr, iPrint Mobile, etc.) and then slowly
> start migrating over the NetWare servers as times permits (and
> hardware comes in ... waiting on our new SAN). Will our current
> NetWare servers coexist nicely for the time being until I start
> killing them off?

Probably, but I'd recommend upgrading the NW65 box to eDir 8.8 first to
be safe.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
Supercharge your IT knowledge. http://www.novell.com/techtalks/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

jmarton;2349033 wrote:
boblmartens wrote:

> My question is this: can I add an OES 11.2 server to our tree as it
> sits right now (eDirectory 8.7+) so that I can start using some of
> the newer appliances (Filr, iPrint Mobile, etc.) and then slowly
> start migrating over the NetWare servers as times permits (and
> hardware comes in ... waiting on our new SAN). Will our current
> NetWare servers coexist nicely for the time being until I start
> killing them off?

Probably, but I'd recommend upgrading the NW65 box to eDir 8.8 first to
be safe.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
Supercharge your IT knowledge. http://www.novell.com/techtalks/

If this becomes a more permanent solution, I will definitely do that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2348958 wrote:
You should be good to go then. Just make sure you're as fully patched as possible. We haven't done a migration from NW to OES11 SP2. I think the last upgrade from NW was onto OES2 SP3. We had a few minor bugs/issues by the time we got to the last item.

There was one funky bug with certain directories that were failing, but I believe that was from OES2 to OES11 and something with the necessary Linux attributes not being set properly on the source volume (ie, migrated from NW 6.5 to OES2 and the volume object on the OES2 system was missing something).

If you run into issues, please don't hesitate to post (probably in the migration sub-forum).

--Kevin

if going from NCS on Netware to NCS on SLES , there's an issue where the NCS volumes attrbiutes are not populated. Also you have to enable the XATTR attributes in NSS on SLES , otherwise you don't have the edir metadata when you do a restore and while you have files, you have no idea what the rights are. Also you need to have NFS namespace setup on your NW6.5 servers (and they have to br at SP8) for the MIGGUI to work properly
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

boblmartens;2348950 wrote:
Thanks, more for me to test!

Another question: are you still installing on bare metal or using VMs?

Both, but 90% VM, it's too easy to not do
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.