Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1757 views

OES 11 (SLES 11 SP2) on Hyper-V

Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?

Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the resulting
machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)

On CentOS it is easy to correct:
http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/

but with SLES I was not yet lucky.

I get all sorts of errors like:

mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting

and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map

Any help appreciated

Seb


Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are you using Hyper-V 2012 R2?

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes

Seb

"peterkuo" <peterkuo@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:peterkuo.6a9yrz@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Are you using Hyper-V 2012 R2?
>
>
> --
> --
> -eDirectory Rules!-
>
> Peter
> www.DreamLAN.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> peterkuo's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=88
> View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=475119
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anybody?

Nobody user SLES 11 SP2 on Hyper-V?

Surely that should not be as difficult

Seb

"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>
> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the resulting
> machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>
> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>
> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>
> I get all sorts of errors like:
>
> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>
> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Seb
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One could try this:

http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/

but chroot errors (while booted from SLES 11 SP2 media to rescue)

chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory



Seb

"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>
> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the resulting
> machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>
> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>
> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>
> I get all sorts of errors like:
>
> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>
> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Seb
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 03/04/2014 01:48 AM, Sebastian Cerazy wrote:
> Anybody?
>
> Nobody user SLES 11 SP2 on Hyper-V?
>
> Surely that should not be as difficult


SLES 11 or not, I haven't seen anybody using Hyper-V outside of one-off
cases here or there (vs. in production for the infrastructure), and have
never seen anybody moving to it from VMware, so it may just be that you
are blazing new trails with this type of a VM change.

Perhaps another route to take is to install a new SLES system under
hyper-v and see which kernel packages are used, and look at the initrd
file from there as well. This may let you know what to install before
converting from the VMware setup to the other option.

You could probably also use the migration options for OES to move the
identity from your current server to the system running under hyper-v.
This could have benefits in terms of cleanliness of the solution since
you're not taking something pristine, putting it through unknown
converters, and then hoping it works in a foreign infrastructure but
instead are having the two Linux systems arrange the transfer of identity.

Just some thoughts...

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, following properly (missed the step to mount the root directory of the
failed VM as "/mnt" )

http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/

Then once chrroted

mkinitrd -d /dev/sda2 generated initrd from kdump WITH Hyper-V drivers & VM
is usable!

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/476780-boot-failure-mkinitrd-does-not-understand-that-dev-sda-has-become-dev-sde

Can't believe that it was so painful to find the right info

Seb



"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:MfiRu.5281$8g7.461@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> One could try this:
>
> http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/
>
> but chroot errors (while booted from SLES 11 SP2 media to rescue)
>
> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
>
>
>
> Seb
>
> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
> news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>>
>> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the resulting
>> machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>>
>> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
>> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>>
>> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>>
>> I get all sorts of errors like:
>>
>> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>>
>> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
>> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>>
>> Any help appreciated
>>
>> Seb
>>

>
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just to finish it off, after converted machine boots fine, there is a small
matter of removing tools & fixing networking as per links below:

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc%2FGUID-6F7BE33A-3B8A-4C57-9C35-656CE05BE22D.html

http://www.vcritical.com/2010/10/getting-eth0-back-in-a-sles-for-vmware-clone/

All done

Seb

"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:4YiRu.5288$8g7.3907@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> Ok, following properly (missed the step to mount the root directory of the
> failed VM as "/mnt" )
>
> http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/
>
> Then once chrroted
>
> mkinitrd -d /dev/sda2 generated initrd from kdump WITH Hyper-V drivers &
> VM is usable!
>
> http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/476780-boot-failure-mkinitrd-does-not-understand-that-dev-sda-has-become-dev-sde
>
> Can't believe that it was so painful to find the right info
>
> Seb
>
>
>
> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
> news:MfiRu.5281$8g7.461@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>> One could try this:
>>
>> http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/
>>
>> but chroot errors (while booted from SLES 11 SP2 media to rescue)
>>
>> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
>>
>>
>>
>> Seb
>>
>> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
>> news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>>> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>>>
>>> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the
>>> resulting machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>>>
>>> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
>>> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>>>
>>> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>>>
>>> I get all sorts of errors like:
>>>
>>> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>>>
>>> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
>>> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated
>>>
>>> Seb
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also (unsupported), but works fine is SLES 11 SP1

Seb

"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>
> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the resulting
> machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>
> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>
> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>
> I get all sorts of errors like:
>
> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>
> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Seb
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

And to completely have it done, one might need to convert ie single vmdk (in
my case just NSS pool drive)

VBoxManage from VirtualBox does perfect job

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VHD
"G:\Temp\Intraweb(vm-11252)\Intraweb_NSS-flat.vmdk" "i:\cloned.vhd"

Seb


"Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
news:vIkRu.5302$8g7.2904@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
> Just to finish it off, after converted machine boots fine, there is a
> small matter of removing tools & fixing networking as per links below:
>
> https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc%2FGUID-6F7BE33A-3B8A-4C57-9C35-656CE05BE22D.html
>
> http://www.vcritical.com/2010/10/getting-eth0-back-in-a-sles-for-vmware-clone/
>
> All done
>
> Seb
>
> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
> news:4YiRu.5288$8g7.3907@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>> Ok, following properly (missed the step to mount the root directory of
>> the failed VM as "/mnt" )
>>
>> http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/
>>
>> Then once chrroted
>>
>> mkinitrd -d /dev/sda2 generated initrd from kdump WITH Hyper-V drivers &
>> VM is usable!
>>
>> http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/476780-boot-failure-mkinitrd-does-not-understand-that-dev-sda-has-become-dev-sde
>>
>> Can't believe that it was so painful to find the right info
>>
>> Seb
>>
>>
>>
>> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
>> news:MfiRu.5281$8g7.461@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>>> One could try this:
>>>
>>> http://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/rescuing-susie/
>>>
>>> but chroot errors (while booted from SLES 11 SP2 media to rescue)
>>>
>>> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Seb
>>>
>>> "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message
>>> news:PK%Pu.4064$8g7.2178@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com...
>>>> Anybody has an idea how to move OES 11 VM from Vmware to Hyper-V?
>>>>
>>>> Of course I can "convert" using VMM or 5nine Converter, but the
>>>> resulting machine will not boot (missing HV drivers)
>>>>
>>>> On CentOS it is easy to correct:
>>>> http://blog.earth-works.com/2013/05/14/fan-fully-automated-nagios-hyper-v-kernel-panic-switchroot-mount-failed-no-such-file-or-directory/
>>>>
>>>> but with SLES I was not yet lucky.
>>>>
>>>> I get all sorts of errors like:
>>>>
>>>> mkinitrd: Can't create temp dir, exiting
>>>>
>>>> and if I try to redo the initrd BEFORE move then I get:
>>>> mkinitrd Could not find map hv_vmbus/boot/System.map
>>>>
>>>> Any help appreciated
>>>>
>>>> Seb
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.