UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

OES 11 as VM Host (not Xen/KVM)

Hi,

I have a demand here to add a server to our branches, this server have a prebuilt image, and is recommended to run as a VM.
We have OES 11 running on these branches, as physical machines.

I know that I can install OES over Xen or KVM, but these OES servers are already installed, I cannot just move them to Xen or KVM (and the hardware running them is known to have issues with Xen).

My question is, is it possible (or safe) to run a full virtualization infrastructure, like virtualbox, qemu or vmware server ontop an OES 11 server?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jqueiroz;2393285 wrote:
Hi,

I have a demand here to add a server to our branches, this server have a prebuilt image, and is recommended to run as a VM.
We have OES 11 running on these branches, as physical machines.

I know that I can install OES over Xen or KVM, but these OES servers are already installed, I cannot just move them to Xen or KVM (and the hardware running them is known to have issues with Xen).

My question is, is it possible (or safe) to run a full virtualization infrastructure, like virtualbox, qemu or vmware server ontop an OES 11 server?

Vmware doesn't run on top of anything. You'll be required to re-format the drives. VMware *is* the host OS.
I believe Novell only supports OES as a host with XEN, with the following caveats --which pretty much neutered the ability to use it as a host (IMO).

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/run-virtualized.html
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/run-virtualized-why-oes-host.html

I'm guessing your OES server already has eDir on it (which isn't listed as a support service)

Your only viable alternative, IMO, is to cart out another physical server to the branch, install VMware on it, and then P to V (we used the miggui) to migrate the physical OES instance to the VM Guest.

That's what we did for almost 30 branches. Although in our case it was *also* to replaced hardware that was 6-7 years old, so we killed 2 birds with one stone.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks for the quick response.

kjhurni;2393289 wrote:
Vmware doesn't run on top of anything. You'll be required to re-format the drives. VMware *is* the host OS.

There used to be "VMware player" and "VMware Server", both run over another OS. Maybe you're confusing "VMware ESX" with "VMware"? Or am I just outdated?

By the way, I don't need a "high performance / high availability" solution. I just don't want to have to install the new server on a workstation. 😞
I believe Novell only supports OES as a host with XEN, with the following caveats --which pretty much neutered the ability to use it as a host (IMO).

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/run-virtualized.html
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/run-virtualized-why-oes-host.html

I'm guessing your OES server already has eDir on it (which isn't listed as a support service)

Yes, unfortunately. eDir, Replicas, NSS... and NCS.

Your only viable alternative, IMO, is to cart out another physical server to the branch, install VMware on it, and then P to V (we used the miggui) to migrate the physical OES instance to the VM Guest.

That's what we did for almost 30 branches. Although in our case it was *also* to replaced hardware that was 6-7 years old, so we killed 2 birds with one stone.

--Kevin

I was hoping that there was some alternative... we have 12 branches, where 3 of them was recently upgraded to OES 11 / NCS. The rest of them still runs OES 2, with older hardware that was scheduled to be replaced this year, but we had decided not to virtualize yet.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jqueiroz;2393291 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.

There used to be "VMware player" and "VMware Server", both run over another OS. Maybe you're confusing "VMware ESX" with "VMware"? Or am I just outdated?

By the way, I don't need a "high performance / high availability" solution. I just don't want to have to install the new server on a workstation. 😞

Yes, unfortunately. eDir, Replicas, NSS... and NCS.

I was hoping that there was some alternative... we have 12 branches, where 3 of them was recently upgraded to OES 11 / NCS. The rest of them still runs OES 2, with older hardware that was scheduled to be replaced this year, but we had decided not to virtualize yet.

I believe VMware server went away and now it's just ESXi
VMware Workstation still exists
as does VMware Player (or last time I checked)

But Novell doesn't support any of those on OES host

Now, that doesn't mean you couldn't make it work (with workstation anyway), but it's been ages since I ran workstation on linux.

My other colleagues may have some other ideas, but again not support, but may work for what you need it to do. I've definitely had to do "unsupported" things to make stuff work.

🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.