UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1822 views

OES 11 dhcp issue

Trying to set up my last oes dns/dhcp server at a remote site. FYI
it's the same address as the nw65sp8 one I'm replacing, but I remove
edir, etc, do the old dhcp/dns server removal.

Server gets build, oes installed, dhcp & dns set up. I create a
service, subnets, zones, pools, tsig key, etc, set up (as far as I can
tell) *exactly* the same as my other services, pools, etc.

After I get everything set up, and also after I reload dns & dhcp
services, I can get this server to assign an ip address one time.

After that, I get an error in the client:

Access is denied.

I see these in /var/log/messages:

DHCPREQUEST for <ipaddress> from <mac-address> via eth0: wrong network

Unable to add forward map from <FDN of pc> to <ipaddress>: bad DNS key

My tsig & dns keys are identical, and are 8 chars long.

What gives? Any suggestions?

--
Stevo
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The first message indicates, that there is something wrong with the
network/subnet setup. I did not encounter this particular message but
I'd check, if the IP setup (ip-address/subnet) of eth0 is a dhcp subnet
which this server is servicing. Sometimes these types of messages is
also caused by multihomed PCs - in my experience Linux and very old
Windows (like Windows NT) sometimes try to get the IP-address for one
interface via DHCP over the other interface - of course, that never
succeeds and in the end they get their IP-address from the right
dhcp-server; but these unsuccessful attempts may be found in the logs
of the dhcp-server.

Regarding your second question: your TSIG keys are also named
identical? This is necessary for a successful updating of the dns
entries.

--
W. Prindl


Stevo wrote:

>Trying to set up my last oes dns/dhcp server at a remote site. FYI
>it's the same address as the nw65sp8 one I'm replacing, but I remove
>edir, etc, do the old dhcp/dns server removal.
>
>Server gets build, oes installed, dhcp & dns set up. I create a
>service, subnets, zones, pools, tsig key, etc, set up (as far as I can
>tell) exactly the same as my other services, pools, etc.
>
>After I get everything set up, and also after I reload dns & dhcp
>services, I can get this server to assign an ip address one time.
>
>After that, I get an error in the client:
>
>Access is denied.
>
>I see these in /var/log/messages:
>
>DHCPREQUEST for <ipaddress> from <mac-address> via eth0: wrong network
>
>Unable to add forward map from <FDN of pc> to <ipaddress>: bad DNS key
>
>My tsig & dns keys are identical, and are 8 chars long.
>
>What gives? Any suggestions?


W. Prindl
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

W_ Prindl sounds like they 'said':

> The first message indicates, that there is something wrong with the
> network/subnet setup. I did not encounter this particular message but
> I'd check, if the IP setup (ip-address/subnet) of eth0 is a dhcp
> subnet which this server is servicing. Sometimes these types of
> messages is also caused by multihomed PCs - in my experience Linux
> and very old Windows (like Windows NT) sometimes try to get the
> IP-address for one interface via DHCP over the other interface - of
> course, that never succeeds and in the end they get their IP-address
> from the right dhcp-server; but these unsuccessful attempts may be
> found in the logs of the dhcp-server.


Here is the setup for this location:

Server subnet: 10.71.10.0/24 (non-dhcp)

The server only has one nic w/ address 10.71.10.15.

I've had to setup a subnet in the dhcp service for the server address,
but it's not set to assign dhcp addresses to this subnet.

Client subnet: 10.71.1.0/24 (dhcp pool set up on this subnet)

> Regarding your second question: your TSIG keys are also named
> identical? This is necessary for a successful updating of the dns
> entries.


TSIG keys are identical on dhcp service as well as in dns.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

W_ Prindl sounds like they 'said':

> The first message indicates, that there is something wrong with the
> network/subnet setup. I did not encounter this particular message but
> I'd check, if the IP setup (ip-address/subnet) of eth0 is a dhcp
> subnet which this server is servicing. Sometimes these types of
> messages is also caused by multihomed PCs - in my experience Linux
> and very old Windows (like Windows NT) sometimes try to get the
> IP-address for one interface via DHCP over the other interface - of
> course, that never succeeds and in the end they get their IP-address
> from the right dhcp-server; but these unsuccessful attempts may be
> found in the logs of the dhcp-server.
>
> Regarding your second question: your TSIG keys are also named
> identical? This is necessary for a successful updating of the dns
> entries.


So my response to W's comment is...

Tried it again, this time being a different IP address than the nw65sp8
(I was replacing the nw65sp8 box before), seems to work fine now.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.