Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2 - Anti-Virus Solutions

Good Morning,
We are in the process of migrating from NetWare 6.5 to OES 2 Linux. We have been a happy Symantec customer for years, however it seems their Linux support is lacking. The way Symantec worked on NetWare was there was a central Windows Server that receives the A/V update that pushed it to all the NetWare file server which in turn pushed it to all the Windows XP Pro workstations. What are folks using out there for Linux? Is there a offering that will do the job on Linux that Symantec did on NetWare? I am investigation serveral right now but would like to hear from customers that are using a solution that they are happy with.
Thanks!
Rob
Labels (2)
0 Likes
43 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: OES 2 - Anti-Virus Solutions

In article <4869DF50.6663.005A.0@domain.com>, rob@domain.com says...
> Good Morning,
> We are in the process of migrating from NetWare 6.5 to OES 2 Linux. We have been a happy Symantec customer for years, however it seems their Linux support is lacking. The way Symantec worked on NetWare was there was a central Windows Server that receives the A/V update that pushed it to all the NetWare file server which in turn pushed it to all the Windows XP Pro workstations. What are folks using out there for Linux? Is there a offering that will do the job on

Linux that Symantec did on NetWare? I am investigation serveral right now but would like to hear from customers that are using a solution that they are happy with.
> Thanks!
> Rob

McAfee LinuxShield

I believe TrendMicro has a nice Linux one too
I think so does ClamAV (hope I spelled that right).

Since we use McAfee, it was kinda a no-brainer to switch from NetShield
to LinuxShield.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

We are a Symatec shop as well. However, Symantec does not have a central console for Linux. They treat Linux as a workstation. Each server has to get their update directly from the Internet or scipt something to push the AV signatures. Their tech support was no help either. Not a very happy customer right now. I too would love to hear from people out there that has a good Linux experience.

"Robert" <rob@domain.com> wrote in message news:4869DF50.6663.005A.0@domain.com...
Good Morning,
We are in the process of migrating from NetWare 6.5 to OES 2 Linux. We have been a happy Symantec customer for years, however it seems their Linux support is lacking. The way Symantec worked on NetWare was there was a central Windows Server that receives the A/V update that pushed it to all the NetWare file server which in turn pushed it to all the Windows XP Pro workstations. What are folks using out there for Linux? Is there a offering that will do the job on Linux that Symantec did on NetWare? I am investigation serveral right now but would like to hear from customers that are using a solution that they are happy with.
Thanks!
Rob
0 Likes
chas1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The symantec version has to be configured at the workstation level. However, the automatic updates and the scheduled scan work fine. The major problem is that you will find the realtime scanning probably will not function with the version of the kernel, and there is no way around this problem until symantec fix it. I have the scheduled scans kick in every night (rather than weekly) to try to get around this problem.
The program is easy to install and needs a java realtime installed as well.

Regards,

ChasR.
0 Likes
chas1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

By The way, if you already have the discs for the Symantec Anti-virus, the linux version is already on them. Just install!

ChasR.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Is that so? I'm a linux newbie. Would it be possible to share your script
on how you accomplished this? Thanks in advance...

"chas" <chas@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:chas.3c0pzb@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> The symantec version has to be configured at the workstation level.
> However, the automatic updates and the scheduled scan work fine. The
> major problem is that you will find the realtime scanning probably will
> not function with the version of the kernel, and there is no way around
> this problem until symantec fix it. I have the scheduled scans kick in
> every night (rather than weekly) to try to get around this problem.
> The program is easy to install and needs a java realtime installed as
> well.
>
> Regards,
>
> ChasR.
>
>
> --
> chas
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> chas's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=4084
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=334730
>

0 Likes
chas1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The Linux progs are on disc 2, under the SAVFL subdirectory. Underneath this is a DOCS directory where the installation information is given. One document is for the linux client whilst the other is for the linux server.

The information for the server installation is very clear, but remember that the java runtime must be installed (first) before the anti-virus. Use Yast, software for this java installation.

Cheers,

ChasR.
0 Likes
TJohnson-LCSD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am also looking for a SLES10/OES2 AV solution. We currently use a combination of AVG and Symantec and neither offer a good Linux solution.

I have been testing McAfee on SLES10/OES2 and they seem to support it and the client is easy to install and manage, however, we have had issues with the on demand scanning pegging the CPU at 100% and causing some delays when opening programs, iManager, NoRM, even Firefox.

Anybody run into this high CPU utilization problem and is there another AV solution that uses less resources.

TIA,

Tim
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Tim,
How does McAfee push the A/V update to the Windows workstations? Does it do this from the Linux server or from a Windows 2003 server?
thanks!

>>> On 7/8/2008 at 4:46 PM, in message <tjohnsonlcsd.3c8yqo@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, tjohnsonlcsd<tjohnsonlcsd@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

I am also looking for a SLES10/OES2 AV solution. We currently use acombination of AVG and Symantec and neither offer a good Linuxsolution.

I have been testing McAfee on SLES10/OES2 and they seem to support itand the client is easy to install and manage, however, we have hadissues with the on demand scanning pegging the CPU at 100% and causingsome delays when opening programs, iManager, NoRM, even Firefox.

Anybody run into this high CPU utilization problem and is there anotherAV solution that uses less resources.

TIA,

Tim-- tjohnsonlcsd------------------------------------------------------------------------tjohnsonlcsd's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=2231View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=334730
0 Likes
bctechnology Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sophos is the best for enterprise class monitoring
0 Likes
kmeuskens Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am looking for an antivirus for a SLES server hosting an NSS file share - does anyone think ClamAV would work well for that? The ClamAV writeup describes it as 'designed for email'.....
0 Likes
solomin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use Kaspersky antivirus with nss/ncp shares. Bat, as i known, all antivirus use linux kernel i/o and they dont know following case: "open file"(for read olny) or "write file". If server with shares is heavy load, then antivirus software must group these case. Is there antivirus software with option "dont verify files when it only read"?
0 Likes
vindiola Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have been using McAfee as well. 1.5.1 on x86_64. We had some issues and called mcafee for support and they told us it was not supported on our version of the kernel. They support to 2.6.16.4? When we called for support, they said our kernel (2.6.16.54) was not supported, so no help.

They haven't update the kernel they support in over 8 months.

John Vindiola Senior Identity Engineer - iDENTiTYAUTOMATiON Email: myfrstname.mylastname@idauto.net
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:56:02 +0000, vindiola wrote:

> We have been using McAfee as well. 1.5.1 on x86_64. We had some issues
> and called mcafee for support and they told us it was not supported on
> our version of the kernel. They support to 2.6.16.4? When we called
> for support, they said our kernel (2.6.16.54) was not supported, so no
> help.

Now that's interesting... the pre-sales guy I spoke to at McAfee before
purchasing it said the kernel didn't matter. They provide the source so
it could be compiled against any kernel. That was one touted benefit
over Symantec since Symantec only provides builds for specific kernels
and doesn't give the source to compile against newer kernels.

--
Joe Marton
Novell Support Forum SysOp
See what GroupWise 8 can do for you.
http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kmeuskens;1721543 wrote:
I am looking for an antivirus for a SLES server hosting an NSS file share - does anyone think ClamAV would work well for that? The ClamAV writeup describes it as 'designed for email'.....

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that ClamAV doesn't support NSS. But I could be wrong.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.