cyberv Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2 Linux - Printers limitations ???

Hi !
I would like to know if there's any limitation or best pratices regarding the number of printers a server can handle ?

Exemple : We have 700 printers in our environnement under NDPD on 5 Netware 6.0 servers. We would like to migrate all these 700 printers on OES 2 Linux but we don't know how many OES 2 servers we need ?

There's any recommandations regarding iPrint and the maximum printers that can be handle be a single server ?

Thanx for your help 🙂

Eric
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Brunold Rainer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES 2 Linux - Printers limitations ???

Eric,

I just build a two node iprint oes 2 linux heartbeat cluster for our main locations but we have only about 50 printers there, so I have no numbers, but this is kind of interest for me and therefor I ask my Novell contact.

Rainer
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Depends if you want to use direct-print or do you want every printer
spooling on the print-server?
You can have loads of direct-print-enabled printers connected to the
datastore/manager cuz the job
is not sent to the server but direct to the printer immediatly.

cheers,
Anders Bengtsson

"cyberv" <cyberv@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:cyberv.3jggvc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Hi !
> I would like to know if there's any limitation or best pratices
> regarding the number of printers a server can handle ?
>
> Exemple : We have 700 printers in our environnement under NDPD on 5
> Netware 6.0 servers. We would like to migrate all these 700 printers on
> OES 2 Linux but we don't know how many OES 2 servers we need ?
>
> There's any recommandations regarding iPrint and the maximum printers
> that can be handle be a single server ?
>
> Thanx for your help 🙂
>
> Eric
>
>
> --
> cyberv
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> cyberv's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=22274
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=352137
>

0 Likes
cyberv Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, the purpose to have a Printer Manager like iPrint is bascally to be able to manage the job peoples send to their printers.

All the 700 printers that I have will passtrought the printer manager before they will NOT be sent directly to the printers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
gaclarks Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't have reference numbers but I can tell you I have 255 printers on an OES2 Linux VM. It seems ok.
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Eric,

it took some time but I heard a number of about 1000 printers per server. There is no official statement on this with more details on the number of print jobs, server sizing and so on. Sorry for that.

As you already know the number of printer per manager depends on the amount of print jobs, the size of the print jobs and so on. So do not calculate the server hardware too small. I would spend it at least a dual core cpu and about 2GB ram. Even if there are no print jobs it has to hold the communication with the printers.

Rainer
0 Likes
nebben Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Last year at Brainshare, I recall hearing from some iPrint folks from Novell that they were running a 250+ printer VM in a development environment. I believe we've gone overkill in our environment with 8GB RAM, 2.0GHz Core Duo and dual gigabit NICs ... serving approximately 110 printers. I'll start migrating to VM over this Christmas break to recover the hardware for other purposes.

-ben
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.