UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2 Volume Problem

I recently posted a thread in the eDirectory forums on NetIQ. The problem was when I tried to make a new eDirectory Volume, It would not show up on a users computer via the Novell Client. The "SYS" shows up, but the volume I made. I checked everything! The firewall, Installation of the NCP server and so on. It still won't show on the client. The forums people on NetIQ told me to discus this issue here. The orginal post is here. I'm running SLES 10 SP4 with Novell OES 2.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In the eDir thread, you seem to be using the term "volume" (which refers to the filesystem) and "volume object" (which is only in eDir) interchangeably. You can have NO Volume objects that corresponds to the physical volumes and still have access to them. Please clarify what exact steps you took and what you are trying to accomplish.

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peterkuo;2276041 wrote:
In the eDir thread, you seem to be using the term "volume" (which refers to the filesystem) and "volume object" (which is only in eDir) interchangeably. You can have NO Volume objects that corresponds to the physical volumes and still have access to them. Please clarify what exact steps you took and what you are trying to accomplish.

Let me start from the beginning. At first, I tried creating volume objects for each user. But then I see people say thats not recommended. So, I want to create one volume object, then create a directory inside of it for each user to have access to. But here is the problem, users can only see the "SYS" volume not the volume I created my self. Thats the hole situation. I should of made it clear before haha.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

But creating a volume object in eDirectory does not create a volume (file system). You do it the other way around - you create a volume (with say nssmu) and a volume object gets created automatically.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2276152 wrote:
But creating a volume object in eDirectory does not create a volume (file system). You do it the other way around - you create a volume (with say nssmu) and a volume object gets created automatically.

Sorry to sound stupid like on here, but how do you actually create a volume so a volume object can get created? I'm new to SLES. I'm only use to working with Windows. My apologies.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To start, do you have any FREE (unallocated/unpartitioned) space on the disk that you wish to create the volume on? If yes, you can use 'nssmu' for instance to create the said volume.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In order to create a Volume object, you need to have a PHYSICAL volume already created on a disk first. And the placement of that Volume object in your eDir tree (thus rights assignment in eDir) would determine if your users can see that object or not for access (and then filesystem level trustee rights takes over). On the other hand, you can always access a volume via, say, UNC path and the Volume object has no bearing on it - and the access would be determined by filesystem trustee rights.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 08/08/2013 07:56, peterkuo wrote:

> To start, do you have any FREE (unallocated/unpartitioned) space on the
> disk that you wish to create the volume on? If yes, you can use 'nssmu'
> for instance to create the said volume.

Not only that but what is the physical set up of disks in the server? I
deliberately said "disks" (plural) because unless you took extra steps
during the install (to configure EVMS which I doubt was done in this
case) then you can not add NSS pools/volumes to the first disk thus a
second disk required. Perhaps provide the output from "fdisk -l" so we
can disk(s) and partitions.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peterkuo;2276167 wrote:
To start, do you have any FREE (unallocated/unpartitioned) space on the disk that you wish to create the volume on? If yes, you can use 'nssmu' for instance to create the said volume.

Here is my setup. I have two Hard Drives. One witch contains SLES, eDirectory and so forth. Then HD two. HD 2 is the unallocated/unpartitioned space witch i want to create the volumes on.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

anthonycastro;2276242 wrote:
Here is my setup. I have two Hard Drives. One witch contains SLES, eDirectory and so forth. Then HD two. HD 2 is the unallocated/unpartitioned space witch i want to create the volumes on.

The docs are always a good place to start:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/stor_nss_lx/data/bqpdoh2.html

(note: The above assumes you already have a physical device, partition, and pool). But it will also show you the NSS doc index that covers how to create/manage a device, pool, etc.

Also, you can check out my guides, as I believe I have a section that walks you through setting up an NSS volume.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2276271 wrote:
The docs are always a good place to start:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/stor_nss_lx/data/bqpdoh2.html

(note: The above assumes you already have a physical device, partition, and pool). But it will also show you the NSS doc index that covers how to create/manage a device, pool, etc.

Also, you can check out my guides, as I believe I have a section that walks you through setting up an NSS volume.

Just one question, what partition type does it have to be? Like does it have to be NTFS, ext4, hfs+ and so on.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

anthonycastro wrote:

> Just one question, what partition type does it have to be? Like does
> it have to be NTFS, ext4, hfs+ and so on.

NSS is its own file system.

You start with an empty disk, follow the steps in the documentation,
and you're done. You then have a place to store your files.

We're here to help but some of the questions you are asking are pretty
basic. Things will make much more sense after you have read through the
documentation. Please do!

--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.