dcooke541 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2015 Upgrade and Windows Explorer Crashes

We have a one server environment. We recently updated from OES 11 SP2 to 2015 (this is running on SLES 11 SP3). I have noticed that when the NSS volume is mapped in Client 2 SP4 for Windows (IR1), after browsing through a few folders, windows explorer becomes unresponsive and will even crash at times. Usually this takes 1-3 minutes then it will recover, and happen again after browsing through a few different folders.

Originally I thought this was only happening on Windows 10 machines but yesterday I was able to recreate this on a Windows 7 machine. I will say this is the only time I have seen this happen on a Windows 7 computer though. We did not have an issue with either Windows version while on OES 11 SP2. Has anyone else seen this issue and know of a fix, or where I should begin looking to find the problem? Any information or advice would be much appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES 2015 Upgrade and Windows Explorer Crashes

We've seen this as well. It seems to be the combination of OES2015 and
the latest client. We went back to the SP3 client and the problem went away.

I think it is probably this TID

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016978

Robert

On 16/01/2016 12:56 AM, dcooke541 wrote:
>
> We have a one server environment. We recently updated from OES 11 SP2 to
> 2015 (this is running on SLES 11 SP3). I have noticed that when the NSS
> volume is mapped in Client 2 SP4 for Windows (IR1), after browsing
> through a few folders, windows explorer becomes unresponsive and will
> even crash at times. Usually this takes 1-3 minutes then it will
> recover, and happen again after browsing through a few different
> folders.
>
> Originally I thought this was only happening on Windows 10 machines but
> yesterday I was able to recreate this on a Windows 7 machine. I will say
> this is the only time I have seen this happen on a Windows 7 computer
> though. We did not have an issue with either Windows version while on
> OES 11 SP2. Has anyone else seen this issue and know of a fix, or where
> I should begin looking to find the problem? Any information or advice
> would be much appreciated!
>
>

0 Likes
dcooke541 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the info! If I can find a copy of client 2 SP3 I will install it and report back.
0 Likes
dcooke541 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I found a copy of client 2 SP3 IR10b and can confirm that this is a temporary fix. I am now able to quickly browse around the NSS volume with no issues. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next client release. Thanks again for the help!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dcooke541;2417090 wrote:
I found a copy of client 2 SP3 IR10b and can confirm that this is a temporary fix. I am now able to quickly browse around the NSS volume with no issues. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next client release. Thanks again for the help!

it's a server-side issue and hence can't be fixed in the Client. a Client older than SP4 will work around the issue just because it simply doesn't know anything about the 64bit APIs and therefore doesn't use them. rather than downgrading Clients i'd fix it at the root. just open an SR and you'll get the corresponding ncpenc rpm within minutes.
0 Likes
dcooke541 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mathiasbraun;2417123 wrote:
it's a server-side issue and hence can't be fixed in the Client. a Client older than SP4 will work around the issue just because it simply doesn't know anything about the 64bit APIs and therefore doesn't use them. rather than downgrading Clients i'd fix it at the root. just open an SR and you'll get the corresponding ncpenc rpm within minutes.

Thanks for the info! I submitted an SR and was sent the rpm. After installing it, and testing, all is well again.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.