Highlighted
pwolff2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2018: Issues during the upgrade from OES2015SP1

Everyone,

I tried an upgrade on one of our non-critical servers and have run into a number of problems. This server is our School district's secondary DNS Server (Novell-DNS) and that service refuses to start. I am assuming it is because of Novell DNS (novell-named) won't start if the options sections is too big per TID 7022425. I can't do the workaround of removing zones because I need all the zones I have setup in order for the District to function properly, and I have had no issues with all previous version of server software going back through Netware 6.0. The next issue is the web server services failing to start due to the upgrade failing to modify ALL apache2 scripts to the new syntax. I found a location where I had to modify an Include to IncludeOptional to fix the service and get it to run. I still can't get Nagios under the OES Remote Manager to display anything. It shows graphs but it contains no data. We also had the Zenworks Agent 17.1 installed and it failed to start. I now have it running (started the services) but can't figure out a way to display the desktop icon in order to check the agent setup/settings.

Has anyone had better luck and/or other workarounds to the problems I am running into, DNS,Zenworks,NRM, Web, etc. ? Please let me know how you are coping and I am holding off installing any additional upgrades until I have some answers to these issues.

Thanks for listening.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES 2018: Issues during the upgrade from OES2015SP1

pwolff2000;2471464 wrote:
Everyone,

I tried an upgrade on one of our non-critical servers and have run into a number of problems. This server is our School district's secondary DNS Server (Novell-DNS) and that service refuses to start. I am assuming it is because of Novell DNS (novell-named) won't start if the options sections is too big per TID 7022425. I can't do the workaround of removing zones because I need all the zones I have setup in order for the District to function properly, and I have had no issues with all previous version of server software going back through Netware 6.0. The next issue is the web server services failing to start due to the upgrade failing to modify ALL apache2 scripts to the new syntax. I found a location where I had to modify an Include to IncludeOptional to fix the service and get it to run. I still can't get Nagios under the OES Remote Manager to display anything. It shows graphs but it contains no data. We also had the Zenworks Agent 17.1 installed and it failed to start. I now have it running (started the services) but can't figure out a way to display the desktop icon in order to check the agent setup/settings.

Has anyone had better luck and/or other workarounds to the problems I am running into, DNS,Zenworks,NRM, Web, etc. ? Please let me know how you are coping and I am holding off installing any additional upgrades until I have some answers to these issues.

Thanks for listening.

My guess is that ZEN2017UPD2 will include support for OES2018, it's not supported at the moment: https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-1/zen_system_requirements/data/zen_system_requirements.html#brm023b

Thomas
0 Likes
greiner Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

You write "I found a location where I had to modify an Include to IncludeOptional to fix the service and get it to run."

What do you have done for Workaround?
I have the same Problem, imanager will not start!

And i have the Problem with the nss-volumes and all Information from this Forum wan't be a solution!
Who can help?

Thanks
0 Likes
greiner Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I have found a solution for a update of a previous Version from oes11 or oes2015!
You must remove any object manually before upgrading!
Cleaning Up eDirectory#
Here the notice in the documentation found after any time (not at beginning)
1.Use iManager to delete all the objects from the eDirectory tree.
2.Stop the ndsd daemon:
rcndsd stop
or
systemctl stop ndsd.service
3.Delete the eDirectory configuration file and eDirectory instance file.:
rm -f /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf
rm -f /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/.edir/instances.0
4.Delete the eDirectory database:
rm -rf /var/opt/novell/eDirectory/data/dib
5.Remove the server from the replica ring.

And it works, but deleting the eDirectory from the Server manually? It this a good way to make updates/Upgrades? Why not automatically during the update process!
And you must have a other eDirectory Server to do this! Be carefull by doing this!
Operation on open heart....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.