Highlighted
iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES 2018 repositories

2 of my OES 2018 servers don't seem to be pulling down the 2018 sp1 patch/update. I think there could be a missing repository. Is there a list someplace of what I should have for this update to come down automatically when I patch (I use zypper for patching).

Kind regards,

Val

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
shesser Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES 2018 repositories

iliadmin;2500537 wrote:
2 of my OES 2018 servers don't seem to be pulling down the 2018 sp1 patch/update. I think there could be a missing repository. Is there a list someplace of what I should have for this update to come down automatically when I patch (I use zypper for patching).

Kind regards,

Val

I believe that is considered an upgrade that needs to be done with either the SP1 media (inplace) or via the wagon upgrade

https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/inst_oes_lx/data/shared_sec_supported-upgrade-paths_2018.html
0 Likes
iliadmin Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Very sorry for the delayed answer.  I did end up doing the wagon update for both the servers and they were successful.  Thanks for the reply!

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Went to apply sp1 to another of my OES 2018 systems and after all the registration check/verification, etc. it displayed the info below (the conficts list). I didn't know what to choose, so I exited out as it's my eDirectory server and I didn't want to answer incorrectly and hose it. Why did this come up and what do I do to get SP1 installed on this system? I was using the wagon method to update/upgrade to SP1. TIA, Val ============================================================================== #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2019-07-02 18:22:58 #### product:Open_Enterprise_Server-2018.1-0.x86_64 obsoletes product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration provided by product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration-2018-26.2.x86_64 [ ] Following actions will be done: do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration-2018-26.2.x86_64 downgrade of novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.65.1.noarch to novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.64.1.noarch downgrade of novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.89.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.80.4.x86_64 downgrade of novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.32.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.30.7.x86_64 [ ] do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-2018.1-0.x86_64 product:Open_Enterprise_Server-2018.1-0.x86_64 requires product(Open_Enterprise_Server) = 2018.1-0, but this requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers: Open_Enterprise_Server-release-2018.1-1.367.x86_64[nu_novell_com:OES2018-SP1-Pool] [ ] Following actions will be done: do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration-2018-26.2.x86_64 downgrade of novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.65.1.noarch to novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.64.1.noarch downgrade of novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.89.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.80.4.x86_64 downgrade of novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.32.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.30.7.x86_64 [ ] do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-2018.1-0.x86_64 [ ] break product:Open_Enterprise_Server-2018.1-0.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies #### YaST2 conflicts list END ###
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

That looks like you've added some other channel iManager plug-ins, such as for full standalone eDir on Linux that are ahead of what is in the OES channel (newer than what I see on some up to date OES2018.1 boxes.  If so you are in weakly supported (i.e. not officially but you might get some support to clean up to a supported state.)

Make backs as you move forward, hopefully this is a virtual machine so you can take snap-shots.

This is the sort of thing I tend to defer to support to help though even if they encounter limits to what they can do to help you.

first suggestion outside support would be to remove those plug-ins if you can.  If virtual, can you make a copy, wipe the eDir and change the box's identity so that you can test extracting the problem parts and how updating would go.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply!  I think those got applied when I did the first zypper up after the server was established. The server is virtual and it is my master eDirectory server.  And it is a standalone eDirectory server. Nothing else.  So...I am squeemish about messing it up, of course.

So to be clear before I do my next scheduled updates, I should be choosing the option

"do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration-2018-26.2.x86_64
downgrade of novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.65.1.noarch to novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.64.1.noarch
downgrade of novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.89.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.80.4.x86_64
downgrade of novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.32.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.30.7.x86_64"

But before that I'll SNAPSHOT; then do the uninstall per the selection above.

Once those plugins are uninstalled, do I need to reboot the server before trying the SP1 migration again?

Kind regards,

Val

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I am concerned with those having come through the channel, that there may have been a problem that gave you ones the SP1 update can't handle. They are newer than I have on a box I just updated.  If you are on maintenance, please open a Service Request for this to make sure there aren't any other gotchas along the way.  Beyond that your plan looks good,  especially the snapshot of this single server tree.  If you can, make that snap shot while the box is shut down to have the cleanest image.

I don't believe those changes require any reboot, perhaps just a restart of tomcat
   systemctl restart novell-tomcat.service

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@iliadmin wrote:

So to be clear before I do my next scheduled updates, I should be choosing the option

"do not install product:Open_Enterprise_Server-SP1-migration-2018-26.2.x86_64
downgrade of novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.65.1.noarch to novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin-2.6.4-0.64.1.noarch
downgrade of novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.89.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-dfs-1.4.4-0.80.4.x86_64
downgrade of novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.32.5.x86_64 to novell-plugin-afp-1.5.5-0.30.7.x86_64"

But before that I'll SNAPSHOT; then do the uninstall per the selection above.

Hi Val,

That option is telling you that, if you proceed, the plugins will be downgraded. It's probably a good idea to uninstall them first but that may not be necessary.

The snapshot is a good idea, and as Andy suggested, done with the server shutdown. I wouldn't proceed without it.

@iliadmin wrote:

The server is virtual and it is my master eDirectory server.  And it is a standalone eDirectory server. Nothing else.  So...I am squeemish about messing it up, of course.

I'm not sure what you are saying...

1. This server contains your master replica but it is not the only server in the tree containing eDirectory?
  2. This server is the only server in the tree containing eDirectory?

If #1 is true, you may experience various issues should you attempt to restore a snapshot because that eDirectory would then be out of sync with copies on your other servers.

If #2 is true, there should be no issues restoring a snapshot but I would consider adding a second server to the tree so that you have a replica of your eDirectory should anything ever happen to it.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the reply and advice, Andy.  Will do on the SR opening.

Val

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Kevin,

Good questions - This server is the master replica, there is another eDirectory server in the tree.  If I had to rely on a snapshot for this specific server, I would assume that something could be done like promoting the replica to the master and then remove this server and fix the it and add it back in--something like that--I'd certainly ask if there was/is a procedure for this situation before even thinking of going there! 

Also Andy and Kevin, I didn't know about the snapshot when the server is shut down. Thank you both very much for that tip.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@iliadmin 

There is a way snapshots can work for you.

• Shutdown both servers.
  • Take your snapshot.
  • Work on your server leaving the other shut sown.

In this case you should have no problems reverting to your snapshot.

Now, whether or not this will work for you is for you to decide.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thanks, Kevin.  Food for thought. I think during my maintenance window I can make that actually work as everyone is off the network servers anyway.  Thank you for the input!

Val

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.