Highlighted
New Member.

OES 2018 sp1 = SLES sp4?

Looking to install Saltstack and their requirements are SLES sp4.  Is OES SP1 upgradeable to SLES sp4?

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2

Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

OES 2018 is no longer to be considered an addon to SLES. It's it's own OS in it's own right, so the answer is no.

Nonetheless, if you hace OES2018SP1, then "SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2" isn't right in any way. OES2018SP1 is based upon and will report als SLES12SP3

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

thanks for the reply! 

I do have just the OES 2018 installed. Not the SP1

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Just further on this:  If one is running OES2018 SP1, and has a second server for Groupwise, which can take SLES 2015, do I assume correctly that it would be best to leave the GW server at the same SLES version  as my OES install, SLES2012 SP3?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you don't have any OES components running on the GW box there's nothing wrong running it on SLES15. As i prefer NSS as the filesystem for GW databases i usually run GW on OES which implies the SLES version tied to it.

If you like it: like it.
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In my opinion, it's best to use OES for Groupwise too.

First, NSS beats all Linux filesystems in functionality, reliability and manageability by a huge margin.

Second, the pure SLES license you receive via your Groupwise license comes with no support for the OS whatsoever. I have had that problem recently, where a customer had a SR for his groupwise open that turned out to be a SLES problem in reality. Customer had to buy SLES support to get it solved.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Do you know if OES2018.1 with sles 2012.sp4 is on the way?  Because according to https://www.suse.com/lifecycle/ SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3's General support has already ended on 30 June 2019.

Is it that our OES annual maintenance subscriptions gives the LTSS patches etc that takes us to 30th June 2022?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Massimo

When you say: "the pure SLES license you receive via your Groupwise license comes with no support for the OS whatsoever. "

But if the underlying SLES was causing GW or OES issues, then that should be supported right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

OES boxes get the relevant SLES stuff via the OES Update channels. So essentially an OES 2018SP1 box will be more current on code than a plain SLES12SP3 box (without LTS).

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Again, don't look at SLES/Suse when you talk about OES. It's it's own OS now. As such, the SUSE lifecycle has no relevance, the OES lifecycle has. Your sever also does not talk to SUSE for patches.

So yes, you do get LTSS patches for your OES Servers vie their OES Update channel(s). The next SP for OES2018 (SP2) will take the SLES components underneath straight to SP5 level.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

That depends. If you're running GW on a OES box the let's call it "SLES-part" will be covered by OES support. If you're running GW on SLES15 !!! WITH the SLES code you get for GW !!! you don't have support for the OS. You'd have to purchase a "full-blown" SLES license in order to get this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@Jesus wrote:

Hi Massimo

When you say: "the pure SLES license you receive via your Groupwise license comes with no support for the OS whatsoever. "

But if the underlying SLES was causing GW or OES issues, then that should be supported right?

OES isn't relevant here, that's a different OS. When your groupwise running on SLES no longer functions because (as example), the TCP/IP stack in the pure SLES it runs on has a problem, you technically (and practically) have no support for that (if the SLES license is the one you get via your groupwise or OES license)

If it runs on OES however, you do *have* support for the OS too. 

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.