bpainter
Visitor.

OES 2018SP1/SLES12SP3 on vmware

Hi all,

After reviewing the documentation, and briefly looking at the forums, I do not see where it specifically states that running SLES12/OES2018 on vmware is supported. I do see Xen and KVM are obviously supported but would like to know if vmware (ESXi/vcenter 6.5) is supported? Are there any known issues running on vmware? My current production OES/SLES systems run quite well on vmware so I was hoping that this is a non-issue. This is for a test environment to work out any kinks but with an end goal of migrating production OES2015SP1/SLES11SP4 systems to OES2018SP1/SLES12SP3. I'll also ask this question here but if need be create a new post in the Migration forum - I've used the migration tool in the past to go from existing OES11 vms to new OES2015 vms without to many issues but was wondering if there are any major issues going from OES2015SP1/SLES11SP4 to OES2018SP1/SLES12SP4? I know the SLES12 base file system has changed to btrfs but that shouldn't affect moving NSS pools and other OES services to the latest platform, or is that a concern? I will thoroughly read the documentation and test before touching any production system but would appreciate any advice or caveats that you have experienced.

Current services:
DNS/DHCP
CIFS
iPrint
NSS
eDir
iMan
LUM
NCP
NRM
DSfW (testing)

Thanks,
bp
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES 2018SP1/SLES12SP3 on vmware

BPainter;2495893 wrote:
After reviewing the documentation, and briefly looking at the forums, I do not see where it specifically states that running SLES12/OES2018 on vmware is supported. I do see Xen and KVM are obviously supported but would like to know if vmware (ESXi/vcenter 6.5) is supported? Are there any known issues running on vmware? My current production OES/SLES systems run quite well on vmware so I was hoping that this is a non-issue. This is for a test environment to work out any kinks but with an end goal of migrating production OES2015SP1/SLES11SP4 systems to OES2018SP1/SLES12SP3. I'll also ask this question here but if need be create a new post in the Migration forum - I've used the migration tool in the past to go from existing OES11 vms to new OES2015 vms without to many issues but was wondering if there are any major issues going from OES2015SP1/SLES11SP4 to OES2018SP1/SLES12SP4? I know the SLES12 base file system has changed to btrfs but that shouldn't affect moving NSS pools and other OES services to the latest platform, or is that a concern? I will thoroughly read the documentation and test before touching any production system but would appreciate any advice or caveats that you have experienced.

Current services:
DNS/DHCP
CIFS
iPrint
NSS
eDir
iMan
LUM
NCP
NRM
DSfW (testing)

The short answer is yes, OES2018 SP1 (on SLES12 SP3) is supported as a guest VM on ESXi 6.5.

Now the long answer. Since OES2018 SP1 installs on top of SLES12 SP3 (although you don't necessarily see that when installing/updating) the question is really whether SLES12 SP3 is supported on ESXi 6.5 so we need to refer to SLES12 SP3 documentation.

Section 7.0 of the OES2018 SP1 Planning and Implementation Guide[1] includes

Open Enterprise Server runs as a VM guest on any virtual machine host server that is certified for running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 (SLES 12 SP3) as a paravirtualized guest. Because Xen and KVM are distributed with SLES, they are mentioned more particularly in the OES documentation.

For a list of the VM host platforms that are certified for SLES, see “Supported VM Host Servers for SLES VM Guests” in the SLES Virtualization Guide.

Section 7.2 of the SLES Virtualization Guide[2] includes VMware ESXi 5.5, 6.0, and 2016. Since this guide has been updated for SLES12 SP4 it perhaps need updating re VMware ESXi releases ... !

So we turn to VMware's Compatibility Guide[3] which includes SLES12 SP3 as a guest OS on ESXi 6.5 including U1 and U2.

As for your question about Btrfs, section 3.8 of the OES2018 SP1 Installation Guide[4] includes

Beginning with OES 2018, Ext4 is used as default file system because eDirectory 9.0 or later does not support Btrfs. Changing the default to Btrfs for OES 2018 or later results in eDirectory configuration failure.

HTH.

[1] https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/oes_implement_lx/data/run-virtualized.html
[2] https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/book_virt/data/virt_support_hosts.html
[3] https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=Software&productid=44381&vcl=true&supRel=243,273,338,172,271,272,274,275,276,367,396,398,369,408,437,427&testConfig=16
[4] https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/inst_oes_lx/data/t43x2shtsvrs.html
0 Likes
greiner Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

i was beta tester for oes2018sp1 from the first Version to the last Version beta public on vmware 5.5
I had never a Problem by installing or upgrading, MF/Novell prefer for all Versions a new Installation (not upgrade), what i have done.

with the released Version, i have twice /etc/etc Directory with files/directories included in /etc and /etc/etc
The first time i have done a upgrade from a oes2018-server, the i have done a new Installation with the same effect. I only Change the Keyboard of german language.

I have open a ticket by mf and then the engeener assist me and we have done a new Installation with the same effect. The engeener delele the /etc/etc Directory with temp-files and say "he had never see this effect" and will inform as soon as possible.
I am waiting since a week before upgrading the other Servers.
this for information
cg
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Cgreiner;2495914 wrote:
with the released Version, i have twice /etc/etc Directory with files/directories included in /etc and /etc/etc
The first time i have done a upgrade from a oes2018-server, the i have done a new Installation with the same effect. I only Change the Keyboard of german language.

I have open a ticket by mf and then the engeener assist me and we have done a new Installation with the same effect. The engeener delele the /etc/etc Directory with temp-files and say "he had never see this effect" and will inform as soon as possible.
this for information

Which OES components are you installing/upgrading?

Does /etc/etc duplicate /etc or do each directory have separate contents? If the latter is there a pattern as to which files/directories are installed into /etc/etc rather than /etc?

HTH.
bpainter
Visitor.

Thank you Simon. I had already read the info you referenced except the OES 2018 on ext4 - I haven't finished reading the new oes2018 documentation as of yet. Thank you for confirming the vmware/sles portion of my question as well as the detail of your response.

bp
0 Likes
bpainter
Visitor.

Cgreiner;2495914 wrote:
i was beta tester for oes2018sp1 from the first Version to the last Version beta public on vmware 5.5
I had never a Problem by installing or upgrading, MF/Novell prefer for all Versions a new Installation (not upgrade), what i have done.

this for information
cg

Thank you - I will keep this in mind during my installs.

bp
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.