Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
booktrunk1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1066 views

OES Backup

Hi.

OK, what is a good way to backup an OES Server these days. This includes data volumes with a couple of tb of data, and also Groupwise with 600gb of stoage.

Is there some software out there that I can use to just setup a reliable rsync job to say a QNAP (cheap rack mounted, with 8 or 16 drives in) ? and have a gui interface to check the jobs have run? Then I can once a week or once a month stick an external drive onto the QNAP to do a full backup that can go offsite. Will be moving over to VM machines at some point but we need a cheap / reliable way of doing it to keep us going to then.

Or should I load up a small hp server rack server with loads of disks to do similar? But is there some sort of gui backup that deals with this or do I need to look at sometime like sep sesam? or what other backup software works well with Novell.

They are going to be put into VM's at some point.

Cheers in advance for any ideas / inspiration.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES Backup

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:06:02 GMT, booktrunk
<booktrunk@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>Hi.
>
>OK, what is a good way to backup an OES Server these days. This
>includes data volumes with a couple of tb of data, and also Groupwise
>with 600gb of stoage.
>
>Is there some software out there that I can use to just setup a reliable
>rsync job to say a QNAP (cheap rack mounted, with 8 or 16 drives in) ?
>and have a gui interface to check the jobs have run? Then I can once a
>week or once a month stick an external drive onto the QNAP to do a full
>backup that can go offsite. Will be moving over to VM machines at some
>point but we need a cheap / reliable way of doing it to keep us going to
>then.
>
>Or should I load up a small hp server rack server with loads of disks to
>do similar? But is there some sort of gui backup that deals with this or
>do I need to look at sometime like sep sesam? or what other backup
>software works well with Novell.
>
>They are going to be put into VM's at some point.
>
>Cheers in advance for any ideas / inspiration.


You can rsync. I'm doing that here. I'm not aware of any GUI for it.
I just have a script that emails me when the rsync completes. For
GroupWise I would suggest looking at Reload.
http://www.gwava.com/reload-groupwise-disaster-recovery I use it and
it works great. I think you can have it use your QNAP for storage,
but check on that.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Highlighted
booktrunk1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Backup

Thanks for that 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Backup

KeN Etter wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:06:02 GMT, booktrunk
> <booktrunk@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:


>> OK, what is a good way to backup an OES Server these days. This
>> includes data volumes with a couple of tb of data, and also Groupwise
>> with 600gb of stoage.


>> Or should I load up a small hp server rack server with loads of disks to
>> do similar? But is there some sort of gui backup that deals with this or
>> do I need to look at sometime like sep sesam? or what other backup
>> software works well with Novell.


Not all backup products will work with NSS. Sesam and IBM Tivoli TSM
will do the trick, but for example Amanda will not include Novell
Trustees in the backup archives. I am not aware of any free backup
solution that supports NSS.

> You can rsync. I'm doing that here. I'm not aware of any GUI for it.
> I just have a script that emails me when the rsync completes.


Just be careful with rsync if you want to include all metadata in the
backup. For me rsync will not copy Novell Trustees in a reliable way.

Günther

0 Likes
mmccaffe1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Backup

If you are going to use rsync. You could run nbackup to backup trustee rights with the --exclude-file-data parameter so that it just backs up all the trustee information. Example nbackup -cf vol-trustees.sdif --exclude-file-data -U backupuser.novell -P secretpw -R fileserver /media/nss/VOL1
This will backup all the trustee data. You can then restore the rsync data and then use nbackup -xf to restore the trustees. This is all command line though.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.