Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Ensign
Ensign

OES Client 2 SP4 on Windows 7 / Server 2008R2 mapping issues

Hi and a wonderful good day to the community!

Since I need some automation, I want to map NSS shares with a script (logon script to be precisely).

The Novell Client 2 SP4 (IR2) is installed on the machines in question, but I do not use it to login to the machine, the sole reason why I installed it is because I want the machiens to be able to access NSS shares and map them to a network drive.

Now, it's important to mention that I'm not talking about eDirectory login-scripts but simply Windows-GPO login scripts. The script looks like that:

net use m: \\S02\DAT /persistent:no /user:<novell-user> <novell-password>

My problem: mapping NSS shares via command line using the net use command only works if I have done it manually using the Novell Client (right click on the red N in the systray -> map network drive) once on the respective machine. To clarify: As soon as I have mapped the drive once manually using the Novell Client itself, mapping the drive from command line will always work (also after having disconnected the drive from the Novell Client again), no matter how often I login, logout, login with a differnet user, whatever.

But after a reboot, the "ability" of said machine to map an NSS share with the net use command is lost (error message when trying: wrong credentials), until I have mapped the share manually from the Novell Client once, after that, the ability to use "net use" is persistently there until the next.

No, I could really need some help from Novell experts:

- Why is this happening? When connecting to a network drive using the Novell Client, odes it write something to some sort of cache which gets lost upon a reboot?
- Is there any reliable way to map an NSS share to a networked drive from command line which will always work?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Peter
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Baedamichi,
> net use m: \\S02\DAT /persistent:no /user:<novell-user>
> <novell-password>

Test substituting S02 with the IP address to rule out name lookup
issues.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

Thanks Anders

Your suggestion was helpful, instead of the DNS name I put the server's IP address in my .bat file. That alone did not help, I also had to put the user's context directly into the .bat file (now I wouldn't know why, the only saved profile in the Novell Client is the "default" one which is set with the correct context, and contextless login is enabled in the Novell Client as well (and correctly configured with the correct server and tree), but doesn't matter now, as long as I got this to work I'm happy). 🙂

The working script would look like this, where of course "ou" means that user's organisational unit, and "o" the organisation of that user in our tree:

net use m: \\<server IP>\DAT /persistent:no /user:<novell-user.ou.o> <novell-password>

Thanks again for the help!

Have a nice day, cheers,

Peter
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <baedamichi.7agmlz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Baedamichi
wrote:
> I also had to put
> the user's context directly into the .bat file (now I wouldn't know why,
> the only saved profile in the Novell Client is the "default" one which
> is set with the correct context,

that state is only for that part of the client. When you do the mapping
through the background part such as via a net use command, it doesn't see
those profiles, working as designed from both Microsoft and Novell views.

Your challenge with this is that you are trying to do things in the
opposite manner as the system was designed so you will have some
challenges with this. Both Microsoft and Microfocus(nee Novell) assumes
an initial authentication to have established identity, otherwise you have
to establish it when you do finally decide to authenticate.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

konecnya;2428382 wrote:

Your challenge with this is that you are trying to do things in the
opposite manner as the system was designed so you will have some
challenges with this. Both Microsoft and Microfocus(nee Novell) assumes
an initial authentication to have established identity, otherwise you have
to establish it when you do finally decide to authenticate.

Not a problem as long as in the end there is a way to automate things. 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.