Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1495 views

OES Linux to OES Linux Migration

We could use some help. We want to move the iprint functionality (and
the user's files, but that is out of the scope of this forum) to a new
OES Linux server from the old OES Linux server (which will be taken out
of the tree and retired).

The SMCT does not seem to address Linux to Linux.

The OES iPrint Admin Guide for Linux has an entry:
---------------
Changing the eDirectory Server Assignment
If you need to change the eDirectoryTM server assignment for the Print
Manager or Driver Store, edit
the DSServer1= entry in the corresponding configuration file,
print_manager_name_ipsmd.conf or idsd.conf, located in /etc/opt/novell/
iprint/.
NOTE: Up to two additional servers can be specified using DSServer2 and
DSServer3. DSServer1
is considered the primary eDirectory server; DSServer2 and DSServer3 are
considered secondary
servers.
--------------

but does anyone know how to copy the driver store and the print driver
profiles (which I have lovingly crafted and want to keep) to the new server?

Also, I hear that I can point 2 print managers to the same printer
agents, but I am still working out the details. Any advice?

We have it assigned by DNS name (ie printer name: ISPrinter on iprint),
so changing what IP address that "iprint" DNS entry resolves to should
be easy, as we want to keep it transparent to the end users.

Thanks,
Anthony
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Linux to OES Linux Migration

Anthony,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp
- Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in both the "free product support" and "paid product support" drop down boxes.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the correct newsgroup. (http://support.novell.com/forums)

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Linux to OES Linux Migration

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:23:30 +0000, Anthony wrote:

> We could use some help. We want to move the iprint functionality (and the
> user's files, but that is out of the scope of this forum) to a new OES
> Linux server from the old OES Linux server (which will be taken out of the
> tree and retired).
>
> The SMCT does not seem to address Linux to Linux.


Absolutely not. It was never written with Linux in mind, but the guys
managed to fix it to get it to migrate to linux. The new tools in OES 2
will support having LInux as the source server.


> but does anyone know how to copy the driver store and the print driver
> profiles (which I have lovingly crafted and want to keep) to the new
> server?


I would guess you just copy the whole of /etc/opt/novell/iprint and
/var/opt/novell/iprint to the new server.

> Also, I hear that I can point 2 print managers to the same printer
> agents, but I am still working out the details. Any advice?


AFAIK, this is possible.

> We have it assigned by DNS name (ie printer name: ISPrinter on iprint),
> so changing what IP address that "iprint" DNS entry resolves to should
> be easy, as we want to keep it transparent to the end users.


You're right here. As long as the IP address doesn't appear in the
certificate you're fine.

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Linux to OES Linux Migration

Mark Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:23:30 +0000, Anthony wrote:
>
>> We could use some help. We want to move the iprint functionality (and the
>> user's files, but that is out of the scope of this forum) to a new OES
>> Linux server from the old OES Linux server (which will be taken out of the
>> tree and retired).
>>
>> The SMCT does not seem to address Linux to Linux.

>
> Absolutely not. It was never written with Linux in mind, but the guys
> managed to fix it to get it to migrate to linux. The new tools in OES 2
> will support having LInux as the source server.
>
>
>> but does anyone know how to copy the driver store and the print driver
>> profiles (which I have lovingly crafted and want to keep) to the new
>> server?

>
> I would guess you just copy the whole of /etc/opt/novell/iprint and
> /var/opt/novell/iprint to the new server.
>
>> Also, I hear that I can point 2 print managers to the same printer
>> agents, but I am still working out the details. Any advice?

>
> AFAIK, this is possible.
>
>> We have it assigned by DNS name (ie printer name: ISPrinter on iprint),
>> so changing what IP address that "iprint" DNS entry resolves to should
>> be easy, as we want to keep it transparent to the end users.

>
> You're right here. As long as the IP address doesn't appear in the
> certificate you're fine.
>

Thanks for the info.

Could you please elaborate on the certificate/IP Address part? We will
be recreating certificates as we need to change which server is the
certificate authority.

Thanks,
Anthony

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES Linux to OES Linux Migration

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 00:29:44 +0000, Anthony wrote:

> Mark Robinson wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:23:30 +0000, Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> We could use some help. We want to move the iprint functionality (and
>>> the user's files, but that is out of the scope of this forum) to a new
>>> OES Linux server from the old OES Linux server (which will be taken out
>>> of the tree and retired).
>>>
>>> The SMCT does not seem to address Linux to Linux.

>>
>> Absolutely not. It was never written with Linux in mind, but the guys
>> managed to fix it to get it to migrate to linux. The new tools in OES 2
>> will support having LInux as the source server.
>>
>>
>>> but does anyone know how to copy the driver store and the print driver
>>> profiles (which I have lovingly crafted and want to keep) to the new
>>> server?

>>
>> I would guess you just copy the whole of /etc/opt/novell/iprint and
>> /var/opt/novell/iprint to the new server.
>>
>>> Also, I hear that I can point 2 print managers to the same printer
>>> agents, but I am still working out the details. Any advice?

>>
>> AFAIK, this is possible.
>>
>>> We have it assigned by DNS name (ie printer name: ISPrinter on iprint),
>>> so changing what IP address that "iprint" DNS entry resolves to should
>>> be easy, as we want to keep it transparent to the end users.

>>
>> You're right here. As long as the IP address doesn't appear in the
>> certificate you're fine.
>>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Could you please elaborate on the certificate/IP Address part? We will be
> recreating certificates as we need to change which server is the
> certificate authority.


You shouldn't need to recreate certs for this. I believe that you can
move the CA just fine nowadays.
All I meant was check that the cert only has the DNS name in it, and
wasn't created against just the IP address of the server.

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.