Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

OES client corrupts windows 10 login

I installed the latest OES client on an hp notebook twice and after re-booting I could not login to windows. I get Username or password invalid, I rebooted in safe mode and used restore to get my login to work.  I did this two times.

I need the client installed so can anyone help with this issue?

Thank you!

0 Likes
28 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@dpaxton 

If you do not make further headway on this forum, please raise a ticket and let us know the case number.

Thanks

Tarik

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@dpaxton wrote:

I need the client installed so can anyone help with this issue?

You don't provide any details to assist with a diagnosis...

1. What version of Windows are you using? 
  2. What version of the OES client did you install?
  3. Did you try a computer only logon and/or a network login?
  4. Does the OES client work on a different computer?
  5. Do the Windows Event Logs contain any useful clues?
  6. What other information do you think might be helpful?
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thank you Mr. Boyle,

The subject clearly states Windows 10 and I did say "Windows" login so I assumed it would be evident I was not referring to network however since the login by default is both I see I should have made it clear that I was talking about local pc login only.and I should have stated it is win 10 pro

The windows version is latest update and so is the client.

I have 3 workstations running the same client, 2 win 10 pro and one win 7pro

I don't think I can review the logs because as I said I restored the notebook to a previous version so I could login. SO let me please reiterate the issue more clearly.

Windows 10 Pro   latest version all updates
OES 2 SP4 ir10 client
hp Notebook 64 bit

1. Installed OES client
2. Re-booted
3 Attempt to login to local pc only
4.  Presented Invalid credentials statement
5 RE-booted into safe mode
6 Restored notebook to previous version.
7. Tried again same results

0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Have you tried the latest Client for OES, SP5 IR2?  Here is the link:

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=qomWLPpJ26Q~

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Are you sure that you're entering the correct user name / password?

I had a similar case one year ago and it was due to a misunderstanding about the user to use when oes client was installed. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

SP4IR10 is for sure not the latest version of the client which can be found here

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=qomWLPpJ26Q~

Here's a little history writeup

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7016351

And while it's very unlikely related, depending on the hardware this one

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024100

might be worth a try.

If you like it: like it.
Commodore
Commodore

Thank you, I recently downloaded SP4IR10 so I thought it was the latest, now I wonder if I was not on Microfocus site when I downloaded it, Either way it did not cause me any trouble on my three workstations so it may be in fact a hardware issue,
I will try installing this latest version later today and report back.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@gmorera wrote:

Are you sure that you're entering the correct user name / password?

I had a similar case one year ago and it was due to a misunderstanding about the user to use when oes client was installed. 

I'll second this one.  The only time I have seen an invalid credentials error with the OES client is in fact when the user was entering the wrong credentials.  The OES client does not create local user accounts, so when doing a local login, you must use valid local credentials.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

I would never disregard someone's suggestion of this as a possibility however because of that I made certain I was using the proper credentials before I posted the message, SO, yes, I am definitely using the proper user name and password.

This is what I have accomplished thus far,

I installed the latest version of the client provided in links in this thread.

Rebooted as required

Attempted  local login only

Same result: Invalid username or password

At this point I decided to login to the Novell Network (NW6.5 SBS SP8)

Successfully logged into network as reported by login script but no access to windows

Attempted login to windows using a second account I previously set up with admin rights.\

Successful however I do not see an option to change the password of the main windows admin account.

Tried switching user to original login, Same result Invalid username or password.

Rebooted machine, same result so I used second user account and restored computer again so I could access my main profile,

I "Could" just use the 2nd user id but then I would have to do an awful lot of re-configuring so that is a last resort

Clearly the OES Client install corrupted the original user login credentials. Unless someone has a fix for this, I will try to use "Forensit"    or some such utility to copy the original profile to the second user I created.

I would much rather have a better solution. I think if I could change the original user password from the second account I would be able to login with it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am always very grateful for those who offer their time to help others, If I recall correctly Mr. Boyle has been around on several forums for a long time helping lots of people.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@dpaxton 

I take it you are unable to log an SR?

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Please forgive my ignorance, I am not sure what you are referring to.. SR?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.