UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES dhcp (part 2)

Ok, so started configuring another remote site dhcp server running oes
linux.

Info migrated over from the nw65sp8 server just fine, shows up in the
dhpc console.

Do I have to create a dhcp 'service' for each subnet I'm going to have
in dhcp?

I ask as now on my two linux dhcp servers, they both have both subnets
being served by each server.

How can I get these set so each server is only servicing the correct
subnet, and not every subnet?

--

Stevo
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Stevo,

No, you don't create a service for each subnet. You create the service at the top level and then put each subnet into it. You have to have a service and assign 1 dhcp server to each service. And yes, both services will have all of the subnets configured. The are a mirror image of each other. When configuring the failover split object you should have the number 128. This specifies the split between the primary and secondary server for the purpose of load balancing. Whenever a client makes a dhcp request, the dhcp server runs a hash on the client identification. If this hash comes out to less than the split value (128) the primary answers. If it comes out to equal or more than the split (128) the secondary answers.

Check these out:

OES11 DNS/DHCP admin guide, 8 Dec 2011

Also I downloaded the upgrading to certified linux engineer 10 guide, 2007. There is a real good chapter on configuring dchp failover. It goes into more detail than the OES guide.

-Hans

>>> On 4/19/2012 at 11:43 AM, in message <dhXjr.8877$V43.3139@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Stevo<steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote:

Ok, so started configuring another remote site dhcp server running oes
linux.

Info migrated over from the nw65sp8 server just fine, shows up in the
dhpc console.

Do I have to create a dhcp 'service' for each subnet I'm going to have
in dhcp?

I ask as now on my two linux dhcp servers, they both have both subnets
being served by each server.

How can I get these set so each server is only servicing the correct
subnet, and not every subnet?

--

Stevo
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This portion I'm doing is not a failover setup, this is just the dhcp
servers for my remote sites. These are in place to hand out addresses
locally, this way if their connection to our main site goes down, they
can still function & connect to their local servers.

--

Stevo
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.