Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
721 views

OES - what are the options for Netware PrintQueues ??

I have a new client with Netware 6.0 wanting to upgrade to OES

They still use DOS applications and Netware Print Queues

Will iPrint handle this - I've not bothered with iPrint
at other site just use print servers with IP - probably can make this work
but cludggy having to share the local printer

are there other options??

What options have I got ?


Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
W_Prindl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES - what are the options for Netware PrintQueues ??

Are those DOS applications run under DOS or under ntvdm on a
WinXP/WIN7-32bit box? If they are run directly in DOS you won't get a
solution for iprint - the nowadays only solution for real DOS is a
SAMBA/CUPS print server, which can be accessed fine from WfW3.11, which
runs atop of real DOS (even a MS Win2008 server cannot be accessed by
real DOS and WfW3.11 anymore). You can install cups/samba even on an
OES server, if you don't use iprint on that server - and it works fine.

If you are running them on WinXP/Win7-32bit you can use iprint. Instead
of capture you can use icapture to capture an iprint port to a LPTx:
port. Of course you can use SAMBA/CUPS (with net use) in that scenario,
too.

--
W. Prindl


Brian wrote:

>I have a new client with Netware 6.0 wanting to upgrade to OES
>
>They still use DOS applications and Netware Print Queues
>
>Will iPrint handle this - I've not bothered with iPrint
>at other site just use print servers with IP - probably can make this
>work but cludggy having to share the local printer
>
>are there other options??
>
>What options have I got ?


W. Prindl
0 Likes
Conz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES - what are the options for Netware PrintQueues ??

W_Prindl;2179629 wrote:

If you are running them on WinXP/Win7-32bit you can use iprint. Instead
of capture you can use icapture to capture an iprint port to a LPTx:
port. Of course you can use SAMBA/CUPS (with net use) in that scenario,
too.

--
W. Prindl


We had issues with capturing printer ports in Win7, I'm not sure if thats been solved or not so I'd suggest testing that.
Other then that iPrint has been a blessing with its driver / profile management for us, no more manually installing printers on workstation 🙂

-
Arjan
0 Likes
W_Prindl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES - what are the options for Netware PrintQueues ??

Icapture and capture from Novell only work on 32-bit OSs. So if you are
using Win7 64-bit you won't be able to use capture/icapture, but need
to use NET USE to a SAMBA/CUPS or a Windows server.
--
W. Prindl


Conz wrote:

>
>W_Prindl;2179629 Wrote:
>>
>> If you are running them on WinXP/Win7-32bit you ca (with net use) in
>>that scenario,
>> too.
>>
>> --
>> W. Prindl
>>

>
>We had issues with capturing printer ports in Win7, I'm not sure if
>thats been solved or not so I'd suggest testing that.
>Other then that iPrint has been a blessing with its driver / profile
>management for us, no more manually installing printers on workstation
>:-)
>
>-
>Arjan


W. Prindl
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.