kkbass1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1090 views

OES11 server introduction "stuck" at LUM stage

I have 1 netware65sp8 server (what will be migrated from to the OES11 server, at least in theory) & oes2/gw8 server (will go to oes11/gw2012 eventually) but while introducing this oes11 server the "OES Configuration" stage all the steps took awhile, like proxy user took nearly 3 hours. It did create the proxy user & move onto the next step, but it has been stuck at "running namconfig for lum" for over 12 hours now....something obviously isnt right. Edirectory seemed healthy before the install, nothing wacky in dstrace that I saw, etc. To top it off, now people can't get logged into the network internal error 0x800789F8, 0x0008908, 0x000089C8.

-- http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11 server introduction "stuck" at LUM stage

kkbass;2294328 wrote:
I have 1 netware65sp8 server (what will be migrated from to the OES11 server, at least in theory) & oes2/gw8 server (will go to oes11/gw2012 eventually) but while introducing this oes11 server the "OES Configuration" stage all the steps took awhile, like proxy user took nearly 3 hours. It did create the proxy user & move onto the next step, but it has been stuck at "running namconfig for lum" for over 12 hours now....something obviously isnt right. Edirectory seemed healthy before the install, nothing wacky in dstrace that I saw, etc. To top it off, now people can't get logged into the network internal error 0x800789F8, 0x0008908, 0x000089C8.


If this is the third server in your eDir tree, it's possible (this was a bug in OES2, but I thought it was fixed), where the replicas will get added to the server, but there's an internal timeout in the OES install scripts, so that if the replicas aren't all installed and up and running in time, the install screen hangs.

However, I can't say for sure that is your issue, or that the bug is still present.

I think if you have access to the server, you can do a terminal session/putty session, maybe and look at the logs to see what it's stuck on.
0 Likes
kkbass1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES11 server introduction "stuck" at LUM stage

kjhurni;2294330 wrote:
If this is the third server in your eDir tree, it's possible (this was a bug in OES2, but I thought it was fixed), where the replicas will get added to the server, but there's an internal timeout in the OES install scripts, so that if the replicas aren't all installed and up and running in time, the install screen hangs.

However, I can't say for sure that is your issue, or that the bug is still present.

I think if you have access to the server, you can do a terminal session/putty session, maybe and look at the logs to see what it's stuck on.


It is the 3rd server in the tree, I can get to the console. I checked & there is no /etc/namcd.conf file created yet. What logs & where would they be that you suggest looking through? Would this be causing the hangup issues with clients not being able to login?

Thanks

-- http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11 server introduction "stuck" at LUM stage

kkbass;2294334 wrote:
It is the 3rd server in the tree, I can get to the console. I checked & there is no /etc/namcd.conf file created yet. What logs & where would they be that you suggest looking through? Would this be causing the hangup issues with clients not being able to login?

Thanks


I'll have to scrounge around for which logs are where that will help. But your second part:
If LUM isn't up/running, then NSS and other services that rely upon it and NAMCD don't work and that could explain the connection errors (although why your client pc's are trying to connect to a server that's not up yet...)

I could assume that somehow the client machines are aware that there's eDir replicas on the server and are trying to authenticate against a "random replica", although I didn't think eDir relied upon LUM/namcd (but the converse does rely upon it).

So I'm wondering if your replicas are stuck on "adding" or something.

I don't recall if you can just reboot the box and have it resume where it left off (it's been a while since I ran into this bug/issue--like 3+ years ago).

So I guess for starters, check your replica status via iMonitor and see if the replicas are adding are "on" (technically you can use ConsoleOne to do this as well), and check the sync status.

--Kevin
0 Likes
kkbass1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES11 server introduction "stuck" at LUM stage

Clients couldn't connect to the *existing* netware or oes2 server during this time. As far as the server went, I gave up on it. Powered off the VM & deleted it, as well as removed any reference to it from edirectory. Even at that point people could still not login, I had to reboot the netware server (which didnt show anything funny going on in dstrace) before people could then login again. I am going to setup the oes11 server again, but this time point it to the oes2 server as the edir source instead of the netware server, maybe that will help.... As far as replicas - netware is master & "on", oes2 is read-write & "on" as well. I did not check this status while the failed oes11 install was running.

-- http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.