Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

OES11SP1 NSS volumes loosing rights

Good day,

I have a strange issue that occurs at random times when trying to copy to an NSS volume on my server, the server volume in question is named STORAGE2, when I rebooted the server it shows with the following information.

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root date volume name

However when I see the issue occur it shows the following.

d????????? ? ? ? ? (sorry cannot remember if it still shows the volume name) and when I try to copy to the volume it errors out "Not enough drive space" and it reports with just a "?" on my Windows 7 SP1 workstation.

Any thoughts, I'm also going to be checking for patches.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11SP1 NSS volumes loosing rights

dschaldenovell;2254537 wrote:
Good day,

I have a strange issue that occurs at random times when trying to copy to an NSS volume on my server, the server volume in question is named STORAGE2, when I rebooted the server it shows with the following information.

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root date volume name

However when I see the issue occur it shows the following.

d????????? ? ? ? ? (sorry cannot remember if it still shows the volume name) and when I try to copy to the volume it errors out "Not enough drive space" and it reports with just a "?" on my Windows 7 SP1 workstation.

Any thoughts, I'm also going to be checking for patches.

Are you sure it's rights?

If you try as an Admin, it should always work (S flows down I believe).

Or even adding yourself explicitly.

I've had this happen once, I thought it was rights, but it was not. Someone had set a VOLUME quota on the volume (we do not do this, so someone must've butterfingered something).

If it's rights, there's a file you can check/verify and possibly resync just in case.

At the root of the volume should be a hidden directory:
._NETWARE
inside of there is a bunch of files
you're looking for the two of them:
.trusteeXXXXXXXXX
files

the .xml is legible and lists the trustees.

I've only seen the files missing in the scenario where we migrated from NetWare to OES Linux (rolling cluster upgrade), and this was normal as you had to wait for the trustee databases to be rebuilt via the sync job.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Good day

This issue has resurfaced. Basically at random times during the day (again this is not something that happens at all times but just at random times) I will be accessing an NSS volume, named Storage2, however; without any warning the volume goes to the following state d????????? ? ? ? ? where on the other volume it shows drwxrwxrwx 1 root 0 May 12 2013 Storage1 my usual method of troubleshooting is to reset/restart the server. Sometimes this works and sometimes it takes a couple of restarts to get things working again. I have kept this server patched, but even then it happens again.

any thoughts on what I can look into?

DS
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Under what platform were these volumes/pools created or last rebuilt? This only ever happens on this one volume? Does it share a pool with any other volumes, if so are they affected?

Have you tried doing
ncpcon nss resync
to fix the problem, rather than rebooting? Or just dismounting/remounting the affected volume(s)?

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dschaldenovell;2302398 wrote:
Good day

This issue has resurfaced. Basically at random times during the day (again this is not something that happens at all times but just at random times) I will be accessing an NSS volume, named Storage2, however; without any warning the volume goes to the following state d????????? ? ? ? ? where on the other volume it shows drwxrwxrwx 1 root 0 May 12 2013 Storage1 my usual method of troubleshooting is to reset/restart the server. Sometimes this works and sometimes it takes a couple of restarts to get things working again. I have kept this server patched, but even then it happens again.

any thoughts on what I can look into?

DS

I'd strongly suggest opening an SR. You'll probably have to turn debug logging on some various things.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Good evening,

Finally had the issue resurface, and did some further troubleshooting.

Situation - I was trying to use Novell Copy from a Windows 7 machine, I was able to browse to the Volume that I wished to copy the data too, however just as I started the copy process the Volume would loose it rights, and Windows would report that the location was invalid.

Troubleshooting - Went into "nssmu" and checked the status of the Pool and Volume, Pool was not active, and Volume was unmounted. I reactivated the Pool, and then mounted the volume. I was able to browse no problems, tried again to copy, and had the same failures.

Read through TID 7006457 , https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7006457, did a verify on the volume, after placing it into maintenance mode (nsscon -> nss /poolmaintenance) verify did report errors, and then followed the procedure to perform a rebuild.

Resolution - Once the rebuild process finished and brought the pool back up (nsscon -> nss /poolactivate ) I have now been able to copy/retrieve data from that volume and I have not seen it going off line. I will monitor.

Thank you,

-DS
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.