Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
877 views

OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

Planning to install our first OES11 SP2 server into an existing tree - the
idea is to run this new OES11 server virtualized on VMware ESXi 5.5

The existing tree has two physical NW6.5SP8 servers running eDirectory
Version 8.7.3.10b (NDS Version 10554.64).

One of the existing Netware servers is used for DHCP/DNS, File Sharing from
three NSS volumes and Groupwise 7.0.4 whilst the second server is used for
FTP services and eDirectory redundancy.

Rather than jump in at the deep end and performing a Transfer ID Migration
of our main Netware Server which would force us to upgrade to Groupwise
2012/14 at the same time I was hoping to start off slowly and initially
start by transferring just one of the file sharing NSS volumes from the main
Netware server to the freshly installed OES11 SP2 server (just so we can be
confident that everything works the way it should).

If all goes well we would then in turn over a couple of weeks or so transfer
the remaining NSS volumes, DNS/DHCP services to the new virtualized OES11
SP2 server.

Once that's done we can then install a second virtualized OES11 SP2 server
which would be used for the Groupwise 7.0.4 system transfer and final
upgrade to Groupwise 2012/2014.

Finally we would then delegate one of the new OES11 SP2 servers as master
replica before removing eDirectory from the Netware servers and ultimately
turning them off.

Just wondering if this plan is workable or is my thinking too simplistic
e.g. am I going to end up breaking eDirectory and screwing things up like
trustee rights on the NSS volumes etc...

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:28:42 GMT, "Neil Walkingshaw"
<naw@medesign.co.uk> wrote:

>Planning to install our first OES11 SP2 server into an existing tree - the
>idea is to run this new OES11 server virtualized on VMware ESXi 5.5
>
>The existing tree has two physical NW6.5SP8 servers running eDirectory
>Version 8.7.3.10b (NDS Version 10554.64).
>
>One of the existing Netware servers is used for DHCP/DNS, File Sharing from
>three NSS volumes and Groupwise 7.0.4 whilst the second server is used for
>FTP services and eDirectory redundancy.
>
>Rather than jump in at the deep end and performing a Transfer ID Migration
>of our main Netware Server which would force us to upgrade to Groupwise
>2012/14 at the same time I was hoping to start off slowly and initially
>start by transferring just one of the file sharing NSS volumes from the main
>Netware server to the freshly installed OES11 SP2 server (just so we can be
>confident that everything works the way it should).
>
>If all goes well we would then in turn over a couple of weeks or so transfer
>the remaining NSS volumes, DNS/DHCP services to the new virtualized OES11
>SP2 server.
>
>Once that's done we can then install a second virtualized OES11 SP2 server
>which would be used for the Groupwise 7.0.4 system transfer and final
>upgrade to Groupwise 2012/2014.
>
>Finally we would then delegate one of the new OES11 SP2 servers as master
>replica before removing eDirectory from the Netware servers and ultimately
>turning them off.
>
>Just wondering if this plan is workable or is my thinking too simplistic
>e.g. am I going to end up breaking eDirectory and screwing things up like
>trustee rights on the NSS volumes etc...
>
>Thanks in advance.


Neil,

In my opinion it is a very good plan...it is exactly what I did. 🙂
I have a slightly larger network than you do (6 servers), but I was
wanting to move slowly since I was very comfortable with Netware but
new to Linux. My Netware servers were running 6.5 SP8 with eDir
8.7.3.10b. I added new OES 11 servers to my tree and moved services
over (using the migration wizard) as needed until everything was
hosted on OES 11. I took a few weeks to do it. You just have to
remember to update login scripts, DNS, etc as you go so everyone finds
the new locations for things.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
dbgallo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

I'd advice going to edir 885 on the netware boxes before starting, might make things flow better, also you don't need OES for GW to run. The other things is your exit strategy, Maybe you should just unload the services off the old boxes and when you remove edir, shut the boxes off, no need for them to be running.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:46:01 GMT, dbgallo
<dbgallo@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>also you don't need OES for GW to run.


True, but he only has two servers, so running GW on OES gives him some
redundancy for eDirectory.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:00:59 GMT, KeN Etter
<ketter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:28:42 GMT, "Neil Walkingshaw"
><naw@medesign.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Planning to install our first OES11 SP2 server into an existing tree - the
>>idea is to run this new OES11 server virtualized on VMware ESXi 5.5
>>
>>The existing tree has two physical NW6.5SP8 servers running eDirectory
>>Version 8.7.3.10b (NDS Version 10554.64).
>>
>>One of the existing Netware servers is used for DHCP/DNS, File Sharing from
>>three NSS volumes and Groupwise 7.0.4 whilst the second server is used for
>>FTP services and eDirectory redundancy.
>>
>>Rather than jump in at the deep end and performing a Transfer ID Migration
>>of our main Netware Server which would force us to upgrade to Groupwise
>>2012/14 at the same time I was hoping to start off slowly and initially
>>start by transferring just one of the file sharing NSS volumes from the main
>>Netware server to the freshly installed OES11 SP2 server (just so we can be
>>confident that everything works the way it should).
>>
>>If all goes well we would then in turn over a couple of weeks or so transfer
>>the remaining NSS volumes, DNS/DHCP services to the new virtualized OES11
>>SP2 server.
>>
>>Once that's done we can then install a second virtualized OES11 SP2 server
>>which would be used for the Groupwise 7.0.4 system transfer and final
>>upgrade to Groupwise 2012/2014.
>>
>>Finally we would then delegate one of the new OES11 SP2 servers as master
>>replica before removing eDirectory from the Netware servers and ultimately
>>turning them off.
>>
>>Just wondering if this plan is workable or is my thinking too simplistic
>>e.g. am I going to end up breaking eDirectory and screwing things up like
>>trustee rights on the NSS volumes etc...
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

>
>Neil,
>
>In my opinion it is a very good plan...it is exactly what I did. 🙂
>I have a slightly larger network than you do (6 servers), but I was
>wanting to move slowly since I was very comfortable with Netware but
>new to Linux. My Netware servers were running 6.5 SP8 with eDir
>8.7.3.10b. I added new OES 11 servers to my tree and moved services
>over (using the migration wizard) as needed until everything was
>hosted on OES 11. I took a few weeks to do it. You just have to
>remember to update login scripts, DNS, etc as you go so everyone finds
>the new locations for things.
>
>Ken


Neil,

One other thought...even though this isn't the GroupWise forums... You
may want to consider migating your GroupWise files over and installing
a newer version in one step. If you haven't before, check out
Danita's upgrade guides at caledonia.net. I used them to move from
NW6.5/GW8 to OES11/GW2012 in a single step and it went quite smooth.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
medesignltd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

Ken,

Many thanks for the replies. Good to know that the basic strategy is workable. I'm very much in the same boat as you were in terms of making the move to OES11 (comfortable with Netware but will need to get up to speed with Linux).

Already got Danita's guide for the upgrade to Groupwise 2012 - been using her guides since GW5.x and well worth the money.

Just wondering about configuring disk partitions during the initial OES11 SP2 installation (/boot, /(root) and swap etc...).

Did you use the default partitioning scheme recommended by YaST or would you recommend modifying the default settings?

Neil
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:46:02 GMT, medesignltd
<medesignltd@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>Ken,
>
>Many thanks for the replies. Good to know that the basic strategy is
>workable. I'm very much in the same boat as you were in terms of making
>the move to OES11 (comfortable with Netware but will need to get up to
>speed with Linux).
>
>Already got Danita's guide for the upgrade to Groupwise 2012 - been
>using her guides since GW5.x and well worth the money.
>
>Just wondering about configuring disk partitions during the initial
>OES11 SP2 installation (/boot, /(root) and swap etc...).
>
>Did you use the default partitioning scheme recommended by YaST or would
>you recommend modifying the default settings?


Neil,

I don't remember what the default settings are. And I don't consider
myself a Linux expert by any means yet - so if you are unsure about
disk settings, don't just rely on my opinion. But I created the
following:

1 GB ext2 /boot
4 GB swap swap
65 GB ext3 /
all other disk space was used for NSS data volumes.

I started my OES 11 migration in June 2012 and so far the servers have
been running fine with this setup.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES11SP2 Server Install - Retire Netware Servers

Ken,

Many thanks.

The advice is appreciated.

Neil

>>> On 21/4/14 at 14:33, in message

<i57al9hua4o00qd8cjg8jn232ftavimglo@4ax.com>, KeN
Etter<ketter@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:46:02 GMT, medesignltd
> <medesignltd@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>Ken,
>>
>>Many thanks for the replies. Good to know that the basic strategy is
>>workable. I'm very much in the same boat as you were in terms of making
>>the move to OES11 (comfortable with Netware but will need to get up to
>>speed with Linux).
>>
>>Already got Danita's guide for the upgrade to Groupwise 2012 - been
>>using her guides since GW5.x and well worth the money.
>>
>>Just wondering about configuring disk partitions during the initial
>>OES11 SP2 installation (/boot, /(root) and swap etc...).
>>
>>Did you use the default partitioning scheme recommended by YaST or would
>>you recommend modifying the default settings?

>
> Neil,
>
> I don't remember what the default settings are. And I don't consider
> myself a Linux expert by any means yet - so if you are unsure about
> disk settings, don't just rely on my opinion. But I created the
> following:
>
> 1 GB ext2 /boot
> 4 GB swap swap
> 65 GB ext3 /
> all other disk space was used for NSS data volumes.
>
> I started my OES 11 migration in June 2012 and so far the servers have
> been running fine with this setup.
>
> Ken

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.