Highlighted
booktrunk Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

OES18 Cifs Mac problems error message in logs.

Jump to solution

Hi. 

Our macs running various versions of os X and are all hitting CIFS issues on our latest OES18 servers.  OES2 servers seem fine but on OES18 no end of problems being able to open but not save files, or not being able to delete them... Changing the log level to info i've now at least got an error message.... Struggling to find out what it means anyone come across similar.

2019-07-18T15:21:41.412660+01:00 LGHOES-DATA2 cifsd[10529]: INFO: VERBS: SMB2_Create: FID transition failed for file: /media/nss/VOL3/RANDOM FILE NAME.jpg, FID : 28991, FID-error: 128, error: <0xC0000043>

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES18 Cifs Mac problems error message in logs.

Jump to solution

Is the patched up to date, including sp1?  there were lots of CIFS updates in there.

Are the MACs all the same versions? or if not is there a difference among them?

Do you have any Windows boxes getting at them with CIFS and if so how are they doing?

how are the RAM use basics on this box doing? i.e. is it running tight on memory
https://konecnyconsulting.ca/itnotes/nixadmin.html

I don't have any MACs to play with, and haven't otherwise seen this, so just thinking from basics, so if this doesn't help and no one else pipes in, it might be SR time.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Is the patched up to date, including sp1?  there were lots of CIFS updates in there.

Are the MACs all the same versions? or if not is there a difference among them?

Do you have any Windows boxes getting at them with CIFS and if so how are they doing?

how are the RAM use basics on this box doing? i.e. is it running tight on memory
https://konecnyconsulting.ca/itnotes/nixadmin.html

I don't have any MACs to play with, and haven't otherwise seen this, so just thinking from basics, so if this doesn't help and no one else pipes in, it might be SR time.

___
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi. with regards to the VM our support company for MF say it's overkill as it has 32gb of memory so it's never used all of it. and it's got 8 cores and shows 95% idle nearly all the time.

It seems as if opening large files intermittently lock them, and once a file is in this state it can be days before it clears itself. You open it, and it won't let you save over it.

When you run the novcifs -Fcp it shows the file is closed when it's not open which is correct, but when you open it say in photoshop it then locks it so you cannot write to it by doing save.

restarting the novcifs more often seems to minimise it a bit but it still just randomly happens. Which is such a pain, as we have 50 macs and when it goes wrong they literally have to leave copies of files around saying this is the usable version etc...
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution
With regards to clients the odd one on 10.11 due to some software on them, but the vast majority are on 10.14.x whatever the latest is. The latest mac to have it was a brand new iMac Pro.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

How old is the volume(s) in question? with how many files on them?

I recall an issue with the ZIDs that MACs had issues dealing with them if they got over a 32bit number (ZIDs are 64 bit).  Naturally I can't find that discussion at the moment (time for me to tuck in), but we can check if it is at all an issue.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/stor_nss_lx/data/bxkj860.html#bb22qoi

___
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks it seems hit and miss quite often restarting cifs on the volume seems to fix it... Of course it always works when i get hold of support it's so intermittent it's frustrating.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.