Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 AutoyaST install with Network Config?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Using autoyast to perform installs but my network card is not getting configured 😞 Whats the best way to get this auto configured during the autoyast install? init script? "ask" list?
Please help....sample xml files welcomed!

Thanks!
Lee
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

Re: OES2 AutoyaST install with Network Config?

Lee,

we do it in the autoyast file whereas we have a script that creates the for us based on user input. Here is the sample section of such a file:

<networking>
<interfaces config:type="list">
<interface>
<bootproto>static</bootproto>
<device>eth0</device>
<ipaddr>10.10.10.10</ipaddr>
<netmask>255.255.248.0</netmask>
<startmode>auto</startmode>
<usercontrol>no</usercontrol>
</interface>
</interfaces>
<managed config:type="boolean">false</managed>
<modules config:type="list">
<module_entry>
<device>static-0</device>
<module>tg3</module>
<options></options>
</module_entry>
</modules>

Rainer
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You'll have to pardon my dumb question, but I don't see in that script where it configures it based upon user input?

If you put the entries into the .xml file (like it looks like above), then it'll configure the network card, but I don't see any "ask" section or anything like that.

Unless you've customized an XML file for every single machine and the user selects the right config file to start with?

Perhaps the OP is asking:

a) How do I prompt the user for the network settings and write to the config?
or
b) How do I get the network settings from the install line (ie: install=nfs://blah autoyast=blah hostip=something netmask=something gateway=something)?

I believe for item #b, the answer is a big fat "no" unless you're on OpenSuse 11.2 (at least the way I read Uwe's docs and I tried that code for SLES 10 SP2 and it most definitely does not work).
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

kjhurni,

another NO for question b,
and regarding question a take a look at this thread and see if that helps:

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-install-boot/358904-autoyast-ask-list-directive.html#post1730734

Depending on your ip segments you would need to ask the administrator for ip, netmask and the gateway. We prepare the autoyast files for each server before we install it. We have some templates where we have one for a xen host, one for a normal xen guest, one for physical server and so on. In that templates you have to adopt the server name and the ip information and then it's ready. The installation is running via a pxe server where we boot entries for all differen sles versions. We have one line eg. for autoyast deployments and one for a manuall installation. In case of the autoyast installation we have set the option autoyast=nfs://<server>/install/autoyast/file.xml, whereas file.xml does not exist, but then the installation process stops and shows a message box where you can enter the correct autoyast file and continue the installation. This is what we are doing now for maybe 3 years and thats fine for us. We have installed maybe 400 systems with that and in case we need to reinstall a system, we have the original autoyast file that was used to install it the first time.

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.