Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 Linux server name collision - how to fix?

An OES2 Linux server experienced a name collision. I believe I know why this occurred; it was a one-time event from a different server with a replica of the partition containing the OES2 Linux server.

Let's say its real name is SRVR1. There is an object named SRVR1 as well as an object named 0_2, which has a secondary (non-naming) CN of SRVR1. When I type "rcndsd status" at this server's console, it shows its server name is CN=0_2.O=Location.T=Tree. When I run a report sync status, it shows up in the list as 0_2.

My question is - do I delete the 0_2 object or the SRVR1 object? If I do the former, do I stop ndsd on the server first, and what happens when I restart it? Will it connect to the correctly named object? If I do the latter, do I need to recreate all the objects associated with correctly named server object?

Or can I rename the SRVR1 object to SRVR1_old, then rename the 0_2 object to SRVR1? And if I do that, what sort of cleanup will be needed?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did a bit more research. n4u.nds.server-name is set to 0_2. I can't set that to the correct value (SRVR1) because I get a -606 error (object with that name exists - which it does). I tried changing the value in the nds.conf file and restarting ndsd, but it changed it back. I tried editing nds.conf with ndsd still running, then I stopped ndsd and edited the file. Both times it changed back. This makes me think I should not delete the 0_2 object but rather the SRVR1 object. Once that is deleted, I can use "ndsconfig set n4u.nds.server-name=SRVR1" while ndsd is running to rename the object. I'll probably have to delete and recreate a host of other objects including volumes, certificates, etc. I'll probably also need to re-add it to the cluster.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is actually an eDirectory issue, not an OES issue.
https://forums.netiq.com/forumdisplay.php?50-eDir-Linux

But I'd recommend getting a dialin from Novell/NetIQ, far too easy to get something wrong and lose everything.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.