Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 SP2 Linux on ESXi - Copying of Data issue

Hello, We virtualized one of our highschools this summer, with ESXi 4 on a PowerEdge 1900, with 8GB Ram Raid 5 Sata HDD's, with 700GB Space. The Drives right in the server, are used aa the datastore. This same server, was Just the live OS before (Netware 6.5), we upgraded the server to the ESXi 4Hypervisor, and then, installed a guest OS of Suse 10, running Novell OES 2 services (All of our trusted Netware services, now on Linux, as their product called OES2). Anyways, before the server was virtualized, I could easy copy GB's of data, up to it, with no isses. Now that it is virtualized, when I copy data, it started, and it chugging along at a nice speed, but after about 5 minutes, it hangs up and says, "\\Share\Users" is not accessible, You might not have permission to use this network source" I know this is not the case, as Iset yp the rights myself, souble checled them, and climed onto the share to copy the data in the first place. I can copy, create, move, write, etc egverything I need to, this error message only happens after about 5 minutes of copying data. It happily copies until them. If I copy local, or to any other non-virtulized server it is fine, it is only when I copy to the guest OS on this ESXi host. As well, I have eliminated any hardware issues, as I copied to the RAW Datastore on the ESXi host, with no isses I copyied over 8GB of data to the ESXi datastore without an issue. It seems like maybe there is a tweek of somekind I need to do to the Guest, so that this does not happen...any ideas? Please see JPEG attached to see the whole error.

Any suggestions or help IS GREATLY Appreciated the Highschool is starting to get antsy. I have a picture of the error, can;t see where to attach it in the forum though...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP2 Linux on ESXi - Copying of Data issue

I am assuming you have installed the vmware tools into the VM?

Also, is this 64-bit or 32-bit SLES/OES2?

Lastly, what kernel are you using?
kernel-vmi
or
kernel

The last digits I'm interested in are like:
.60 or .61

I have seen the exact same issue you describe, although it was with 64-bit OES2/SLES10 SP3 running on Citrix XENServer. Turned out it was the kernel. I back-revved to the .21 kernel version I believe and the problem went away.
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Kjhurni, Yes, I am using the 64-bit version of OES2 SP2, I believe with the kernel, here is the version when I do a uname -r: 2.6.16.60-0.66.1-smp

Question, you say you revved back to .21...number one was that hard, and number 2, does it affect all updates.

Thanks in advance, your input is valued 😉 I'm glad someone else is having my issue...I was afraid I would hear nothing, ha ha ha.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Let me check the version I have and post back before you do "bad things"

haha

I just kinda stumbled upon the kernel as the problem, but I've seen posts from others getting the same thing in vmware. (I haven't duped it in vmware yet)

I DO have an SR open with Novell so they are aware of it.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Okay the kernel versions I know of that are affected are:

2.6.16.60-0.67.1
and
2.6.16.60-0.66.1

In my case, the previous kernel was:

2.6.16.60-0.62.1

so that's what I had to back-rev to.
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, those affected kernels are the one I have, dammit...so how do i REV back, so my users don't kill me....

kjhurni;2023467 wrote:
Okay the kernel versions I know of that are affected are:

2.6.16.60-0.67.1
and
2.6.16.60-0.66.1

In my case, the previous kernel was:

2.6.16.60-0.62.1

so that's what I had to back-rev to.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I'm not sure of the OFFICIAL method, but this is what I did:

I went into Yast -> Software
and then in the search thingy, I searched for:

kernel

It'll come up with stuff on the right-hand side. Find the kernel-whatever you're using (in my case it was kernel-xen, but I think you're using kernel-smp)

I think I checked the box next to it so that it changed to that green lightning bolt for "update" or something and then went into the details section and click the plus so that it'll show you the versions it has.

And then I picked the "older" version.

You'll get some Yast dependencies and it MAY have to back-rev other bits of code (it all depends upon what exactly you have on the server and what combo of patches)

If you're using vmware (which you are) I'd strongly suggest snapshotting the sucker BEFORE you do any of this in case really bad things happen. Also, probably do this after hours as it'll require a reboot for the "new" kernel to kick in.

Obviously after you do this, if you're using rug/zmd it'll show you're behind on patches again, so you'll have to be careful to NOT apply the kernel updates again (but it also means you may not be able to apply certain OES2 patches that rely upon that updated kernel).

I hope this helps.

I'm going to prod Novell again today and see where they stand on the bug.
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

S**t. You've comfirmed the worst of my fears with the updates...I was pretty sure the newest updates were based on the kernel...Damn. We really needed the newest patches for iprint to work properly, and it sounds like this really messes up the update stream, I really don't think its an option for me...I hope they update the kernel to fix this.

Would you mind letting me know where novell stands on this, once you find out, they really profess that Visualization is an option, right in the documentation...yet here we are with a copy timeout problem. I hope they're responsive.

kjhurni;2023646 wrote:
I'm not sure of the OFFICIAL method, but this is what I did:

I went into Yast -> Software
and then in the search thingy, I searched for:

kernel

It'll come up with stuff on the right-hand side. Find the kernel-whatever you're using (in my case it was kernel-xen, but I think you're using kernel-smp)

I think I checked the box next to it so that it changed to that green lightning bolt for "update" or something and then went into the details section and click the plus so that it'll show you the versions it has.

And then I picked the "older" version.

You'll get some Yast dependencies and it MAY have to back-rev other bits of code (it all depends upon what exactly you have on the server and what combo of patches)

If you're using vmware (which you are) I'd strongly suggest snapshotting the sucker BEFORE you do any of this in case really bad things happen. Also, probably do this after hours as it'll require a reboot for the "new" kernel to kick in.

Obviously after you do this, if you're using rug/zmd it'll show you're behind on patches again, so you'll have to be careful to NOT apply the kernel updates again (but it also means you may not be able to apply certain OES2 patches that rely upon that updated kernel).

I hope this helps.

I'm going to prod Novell again today and see where they stand on the bug.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, the bug has had zero traction since Novell closed the SR and put a bugzilla in. But I've got someone else who's got an SR as well (possibly a diff. bugzilla) so I'm contacting them to see if there's been any word.

Sigh.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

While I've not heard back yet, I noticed there's a .68.1 kernel out now

I've applied that and so far on my testing of ONE VM, it is no longer freezing on me.
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HI, did you ever find out if this update fully resolved things?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.