Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.
1422 views

OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Hi!
SLES 10 SP3 OES2 SP3. Everything seems to be ok, but volume SYS is not listed in Storage section in iManager. Volume is there and mounted. "Discovered" when trying to set a directory restrictions on volume.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

SYS isn't a "real" volume that's manageable via iManager. On OES2, "sys" is the native Linux file system (EXT2, EXT3, or reiserfs--however you formatted the "/" partition) and OES2 is taking the:

/usr/novell/sys

and presenting it via NCP as a "share"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Hi and thanks!
Make sense. My mistake, sorry.
What options do I have? Can/should I still go for NSS (OES2 setup is done)? Or is some other (eDir-based) option to set dir quotas?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

You want to set quotas on the "sys" NCP share?

(Just to make sure I understand)?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Hi and thanks again!
Well, probably yes. I mean, this is what I have right now, no NSS, just this "faked" sys. Need to be set some restrictions. Probably can't use any eDir user based restrictions, right?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

On 29/06/2011 07:36, NovAlf wrote:

> Well, probably yes. I mean, this is what I have right now, no NSS, just
> this "faked" sys. Need to be set some restrictions. Probably can't use
> any eDir user based restrictions, right?


Are you not able to create your own data volume (leaving the fake SYS
one alone)?
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Hi and thanks!
Well, I have setup done and, yes, have free space, a lot of it, but no free partitions, probably needed for NSS! Server wasn't meant using that way, but life changes things.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Okay, so it sounds like when the OES2 server was installed, that ALL the disk space was consumed for the "native" Linux stuff. So you probably have a REALLY large / (root) partition and thus, only one volume.

Ewwww.

Just to double check -
You have no more "devices"/Luns/logical disks (HP speak)?

If so, AND you have used all the space for the native linux file system, then you're severely limited at that point.

I think the ONLY way to do quotas would be to use the native linux tools and then LUM-enable your users.

I don't believe you can use quotas (the "novell/NCP" way) on anything other than NSS.

Simon--does that sound right?

Ideally, if you could "re-do" the server or shrink the partition and make new drives/devices for NSS, that would be the way to go, but otherwise, I'm not sure of a nice/elegant way to do this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

Hi and thanks again!
Well, in time being this server was meant just for a iFolder, iPrint etc. No user folders, I mean, home dir's etc stuff. And setup to keep as simple as possible. By hardware this is not a complicated machine (just one disk), but, yes, You're correct, what I can do, can add another physical disk! And format this for NSS.
Anyway, good to know is there a some good solution for setting directory quotas on SLES.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

That sounds like a plan if you can add another disk and configure it as NSS

Good news!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

On 29/06/2011 16:06, kjhurni wrote:

> Okay, so it sounds like when the OES2 server was installed, that ALL the
> disk space was consumed for the "native" Linux stuff. So you probably
> have a REALLY large / (root) partition and thus, only one volume.
>
> Ewwww.
>
> Just to double check -
> You have no more "devices"/Luns/logical disks (HP speak)?
>
> If so, AND you have used all the space for the native linux file
> system, then you're severely limited at that point.
>
> I think the ONLY way to do quotas would be to use the native linux
> tools and then LUM-enable your users.
>
> I don't believe you can use quotas (the "novell/NCP" way) on anything
> other than NSS.
>
> Simon--does that sound right?


Unfortunately that sounds about right although I'm now wondering whether
you could create an NCP volume from a Linux path and use quotas against
that. I guess another "fake" volume as per SYS but certainly not an
ideal (or possibly supported - in the strictest sense) solution.

> Ideally, if you could "re-do" the server or shrink the partition and
> make new drives/devices for NSS, that would be the way to go, but
> otherwise, I'm not sure of a nice/elegant way to do this.


Problem with shrinking the partition is that it doesn't really help
unless you set the server up with EVMS in the first place.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2 SP3 SYS not listed in iManager

On 29/06/2011 16:36, NovAlf wrote:

> Well, in time being this server was meant just for a iFolder, iPrint
> etc. No user folders, I mean, home dir's etc stuff. And setup to keep as
> simple as possible. By hardware this is not a complicated machine (just
> one disk), but, yes, You're correct, what I can do, can add another
> physical disk! And format this for NSS.


Yes you can add another disk and use that solely for NSS. Easiest and
simplest way considering your current configuration.

I have to say that the above description of what you're planning on
using server for goes against then requiring quotas, etc. Certainly
iFolder does not use the NSS volume for data storage (it's a separate
data store to the user's home directory) so NSS quotas don't apply.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.