Bpa-eng Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 and NSS install / manage problems

G'day,
I have a new server (DELL PowerEdge 2900) on which I am trying to install OES2 with NSS.
Initially I got these up and running, set up NSS through iManager, added some volumes and users; but then restarted the server. On restart, I got a partition error on the system drive so it would not boot. I started the RAID controller config (BIOS) to have a look. It stated that the system drive now had a "Foreign Config" in the RAID controller - very odd.
I re-initialised the system drive (low level format) leaving the drive with NSS as it didn't seem to have a problem; and it would be a good test for remounting NSS if the system ever crashed.

I then went through the whole SLES10 and OES2 install again, but selected Web Server to be installed as well. When I tried to connect to the IP address of the server, I got a holder webpage saying "It Works". Eventually I found where the login for iManager was and tried to login with admin, password and Tree name.

This was met with an error "(Error -626) The object could not be found. It is possible that the object exists, but the server could not communicate with the server holding a copy of the object."

Third Time - reinstalled (reformatted the system drive partitions only) with NSS and dependencies and only added iManager.
Deleted the sdb1 partition containing NSS but did not re-initialise the physical drive.

iManager gave the same error.
Attempting to run nssmu from the console gave an error that the Admin volume could not be found.

I then went into the RAID controller BIOS setup and re-initialised the data drive just in case there was anything on it before that was interfering.
Did the OES Configuration thing and just selected reconfigure for each item.
Tried iManager - no go - could not even get the login page to come up.
Ran nssmu from the terminal and it ran no worries. Set up NSS pools and volumes on the storage drive(s). Still couldn't get the webserver to serve the iManager pages (I did check the firewall for open ports).. rebooted etc. Did the yast OES install and configure thing again... reconfigured all... no difference to iManager but then couldn't access the NSS via nssmu either.

Now doing a low level format of both System and Data drives and reinstalling.

From my experiences here I can only conclude that there may be some information stored outside the partitions that conflicts with a new install of the system. I am concerned that even with the data backed up, we may not be able to recover it in the event of a failure.

As far as setup goes - this would be a single server with about 20 users (max), so I have left SLP disabled.

I do not expect to have to do a lot of tweaking from the command prompt to get this server to run; particularly as it is touted as being a competitor to windows.

Can anyone offer any advice (other than ditch the lot and install Windows)?
Hopefully it will work after this install.

Cheers
Aaron
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Bpa-eng Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES2 and NSS install / manage problems

Bpa-eng;1533074 wrote:

Hopefully it will work after this install.

Cheers
Aaron

Woo hoo
iManage is now working. Was able to set up the pools and volumes. Have yet to check again to see if anything in the BIOS RAID config has been affected... will check in the morning...
0 Likes
sp02za Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi -

I am trying to set up a Dell PE 2900 server with a RAID1 and RAID5 array and I am getting the same issue with running nssmu and it saying that the admin volume cannot be found or you do not have rights to it. SLES10 SP1 with OES2 is installed on the RAID 1 array and the plan was to use NSS on the RAID 5 array. I have tried reconfiguring NSS via the OES install and configuration via Yast and nothing makes it work. I will have to see if it works through iManager though.

When I did a test install of SLES 10 SP1 and OES2 on a Dell workstation with two separate SATA drives (1 was for Linux/OES and the other for NSS volumes) all worked fine with nssmu. On the test machine connected to it as an admin in edirectory (windows workstation over the network/LAN) you see a sys volume, _admin volume, an admin volume (no underscore), and the other NSS volumes that I created. On the Dell PE 2900 install all I see from the same workstation is sys - that's it. No NSS volumes are there of course because I cannot create them. This leads me to say that the volume is not being created somehow but if that is the case what is causing this to happen??

If anyone has ideas or things to look at it would be appreciated. Otherwise I am going to have to install OES on Netware for this server and call it a day... I'd really like to try out the Linux option but this is becming a real headache.
0 Likes
sp02za Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One other thing with this PE 2900 server is that I am trying to install this new server in an existing edirectory tree where all of the servers were netware only - this is the first Linux server going into the tree. Edirectory seems to be ok, there is a server object that does get created, etc and the netware servers do see the Linux box in their databases. On the Dell workstation the install was in a new tree so maybe that has some effect? Maybe or maybe not??
0 Likes
sp02za Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just an update - I got NSS working in iManager and NSSMU and the _admin volume was created along with sys. Looking at other posts it turns out that Linux user management (LUM) was not set up for the admin user. When you typed id admin at the Linux console no user was found which was a tipoff

I got the basis of what was going on from the following topic on this site titled "not have the correct credentials to authenticate to CIMOM"

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-install/332317-not-have-correct-credentials-authenticate-cimom.html

Once I had the LUM objects created in the tree according to the tips in the listed post/thread and set the LDAP server to the server's own IP (Linux server), then do a reconfigure of LUM, NSS, and imanager on the OES2 Install and configuration in YAST then all started working fine.

This was a lot of learning curve for me here but I do understand for the most part why things were not working before.

I do have to say though that this install should be easier than this. You put a server into an existing tree this should all be handled automatically. But after all was done manually things did work.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.