clod Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 cluster dns server create error

trying to configure DNS to run on a OES2SP1 cluster volume.
getting the same error message returned by java client and imanager -

Error: Create request for DNS server failed

Preferred node list for selected NCP Server contains node(s) with older version.

I get that regardless of whether there's one or three nodes listed for that
resource.
I can create a dns server on any of the cluster nodes without incident.

everything is up to date and consistent across all three nodes. (sles and oes2sp1 and drivers etc, this is a newly installed, online updated, cluster) time and edir both in sync, nothing of note in logs.

searching for this error message returns nothing useful (one mention of it in 2005 on a netware cluster)

any clues ?

many thanks,
-clod
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES2 cluster dns server create error

clod,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Check the server objects for the cluster nodes and make sure they all have the attribute dnipDNSServerVersion. The value should be "Novell DNS Server 6.0.0". If it is missing, make sure DNS is installed on the server before adding it manually.
0 Likes
clod Absent Member.
Absent Member.

TitanXV;1839320 wrote:
Check the server objects for the cluster nodes and make sure they all have the attribute dnipDNSServerVersion. The value should be "Novell DNS Server 6.0.0". If it is missing, make sure DNS is installed on the server before adding it manually.

thanks for the reply, already sorta-sorted this a while ago and forgot about this post after seeing the autobot message.
that dnipDNSServerVersion attribute was already there and set correctly on each of the nodes, dns was up and running
on each of the cluster nodes without issue
this error occured whether there was a single node in the list or three.
looking at my scribbled down notes, what I ended up doing was adding object class dnipDNSDHCPServerVersion to the virtual server.
unfortunately, after finally getting it installed to a cluster resource, it wasn't worked as reliably as it should,
kept stopping responding to reqs seemingly at random, so I ditched it and left dns running on all three nodes. I was seriously short on time to get this migration finished and had hit so many problems I just couldn't mess around any longer.
instead I've left the novell-named running listening on each node (inaddr_any) and have one of the virtual servers run ignore_error /usr/sbin/rndc reconfig from the load/unload script so it should always be available from that resouce
address, at least for lookups.
a bit of a bodge and I hope to get it working as it should some time, but that'll be when the documentation's better. (could be a while!)

this was from my notes, written under duress and without much sleep (expletives deleted), and I'd tried so many things that
I won't vouch that any of the above is even vaguely correct.

thanks anyway
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.