Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2 to 11 Best Practice?

I have an old workstation class system that is running an OES2 NSS file server which is starting to experience a hardware failure and I am planning to upgrade/migrate it to a VM running OES11. I am hoping to use the Server Consolidation and Migration Toolkit to do this but also wanted to check the best practice. Am I able to use the Migration Toolkit and go from the physical OES2 to a virtual OES11, or should I first upgrade the physical box to the current OES11 to then migrate it?

I'm just looking for the quickest way to move this, and I'm primarily concerned about the NSS data volume. I do have backups and it is quite feasible to build a new server and new environment (this was a one server shop) and restore the data, but if I can use the Migration Toolkit to retain the current server's settings and configuration it would make my job that much easier.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

marklar23;2441424 wrote:
I have an old workstation class system that is running an OES2 NSS file server which is starting to experience a hardware failure and I am planning to upgrade/migrate it to a VM running OES11. I am hoping to use the Server Consolidation and Migration Toolkit to do this but also wanted to check the best practice. Am I able to use the Migration Toolkit and go from the physical OES2 to a virtual OES11, or should I first upgrade the physical box to the current OES11 to then migrate it?

I'm just looking for the quickest way to move this, and I'm primarily concerned about the NSS data volume. I do have backups and it is quite feasible to build a new server and new environment (this was a one server shop) and restore the data, but if I can use the Migration Toolkit to retain the current server's settings and configuration it would make my job that much easier.

Thanks!

In OES11, I believe it's officially called the Migration Tools, and that is certainly supported to "convert" P2V via ID transfer. We did this for approx. 25 regional server offices to convert our Physical OES2 to VMware guest OES11 machines.

IMO, that's your best bet because if you have failing hardware, you probably don't want to risk an OS upgrade and have it **** out (or find out you have unsupported stuff on there).

The beauty about the Migration Tool in this case is that you'll be doing a 2-step (essentially).
First, create a consolidation project, and it COPIES the data (data volume) to the new server. Same if you have iPrint and whatnot. You can, essentially test/verify everything before doing the final 2nd step:

Step 2:
Do the ID transfer. You definitely want backups of your eDir dib set in this case, especially with flakey hardware on the source. It'll basically get everything over to the Target VM, you power off the Source server, and reboot the VM and voila! "New" Virtuallized server on OES11, with same "old" servername/IP.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, great info!

One last question, I do see my Migration Tools, and it has been a couple of years since I've done this in my real job production environment... Should I have an extra server to do the migration or can I use the tools on the server that I am migrating to? Thanks again!

kjhurni;2441432 wrote:
In OES11, I believe it's officially called the Migration Tools, and that is certainly supported to "convert" P2V via ID transfer. We did this for approx. 25 regional server offices to convert our Physical OES2 to VMware guest OES11 machines.

IMO, that's your best bet because if you have failing hardware, you probably don't want to risk an OS upgrade and have it **** out (or find out you have unsupported stuff on there).

The beauty about the Migration Tool in this case is that you'll be doing a 2-step (essentially).
First, create a consolidation project, and it COPIES the data (data volume) to the new server. Same if you have iPrint and whatnot. You can, essentially test/verify everything before doing the final 2nd step:

Step 2:
Do the ID transfer. You definitely want backups of your eDir dib set in this case, especially with flakey hardware on the source. It'll basically get everything over to the Target VM, you power off the Source server, and reboot the VM and voila! "New" Virtuallized server on OES11, with same "old" servername/IP.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

marklar23;2441467 wrote:
Thanks, great info!

One last question, I do see my Migration Tools, and it has been a couple of years since I've done this in my real job production environment... Should I have an extra server to do the migration or can I use the tools on the server that I am migrating to? Thanks again!

Sure thing.

So you'll have your old OES2 server (Source Server)
You'll install a brand new OES11 server (in the VMware Guest environment) --just make sure you choose "pre-migration" server in the options (see my links for OES2, but they're very close to OES11 for where you check the box).

Anyway, then you'll run the Miggui as i like to call it, on the TARGET OES11 server.

I do have screenshots/etc. from when we used OES11, I just have to clean up the IP addresses, etc. If you can wait a day or two, send me your email via PM and I'll send you the cleaned up docs and you can be my guinea pig.

haha

--Kevin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.