booktrunk1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2015 File Server Struggles - Macs

Hi.

So our Macs are really struggling with read / write and copying files on our oes15 server it has all the latest software patches.
No windows users have any issues.
We had lots of issues on Macs using smb it seems as if there is a bug as it keep hitting errors where finder was locking files so couldn't open them to write to them.

We changed our Macs to use AFP instead and that's solved 99% of our problems. but it's still there slightly.
I can open an example directory on our macs it contains 31 images between 100k and 50Meg in size. I try to copy the contents of this directory to a new folder and it always comes up saying one of the files is locked. The only person in there is me. I've tried it on three different macs and i get the error on a different one of the 31 files each time. I try it on a Windows pc and even a virtual windows pc running on one of the macs using the OES Client installed on windows and it works perfectly.

Does anyone else have mac issues or is it just our sites? If you did have, have you solved them?

Cheers.

Our staff word with large adobe files sometimes over 1Gb and until we changed them to AFP they were never able to open the files and edit them from the servers as it always said it was locked, those issues were solved 100% by changing over to AFP.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: OES2015 File Server Struggles - Macs

More info on the server.

# uname -a
Linux ****** 3.0.101-108.74-default #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 08:56:52 UTC 2018 (453958e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#
cat /etc/issue

Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 (x86_64) - Kernel \r (\l).

# cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11
PATCHLEVEL = 4
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The files don't show as locked under Open File Information on OES Remote Manager

This is what AFP Shows.

Mar 27 10:51:46 afptcpd[13088]: [error] zAFPGetInfoByName: Failed to get parent key. Error - 20405 <0x4fb5>

Reading through old forums threads they say this is just an error when it's creating temp files then deleting them and should not be an issue... So might be a red herring might not be.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

have you tried to enable this cifs info-level-passthrough parameter:
novcifs --info-level-passthru=yes (please see OES2015-SP1 Novell CIFS
for Linux Admin Guide chap. 11.6.3 "Copying Multiple Large Files using
Finder from a Mac OS X Client to an OES CIFS Share Fails". Maybe this
helps. Another option might be using the KANAKA for your MACs, see
(https://download.microfocus.com/Download?buildid=EC-Jtj8tVL0~) and docu
can be found here
(https://www.novell.com/documentation/kanaka/kanaka_install_admin/data/a20gkue.html),
(https://www.novell.com/documentation/kanaka/kanaka_3_0_1_release_notes/data/kanaka_3_0_1_release_notes.html#b1eyuknu).

Regards

Burkhard Wiegand
OES Admin
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Well upgraded our file servers to OES18

aweek of working well able able to save files and now two clients today started to have the same problem and are needing to save everything as a different file name......

At times like this you think why am I putting up with this utterly rubbish system that doesn’t work, when I could just dump it all for windows, it’s embarrassing. I presume there is a log file somewhere for smb, but I cannot see one, I really need to actually see a log that says what the error is.

Maybe be I should use a QNAP via DSfW as a file server as OES seems useless on macs.

Utterly fedup and thinking I might just not waste our money when it comes to renewel this year.

Will look at those OES15 options to see if they apply to OES18. It’s just not worth it if my users cannot even edit a file and click save without having problems.

having OES Support saying it’s a Mac smb problem is utterly useless and a waste of money.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

OK Getting somewhere now!

2019-04-17T12:03:09.230144+01:00 LGHOES-DATA2 cifsd[4920]: ERROR: CODIR: LockCache failed to open file for User : ******.OU=***.O=*** ,Conn no : 4 ,Err : ERR_NO_CREATE_PRIVILEGE, ErrCode : 132, Path : /GROUPS/.DS_Store

There are a load of these errors in the Cifs log which lives under /var/log/cifs and has a symlink to /var/opt/novell/logs
Here is an article about Macs and things to try. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208209
The top of the three options:- defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE
seems to disable the ability for the mac to write to the .DS_Store . file. I've no idea why they are so messed up as they should all have rw permission on it, but i'm going to try disabling this on all the effected Macs and see how they go... If it works might then take a look at removing the .DS_Store files that are there. But this at least is a starting point.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

So telling the macs to not create the ._DS_Store files seems to be working.

Those i've done it one haven't had any errors in the /var/log/cifs/cifs.log file

There were 100s of lines each day with those errors, and for the users i've changed to not create the .DS_Store files no complaints and no errors in the logs.... So i'm not keeping an eye on the log and anyone else that comes up with the errors i'm doing the command on them.

It's overkill i run it as the user, then sudo su - put an admin password in, then su again and paste the command again. Bit OTT but that way i'm sure it's done. Then restart the Mac.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 18.04.2019 12:54, booktrunk wrote:
>
> So telling the macs to not create the ._DS_Store files seems to be
> working.
>
> Those i've done it one haven't had any errors in the
> /var/log/cifs/cifs.log file
>
> There were 100s of lines each day with those errors, and for the users
> i've changed to not create the .DS_Store files no complaints and no
> errors in the logs.... So i'm not keeping an eye on the log and anyone
> else that comes up with the errors i'm doing the command on them.
>
> It's overkill i run it as the user, then sudo su - put an admin password
> in, then su again and paste the command again. Bit OTT but that way i'm
> sure it's done. Then restart the Mac.
>
>

I'm not a Mac User, but just wanted to know that this type of
information sharing is what makes these forums work. Thanks.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen

Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.