Highlighted
Prindl Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

OES2018 SP1DSfW Samba problems

There is a real problem with Samba performance in OES2018 SP1. Unfortunately the DSfW Server only supports Samba as SMB file server product.

Till OES2018 without SP1 one could use Samba to access NSS Volumes on the DSfW server to distribute settings, which one did not want to place on the SYSVOL as there is no real user rights differentiation possible.

Now you can do this as well, but suffer a network throughput of less than 1 kbyte/s. (If you access the same files through Novell client you get an adequate throughput.) So it is useless to put any NSS Volume on a DSfW server.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2018 SP1DSfW Samba problems

@Prindl 

I have very little DSfW experience but I have an upcoming deployment so I'm just delving into things. 

According to the OES 2018 SP1: Domain Services for Windows Administration Guide, SAMBA is one of the Unsupported Service Combinations.

If you believe you have a supported configuration, I would open a Service Request and have tech support look at it.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@KBOYLE: DSfW *is* /includes Samba. That page you're citing simply tell you not to install novell-samba again.

@Prindl: I know, this doesn't help a lot, but yes, Samba performance sucks, but not as much as you describe it, there must be a more fundamental issue here. I'd start with a Lan Trace.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@mrosen 

DSfW Includes a special version of Samba. I don't know if there are any performance differences in the DSfW version and you can't install the SLES or Novell version to see if it makes a difference. That's why I suggested an SR.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Over the weekend I have moved the NSS volume from this server to a Windows server, changed all references to the new location and assigned the correct acls to the NTFS filesystem - so no use of Samba filesharing any more except the sysvol.

I have not digged deeper into the issue, but it had something to do with concurrent file access - if a single user accessed just one file performance was poor but bearable - but if one or more users accesssed several files concurrently it got unusable.

0 Likes
lelle Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi,

I have the same or similar issue with OES2018SP1. Very slow performance with SMB, more or less no performance at all.

ncp (filr) and scp works fine, write to the server with smb works fine too.

But downloading files is horrible, stops and timeout after 50 KB and times out.

I can do a lan trace but have no customer with dsfw oes1015 or 2018 without SP to compare too.

Have a SR related to t his (101246679281)

/Lelle

Regular Contributor.

At the moment I have no old DSfW server left. But I know, that it was working in OES 2015 and OES 2018. Since I moved the volume to NTFS on Windows the performance is awesome - even compared to the OES 2015 and OES 2018 Samba performance - despite the fact that the underlying hardware is absolutely the same, because they run on the same ESXi host.
0 Likes
lelle Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

My customer had no performance issue on DSFW/OES2015 and that was on lower grade hardware then now and a XEN platform. I dont want to move the storage to windows/ntfs if I can avoid that since I think it something that is fixable.

So I'm waiting to see if they can help fix the problem, will get back if I got a working solution

/Lelle

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.