Highlighted
davemrm Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

OES2018 upgrade hangs, can't complete

I attempted to upgrade my GroupWise 18 server from OES2015SP1 to OES2018; I'd like to upgrade Messenger, which also runs on that server, to the new version 18, but it requires SLES12/OES2018.

It goes through the first part of the install fine, but then hangs on the EDirectory upgrade section. It gets to 100% on the progress bar, with all items checked off. The last item, "Configuring NMAS Login Methods" still shows above the progress bar, but is checked off in the list. At this point the mouse cursor is an arrow with a spinning wheel, the Next button is greyed out, while the Abort and Help buttons do nothing.

I tried twice with the same result. Both times I left it to run for over an hour. I couldn't find any error message on any of the consoles that was illuminating.

It got to be bedtime, so I gave in and rolled back to the VM snapshot I took before starting. As per the glorious magic of snapshots, the server booted back up like nothing had happened.

Any suggestions to where to look if I try this again? Should I just wait for OES2018SP1?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
20 Replies
nwestwick
New Member.

Re: OES2018 upgrade hangs, can't complete

One of our OES2018 upgrade issues - SR 101137985401
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

If you get a resolution, let me know if you can.

Thanks.
0 Likes
nwestwick
New Member.

Open another shell session to the server when it's frozen on the NMAS 100% screen.

pkill yast

frozen session closes & new yast session starts for next step (or at least did for me 14 hours into that particular Bomgar session).
0 Likes
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I am having the same issue. I killed yast. Did not start a new session. This is the second server that has done this. I am on my 4th server of 5 in a cluster.
I have been working through issues for almost 2 weeks. This has truly been one of the worst upgrades I have ever had going all the way back to OES 2.
I can't even find anything in a log anywhere to tell me why it is happening.
0 Likes
nwestwick
New Member.

Had "issues" with 3 upgrades.
Opened sr's related to ruby error (looks like install script can't properly enumerate usb drives), this hang, nit daemon crashing, cifs daemon crashing.
I'm afraid it's the final coffin nail & we're now looking to migrate all services - sad times as I started out around Netware/386.....
0 Likes
davidkrotil Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Don´t understand people, which doesn´t wait so long, that at least first batch of patches is published. Every larger customer waits for SP1, that´s the rule.
0 Likes
marklar23 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

davidkrotil;2475536 wrote:
Don´t understand people, which doesn´t wait so long, that at least first batch of patches is published. Every larger customer waits for SP1, that´s the rule.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, we want to upgrade Messenger which now requires SLES 12 for an OS instead of SLES 11. Everything is already in place for doing an upgrade and it isn't practical to build a new server just to host Messenger.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

davidkrotil;2475536 wrote:

I'm pretty sure my original post explained why I'd want to proceed - there's new software I want to deploy, but it requires the OS upgrade. If it were truly urgent to do it I could deploy a new SLES12/OES2018 server and migrate messenger over there, but that's a whole new layer of hassles when I all I need is for the *released almost 3 months ago* OES2018 to smoothly upgrade a fairly vanilla OES2015SP1 install (it's a base OES2015SP1 with eDir, nothing fancy).
0 Likes
chetankumarcr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What is Hypervisor on which OES is running?
Can you please post the y2log for further analyses by running "save_y2logs" when you hit the issue.

Thanks
Chetankumar
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

chetankumarcr;2475770 wrote:
Can you please post the y2log for further analyses by running "save_y2logs" when you hit the issue.

Thanks
Chetankumar

This was on VMWare ESXi 6.0 (U2 I think).

I will certainly get the logs and post them when I try this again. Probably next week.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

chetankumarcr;2475770 wrote:

Thanks
Chetankumar

I attempted this upgrade again yesterday, with the same result. Yes, I did register the system to NCC, and it did use nearly 2GB worth of updated packages during the install.

Apparently this forum doesn't have attachments enabled, so here's a Filr link to my y2logs: http://filr.mrmold.com/ssf/s/readFile/share/34/7862439945946359513/publicLink/y2log-9545cH.tar.xz

This is what the install screen looks like when it stops... it looks the same now as it did 18 hours ago: http://filr.mrmold.com/ssf/s/readFile/share/35/-6375260752616949646/publicLink/oes2018upgrade.png
0 Likes
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

davemrm;2477706 wrote:
I attempted this upgrade again yesterday, with the same result. Yes, I did register the system to NCC, and it did use nearly 2GB worth of updated packages during the install.

Apparently this forum doesn't have attachments enabled, so here's a Filr link to my y2logs: http://filr.mrmold.com/ssf/s/readFile/share/34/7862439945946359513/publicLink/y2log-9545cH.tar.xz

This is what the install screen looks like when it stops... it looks the same now as it did 18 hours ago: http://filr.mrmold.com/ssf/s/readFile/share/35/-6375260752616949646/publicLink/oes2018upgrade.png

I don't think the virtualization platform has anything to do with the issue. Mine are used under XEN.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

warper2;2477707 wrote:
I don't think the virtualization platform has anything to do with the issue. Mine are used under XEN.

No I don't think so either, I think it was a "just in case he's using something weird" question.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

davemrm;2477706 wrote:

just checking that chetankumarcr or someone else has seen my reply with the requested logs?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.