gurneetech Contributor.
Contributor.

OES2018SP1 does not create NSS objects in Netware eDir 8.7.3 SP10 tree

We have 3 NetWare 6.5SP8 File servers running eDir 8.7.3SP10, in a tree with OES2.0.3 running eDir 8.8.6. All of these legacy servers have a R/W replica. Tree and timesync are healthy. 

We've introduced 2 new OES2018SP1 servers into the tree, no replicas. One as an appliance for iManager and another as pre-migration deployment. 

The issue is creating an NSS volume intended for a migration destination produces a directory error, but then creates the volume.... except doesn't seem to put an NSS volume object in the tree. Once the volume is created, it can be accessed by a client, but is not visible in any version of iManager or even Console1. 

Is perhaps the issue because there is no R/W replica on the OES2018SP1 migration server?

What thoughts do you folks have? 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2018SP1 does not create NSS objects in Netware eDir 8.7.3 SP10 tree

First thought is that you either don't have a <servername>admin (without the brackets...) object or this objects doesn't have supervisory rights to the server's context. Which 6xx error did you get?

0 Likes
gurneetech Contributor.
Contributor.

yeah. My imanager server has the object, but its missing for the migration server. What do I do to make that correctly?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

That should be set up on running the configuration dialog for NSS.

Basically

yast2 nss

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@gurneetech wrote:

We have 3 NetWare 6.5SP8 File servers running eDir 8.7.3SP10, in a tree with OES2.0.3 running eDir 8.8.6. All of these legacy servers have a R/W replica. Tree and timesync are healthy. 

What thoughts do you folks have? 

Here's something to keep in mind. I don't know if it has any impact on what you are trying to do.

• If you installed SP8 on an existing NW65 server you got  eDir 8.7.3 SP10
  • If you did a clean install of NW65 SP8, you got  eDir 8.8.x ( I think 8.8.3)
  • After installing SP8 on an existing NW65 server, you couldn't (at the time) upgrade to eDir 8.8.x which has an expanded schema compared to that of eDir 8.7.3 SP10.
  • A bit later Novell provided an eDir 8.7.3 SP10b patch which expanded the eDir 8.7.3 SP10 schema and made it possible to upgrade to eDir 8.8.3 or eDir 8.8.4. You could then install the eDir 8.8.5 patch which was the last offered for NetWare.

I learned this after encountering some issues which Micro Focus couldn't reproduce. The only notable difference was their NW65 SP8 server was running eDir 8.8.x while mine was  eDir 8.7.3 SP10. 😞

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
gurneetech Contributor.
Contributor.

I figured it out - sort of. 

When I started this process it was back  before OES2018SP1 shipped. My initial run at configuring NDS on the migration server had failed, and I shelved the project until I could give it the proper attention. When I resumed, the first thing I did was run updates and let it apply all the things, then run NDSConfig and I thought everything was ok. However, at your prompt to check the yast nss config, I found that I couldn't get it to run. 

When I had installed the dedicated imanager server, I had used integrated SP1 media. 

Apparently there was something in OES2018 flat that did not agree with our environment. Cutting my losses, I created a new pre-migration server with OES2018SP1 media. It installed without argument, created all the volumes, everything looks as expected. 

I have a new question about the migration tool, but that will be a new thread or a even a support ticket. 

Thanks for the guidance!

0 Likes
gurneetech Contributor.
Contributor.

Good guidance on the eDir versioning, I hadn't worked quite all of that out. If I continue to run into weird directory errors, I'll apply the string of patches to get the NetWare boxes to 8.8

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@gurneetech wrote:

Good guidance on the eDir versioning, I hadn't worked quite all of that out. If I continue to run into weird directory errors, I'll apply the string of patches to get the NetWare boxes to 8.8

IIRC, the most recent eDir patch for NetWare is 8.5. 🙂 

Correction (2019-09-05): that should be 8.8.5.6 as pointed out by @mathiasbraun 

_____
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

8.8.5.6 was IIRC the last one which was officially released for NetWare. Should be run in conjunction with ntls2051 and nmas3327. A pretty good one, had it running on hundreds and still dozens of boxes.

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@mathiasbraun 

Yes, of course.

That's not the first time I wrote 8.5 when I meant 8.8.5. Silly me!

_____
0 Likes
restori Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I have the same problem, but I've not understood how to solve it.

The server has the 9.1.4 eDirectory version and was added into an existing OES 2015 eDirectory.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@restori wrote:

I have the same problem, but I've not understood how to solve it.

The server has the 9.1.4 eDirectory version and was added into an existing OES 2015 eDirectory.

Are you able to open a Service Request? @restori @gurneetech 

Once an issue affects more than one customer there is a pretty good change it's due to a bug that needs to be corrected!

_____
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Yes, I can, I think I'll do on next days, just the time make do some more check.

0 Likes
gurneetech Contributor.
Contributor.

Something already corrected in SP1 solved my issue, I re-deployed with the integrated 2018SP1 media and all works as expected.

That said, I had done work prior to ensure my certificates were good elsewhere in the tree, and my tree was otherwise healthy/ 

Regular Contributor.

My problem has been solved. A trivial thing.
Just I had a need to update eDirectory from iManager.
iManager → Storage → Volumes
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.