petefuller Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES2SP2 Pure-ftp and home directories

OES2SP2 linux is installed, configuring the FTP service to allow webpage uploads.

Things are working for the first user I try, The user is lum enabled, and has a home directory residing in the /home directory.

Second user I try, also lum enabled (can ssh into the server as this user). The user is primarily a mac user, for user home sync on the mac, their linux home directory is /Network/Servers/yada...soforth - i.e. not on this system.

FTP for first user works fine, gateway support is ok.

FTP for second user, login fails. Errors about home directory not available.

This is a webserver, serving pages from an nss volume - that is NOT the users home dir. I don't want the users connecting to their home dir from ftp. I want them to be able in their ftp program to specify a path, /media/nss/vol1/theirfolder , which works for the user that it allows to connect.

How do I get the server to not care about the home directory?

User sees this ...
ftp> open iweb.jackson.k12.ga.us
Connected to iweb.jackson.k12.ga.us.
220-Welcome to Pure-FTPd.
220-You are user number 2 of 100 allowed.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Name (iweb.jackson.k12.ga.us:fullersync):
331 User fullersync OK. Password required
Password:
421 Home directory not available - aborting
ftp: Login failed.

Server log says this...
Jan 20 14:52:53 iweb pure-ftpd: (?@168.25.82.127) [DEBUG] Command [user] [fullersync]
Jan 20 14:52:56 iweb pure-ftpd: (?@168.25.82.127) [DEBUG] Command [pass] [<*>]
Jan 20 14:52:56 iweb pure-ftpd: (?@168.25.82.127) [DEBUG] namGetUserFDNfromUID for uid 644 return 0
Jan 20 14:52:56 iweb pure-ftpd: (?@168.25.82.127) [DEBUG] nwlogin -u cn=fullersync.ou=Net.o=JC uid 644 context ou=Net.o=JC
Jan 20 14:52:58 iweb pure-ftpd: (?@168.25.82.127) [ERROR] Home directory not available - aborting
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES2SP2 Pure-ftp and home directories

petefuller,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
dpartrid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES2SP2 Pure-ftp and home directories

> I don't want the users connecting to their home dir from ftp.
>I want them to be able in their ftp program to specify a path,
>/media/nss/vol1/theirfolder

Okay, we're talking about 2 different things.

Regardless of where you start as a home dir, the ftp client side can always request another path; unless of course the "chroot" feature is turned on, which prevents people from getting outside their home path. So if you turn off chroot (see "ChrootEveryone" in /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf) you may have better options. Or that may not be desirable at all.

As far as not putting users in their home dirs, in the first place: At this particular moment, taking users to their linux home dir is the only method pure-ftpd understands. Neither the original programmer nor the open source community have given pure-ftpd the ability to ignore users' home dirs and take people to a common location instead.

However, Novell recognizes this is a valuable feature of many FTP servers (including the NWFTPD server on NetWare). Testing is underway at Novell on an enhancement to provide this for pure-ftpd in SLES / OES. For standard disclaimer reasons, I can only say, "If and when this feature is finished and released...."

I also don't know what it's release method would be... maintainance channel update, or upcoming support pack? But there is a tentative light at the end of a hopefully short tunnel.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.