mpytel Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1481 views

OES2SP3 to OES11SP1 nss volumes on iscsi target, hints?

Dear Colleagues,
I'm looking for a best migration scenario for the following assumtions:
One of SLES10SP3/OES2SP3 servers in my tree has file services and kanaka on it. Its nss volumes are located on iscsi targets attached from a Qnap storage. I'm migrating this server to a new hardware and SLES11/OES11SP1 and would like to transfer/switch volumes the easiest possible way. There is +/- 8TB of data to copy and I'm looking for a way around copynig it. Is it possible to perform the migration to newest SLES/OES on a different hardware and just re-attach iscsi target containing nss volumes, so all would stay consistent in the tree?

Please advise...
Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2SP3 to OES11SP1 nss volumes on iscsi target, hints?

Hi.

On 06.06.2013 12:06, mpytel wrote:
> Is it possible to perform the migration to newest
> SLES/OES on a different hardware and just re-attach iscsi target
> containing nss volumes, so all would stay consistent in the tree?


Absolutely! You do a regular transfer ID migration, *without* copying
the NSS data that is on the iSCSI device. After the migration, bring up
the new server, attach to iSCSI, go into NSSMU and activate/mount the
partition once, and you're all set.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Highlighted
mpytel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES2SP3 to OES11SP1 nss volumes on iscsi target, hints?

mrosen;2266934 wrote:
Hi.

On 06.06.2013 12:06, mpytel wrote:
> Is it possible to perform the migration to newest
> SLES/OES on a different hardware and just re-attach iscsi target
> containing nss volumes, so all would stay consistent in the tree?


Absolutely! You do a regular transfer ID migration, *without* copying
the NSS data that is on the iSCSI device. After the migration, bring up
the new server, attach to iSCSI, go into NSSMU and activate/mount the
partition once, and you're all set.

Dear Massimo,
I just finished TransferID migration and successfully re-attached iscsi targets containing NSS to the new server.
Is there an additional step I should execute to 're-read' volumes/pools contents so they appear on the new server?

M
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: OES2SP3 to OES11SP1 nss volumes on iscsi target, hints?

Hi.

On 04.07.2013 16:46, mpytel wrote:
>>
>> Dear Massimo,
>> I just finished TransferID migration and successfully re-attached iscsi
>> targets containing NSS to the new server.
>> Is there an additional step I should execute to 're-read' volumes/pools
>> contents so they appear on the new server?


As I wrote in my original post: You need to run nssmu once (with the
iSCSI target attached), and manually activate the pool and mount the
volume(s) from there once.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.