PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Odd- User login stuck

On one of my Netware 6.5 servers last week users could not login. As users tried to login the login script was stuck on attaching to server XXXX.

On the server console the users who were attempting to login all had the same file open:_netware:65.nds . The server Utilization was stuck at 39%.

I tried to clear connections to users who were stuck, but the connections would not clear. So I was forced to re-boot the server before I could really analyze it. When I downed the server it locked up. I was forced to go to debugger to finnally take it down.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Thanks

Phil
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Odd- User login stuck

My guess is that they were trying to map a drive to a server that was unavailable. Only a guess though. Have you looked through other log files?

--El

PhilJannusch;2087958 wrote:
On one of my Netware 6.5 servers last week users could not login. As users tried to login the login script was stuck on attaching to server XXXX.

On the server console the users who were attempting to login all had the same file open:_netware:65.nds . The server Utilization was stuck at 39%.

I tried to clear connections to users who were stuck, but the connections would not clear. So I was forced to re-boot the server before I could really analyze it. When I downed the server it locked up. I was forced to go to debugger to finnally take it down.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Thanks

Phil

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Odd- User login stuck

That file is an eDirectory stream file, typically a login script. You can see by opening it on the console:

load edit sys:_netware/65.nds

What NW 6.5 SP, and what eDir version is involved? But the most likely cause of the problem is that file was being held open by someone else, or there was an anti-virus app on the workstation or server interfering with access to it.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.