Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

Offline patching OES2

Has anyone done an offline update of an OES server? I mean, not from the official update channels, but by manually downloading the rpms (these for example: NOVELL: Downloads - April 2011 Scheduled Maintenance for OES SP3 20110421 ) , putting them in a local folder, assigning this folder as a package repository in YaST and after that running YaST Online Update?

When I did it, there were no errors whatsoever, but ndsd was not starting afterwards. Any specific commands that need to be run after the update (like ndsconfig upgrade) ?

Official repositories are not an option, as there is no Internet connectivity for the network the server is in.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Commodore
Commodore

Things just got more interesting - I have downgraded only the package novell-ncpenc from 5.1.5-0.39 (April Maintenence Repository) to 5.1.4-0.6 (original oes2sp3 media), and now ndsd is running again. Hmmmm.
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Just to share that I've also downloaded and updated the server with the November 2011 patches (which include version 5.1.5-0.57 of novell-ncpenc) and all is fine. Looks like the rpm in the April 2011 pack was broken.

Anyway, this is not the first time this package is broken - thanks to Franz Sirl for the tip:
http://forums.novell.com/novell/novell-product-discussion-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-administration/130498-novell-ncpenc-5-0-1-28-i386-rpm-broken-patch-11529-ncp-updatevs-edir-8-8-1-a.html
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Simeonof;2193496 wrote:
Has anyone done an offline update of an OES server? I mean, not from the official update channels, but by manually downloading the rpms (these for example: NOVELL: Downloads - April 2011 Scheduled Maintenance for OES SP3 20110421 ) , putting them in a local folder, assigning this folder as a package repository in YaST and after that running YaST Online Update?

Not recommended I'd say, and not supported AFAIK.... a first issue is that you are missing other updates that might have relation - like kernel updates and other base SLES packages. So my first question would be, other than this April update... is the server patched fully and up to date for *both* it's OES and SLES components?

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Simeonof;2193627 wrote:
Just to share that I've also downloaded and updated the server with the November 2011 patches (which include version 5.1.5-0.57 of novell-ncpenc) and all is fine. Looks like the rpm in the April 2011 pack was broken.

Anyway, this is not the first time this package is broken - thanks to Franz Sirl for the tip:
http://forums.novell.com/novell/novell-product-discussion-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-administration/130498-novell-ncpenc-5-0-1-28-i386-rpm-broken-patch-11529-ncp-updatevs-edir-8-8-1-a.html

Well... taken that I've applied the April patch (online) to three different servers and have had no issues so far... it's not necessarily an issue with the April batch but more due to missing some other updated version of a package.

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Simeonof;2193496 wrote:
Official repositories are not an option, as there is no Internet connectivity for the network the server is in

SMT could be an option. Let it mirror the update repositories and hand that to to servers that need patching. That would be the supported way to do it! 🙂

-Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.