Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2179 views

One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

Hi we have a Netware 6.5sp2 server running on a old compaq one processor box
DOS partion is on a local drive. The two NSS volumes are on a Xiotech SAN.
We plan to upgrade to new HP DL380 hardware with two processors. The plan
is two move the DOS partion to the new equipment and change any drivers for
the NIC's and Storage that change. Will the server see the two processors
or will it stay as a single processor. Please let me know what will happen
and what to do to help the server see both processors on it's own.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

Hi,

bmcguire@cofchrist.org wrote:
>
> Hi we have a Netware 6.5sp2 server running on a old compaq one processor box
> DOS partion is on a local drive. The two NSS volumes are on a Xiotech SAN.
> We plan to upgrade to new HP DL380 hardware with two processors. The plan
> is two move the DOS partion to the new equipment and change any drivers for
> the NIC's and Storage that change. Will the server see the two processors
> or will it stay as a single processor. Please let me know what will happen
> and what to do to help the server see both processors on it's own.


For that server, you will simply have to add "load acpidrv.psm" as the
very first thing in startup.ncf to make it see two CPUs. But before you
do, make sure you disable Hyperthreading in the servers BIOS. It does no
good for Netware,

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

> Hi,
>
> bmcguire@cofchrist.org wrote:
> >
> > Hi we have a Netware 6.5sp2 server running on a old compaq one

processor box
> > DOS partion is on a local drive. The two NSS volumes are on a Xiotech SAN.
> > We plan to upgrade to new HP DL380 hardware with two processors. The plan
> > is two move the DOS partion to the new equipment and change any drivers for
> > the NIC's and Storage that change. Will the server see the two processors
> > or will it stay as a single processor. Please let me know what will happen
> > and what to do to help the server see both processors on it's own.

>
> For that server, you will simply have to add "load acpidrv.psm" as the
> very first thing in startup.ncf to make it see two CPUs. But before you
> do, make sure you disable Hyperthreading in the servers BIOS. It does no
> good for Netware,
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de


Thanks I will do that.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.


<bmcguire@cofchrist.org> wrote in message
news:mSOHe.16026$Y_1.8629@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Hi we have a Netware 6.5sp2 server running on a old compaq one processor
> box
> DOS partion is on a local drive. The two NSS volumes are on a Xiotech SAN.
> We plan to upgrade to new HP DL380 hardware with two processors. The plan
> is two move the DOS partion to the new equipment and change any drivers
> for
> the NIC's and Storage that change. Will the server see the two processors
> or will it stay as a single processor. Please let me know what will happen
> and what to do to help the server see both processors on it's own.


If its not a strange question are you sure you need a second processor? What
is the server running?
NetWare is mostly IO bound not CPU bound so unless you are running a Big SMP
enabled Database or GroupWise on that server it may not be worth the money
spent on the processor.

Karim C Kronfli
CNE



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

Karim C Kronfli <karim@kronfli.demonNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
> NetWare is mostly IO bound not CPU bound so unless you are running a Big
> SMP enabled Database or GroupWise on that server it may not be worth the
> money spent on the processor.


It may not be easy to order single processor anymore 😉

With NSS, the filesystem can benefit from the second processor.

/dps

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

>With NSS, the filesystem can benefit from the second processor.

It can? How do you figure that?
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: One Processor now Two Processors when we upgrade.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:42:54 -0700, Andrew C Taubman
<ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com> wrote:

> >With NSS, the filesystem can benefit from the second processor.

>
> It can? How do you figure that?


AIUI, NSS modules run on both processors; TFS may still have bindings to
processor 0. Storage drivers run on any processor.

On the network side, it looks like LSL runs on any processor.

/dps

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.