Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
apsfalcons Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2899 views

Option to Surpress Client Messages

Is there a way (either selectively or globally) surpress teh client messages? For example, we are restricting file types of just about every kind of media file to save disk space (*.mp3, *.mpg, *.wmv...) and we don't want users to be constantly be presented with the "File type policies..." messages.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
15 Replies
apsfalcons Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

I guess the more appropriate question is to how to supress the "log" window that pops up for each file that is not in line with our policy.
0 Likes
cam Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

I'm also interested in this. By default, iFolder adds things like .ds-store and thumbs.db to the list of excluded files, but our users are getting confused about these messages. I'm being told to allow these to backup to avoid the confusion from the user perspective, but I wonder how windows explorer will handle this when these files get replicated among multiple pc's. I'm assuming the ifolder dev team determined these files to be problematic for sync and are excluding them by default and probably for good reason. However, I need to stop these messages from hitting my users.
0 Likes
apsfalcons Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

cam;1716210 wrote:
I'm also interested in this. By default, iFolder adds things like .ds-store and thumbs.db to the list of excluded files, but our users are getting confused about these messages. I'm being told to allow these to backup to avoid the confusion from the user perspective, but I wonder how windows explorer will handle this when these files get replicated among multiple pc's. I'm assuming the ifolder dev team determined these files to be problematic for sync and are excluding them by default and probably for good reason. However, I need to stop these messages from hitting my users.


Yes, they are excluded by default. Our users are seeing a lot more of these messages now because I block *.mp3, *.mp4, etc..just about any type of media file you can think of along with *.exe. I then wrote a batch file to delete the files that had already been uploaded to our iFolder store and the backup on our other netware server. Saved us about 30GB of disk space, 60GB total if you count the backup!
0 Likes
pcook Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

apsfalcons;1716048 wrote:
Is there a way (either selectively or globally) surpress teh client messages? For example, we are restricting file types of just about every kind of media file to save disk space (*.mp3, *.mpg, *.wmv...) and we don't want users to be constantly be presented with the "File type policies..." messages.


Based on the lack of responses with any suggestions on how to resolve this I'm assuming there is no resolution. Did you ever find anything to stop these messages?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Pcook,
> Based on the lack of responses with any suggestions on how to resolve
> this I'm assuming there is no resolution. Did you ever find anything to
> stop these messages?
>

Client messages from what?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
pcook Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

AndersG;1786557 wrote:
Pcook,
> Based on the lack of responses with any suggestions on how to resolve
> this I'm assuming there is no resolution. Did you ever find anything to
> stop these messages?
>

Client messages from what?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

From the client as described in the root of this thread.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Pcook,
> From the client as described in the root of this thread.
>

OK: And this is iFolder client 3.x?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
pcook Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Yes. 3.7.1.19.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Pcook,
> Yes. 3.7.1.19.
>

OK. Let me ask.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
JonnyA Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

The new iFolder Client 3.7.21
NOVELL: Downloads - ifolder3-clients 20090409

Has a listed fix

490163: Option to hide Synchronization log while start-up

But I cannot find that option?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Jalfred,
> But I cannot find that option?
>

I have asked.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Jalfred,
>> But I cannot find that option?
>>

> I have asked.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>


Anders, Jalfred,

Looking up that bug in Novell's bugzilla, I see that it is (apparently)
implemented via a command-line switch (-disableSyncLog). See the bug
report here:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=490163

My initial tests did not stop the warnings from popping up, so perhaps
this bug was addressing a different issue?

--Matt
0 Likes
JonnyA Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Thanks Matt for the info.

I notice when I use the -disableSyncLog switch it prevents the "Synchronization Log" from popping up, but the balloon message still appear.

Still an improvement.

Jonathan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Option to Surpress Client Messages

Jalfred,
> But I cannot find that option?
>

Have you tried:

iFolder.exe -disableSyncLog

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.