Highlighted
glazzaro765 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2577 views

Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission erro

Over the weekend we migrated from Netware 6.5 to OES11.

Our Outlook Email .PST files are stored on the NSS volume. For most users everything is working fine.

However for some users they are getting an error when trying to send and receive. Error (0x8007005) - You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

We are not using Groupwise. Our Email setup is currently using POP. (We will be moving to IMAP later in the year).

These are Outlook 2003 and Windows XP workstations.

On the old Netware server we never had this problem.

A reboot sometimes fixes this problem. An Office repair always seems to fix the problem for a while, but then the problem reoccurs.

I suspect that some Outlook Registry setting is causing the problem or Perhaps something on the server side needs to be adjusted.

Any help is appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission

glazzaro765;2208916 wrote:
Over the weekend we migrated from Netware 6.5 to OES11.

Our Outlook Email .PST files are stored on the NSS volume. For most users everything is working fine.

However for some users they are getting an error when trying to send and receive. Error (0x8007005) - You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

We are not using Groupwise. Our Email setup is currently using POP. (We will be moving to IMAP later in the year).

These are Outlook 2003 and Windows XP workstations.

On the old Netware server we never had this problem.

A reboot sometimes fixes this problem. An Office repair always seems to fix the problem for a while, but then the problem reoccurs.

I suspect that some Outlook Registry setting is causing the problem or Perhaps something on the server side needs to be adjusted.

Any help is appreciated.


How up-to-date are your OES11 servers (what's their patch level)?
Which version of Windows XP (service pack level)?
Are your users connecting via Novell Client (NCP) or a CIFS share (SMB)?
If Novell Client, which version?

HTH.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission

In addition to Simon's questions, do you have oplocks disabled on the SERVER and the Client?
0 Likes
glazzaro765 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission

I disabled the OPLOCKS on the server yesterday and it seems to have resolved the problem.

I had compared the old server setting to the OES settings.

By the way we have upgraded two of our offices to OES11 and this problem and a few minor ones with the backup (Sep) that were easily corrected are the only problems we have encountered so far.

Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
tomanstey Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission

Just as an aside to this, Microsoft do not recommend storing .PST files on servers, whatever the OS or filesystem in use, so take care.
Tom
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission erro

On 31.07.2012 19:26, tomanstey wrote:
>
> Just as an aside to this, Microsoft do not recommend storing .PST files
> on servers, whatever the OS or filesystem in use, so take care.


More precisely, Microsoft does not *support* storing .psts on any remote
filesystem, including their own. A bit stronger than "don't recommend".

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Outlook .PST file is on OES11 NSS volume has Permission

mrosen;2210290 wrote:
On 31.07.2012 19:26, tomanstey wrote:
>
> Just as an aside to this, Microsoft do not recommend storing .PST files
> on servers, whatever the OS or filesystem in use, so take care.


More precisely, Microsoft does not *support* storing .psts on any remote
filesystem, including their own. A bit stronger than "don't recommend".

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Untitled Document


eesh, even worse than Novell's archive support for GW. (at least it's supported in certain cases)

However, MS supports .PST in ONE Specific case (and it's a real doozie):

Outlook 2010 hosted remotely by using Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) configuration

Network access of .pst and .ost files is a supported scenario in Outlook 2010 if all the following conditions are true:

A high bandwidth/low latency network connection is used.
There is single client access per file (one Outlook client per .pst).
Either Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is used to run Outlook remotely.

Network scalability guidance that is specific to this configuration can be found in the "Cached Exchange Mode in a Remote Desktop Session Host environment: planning considerations (Outlook 2010)" white paper. Although this document specifically refers to Exchange Cached Mode, the scalability metrics should also apply to other Outlook configurations, assuming the criteria that are mentioned in the preceding list are met. To download this white paper as a Microsoft Word document (.docx), visit the following Microsoft website:

Cached Exchange Mode in a Remote Desktop Session Host environment: planning considerations
(Download: Cached Exchange Mode in a Remote Desktop Session Host environment - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.