Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Path depth problem on a volume.

I have a novell NFS gateway server, running SLES10, SP2. With OES2 SP1.

I have mounted via NFS an export from a RHEL server. The SLES box then shares out this nfs share so that novell users can access this data.

I've overcome a number of permissions issues by adding the "Inherit_POSIX_Permissions" option to this volumes config in /etc/opt/novell/ncpserv.conf.

The issue i'm currently running into is missing directories. It seems that directories deeper than 4 levels simply don't show up while browsing from a Windows client. In one case, the depth made it to 5. I originally thought it was a permissions issue, because i found in the original issue that permissions on the next directory were set improperly, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I've created new directories with proper permissions, and even used old directories that have always had proper permissions in order to test. the problem seems across the board.

Another odd issue is this. If i browse directly to one of these missing directories, the client is able to find the directory, and display it. It's fully functional. After that, you can browse to the previously hidden directory from windows explorer on the client like there was never a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

Re: Path depth problem on a volume.

lagern,

this is the same system as the other thread ?

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-storage-backup/390064-nfs-volume-shared-out-over-ncp-inconsistencies.html#post1876066

I will try to configure that on one of my test systems.
Can you provide me the nfs export parameters and the nfs mount options you used ?

Rainer
0 Likes
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

brunold;1878212 wrote:
lagern,

this is the same system as the other thread ?

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-linux/oes-l-storage-backup/390064-nfs-volume-shared-out-over-ncp-inconsistencies.html#post1876066

I will try to configure that on one of my test systems.
Can you provide me the nfs export parameters and the nfs mount options you used ?

Rainer

Indeed it is. My findings seemed to change the problem enough that it warranted a new thread.

Here's what i'm working with.

From NFS server (RHEL 5.2)
from /etc/exports
/var/nfs IP_OF_SLES_BOX(rw,no_root_squash)

From NFS Client/Novell NFS gateway server (SLES10 SP2, OES2 SP1)
From /etc/fstab
IP_OF_RHEL_BOX:/var/nfs /mnt/nfstest nfs defaults,acl 0 0

From /etc/opt/novell/ncpserv.conf:
VOLUME NFSTEST /mnt/nfstest Inherit_POSIX_Permissions

This is all from my development/Test environment.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks!
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

lagern,

does the Red Hat server work with nfs version 4 ?

Rainer
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

lagern,

I configured this now using SLES 11 as the nfs server and a oes 2 sp1 server as the nfs client. Then based on that nfs mount I created the nfs share. I used WinXP with the Novell Client 4.91 SP5 to connect to that ncp share.

After that I started to create directory structures on the nfs server itself and refreshed at the client side. The new directories appeared immediately.

I started to create directory structures up to 10 levels and all are okay.
I copied a full sles11 installation source into the tenth subdirectory and it is still okay.

Whatever I did, it always worked for me.

Something that might be a problem here is that linux filesystems are case sensitive, whereas windows file services are not. Create on the nfs server a directory "test10" and a "TEST10" and put some different files into it. Then browse to the client and see which one you get. Windows does not take care of duplicate directory names on the nfs server. It simply shows you one of them and hide the other one. Might this be one of your problems ?

Rainer
0 Likes
Highlighted
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

brunold;1878264 wrote:
lagern,

I configured this now using SLES 11 as the nfs server and a oes 2 sp1 server as the nfs client. Then based on that nfs mount I created the nfs share. I used WinXP with the Novell Client 4.91 SP5 to connect to that ncp share.

After that I started to create directory structures on the nfs server itself and refreshed at the client side. The new directories appeared immediately.

I started to create directory structures up to 10 levels and all are okay.
I copied a full sles11 installation source into the tenth subdirectory and it is still okay.

Whatever I did, it always worked for me.

Something that might be a problem here is that linux filesystems are case sensitive, whereas windows file services are not. Create on the nfs server a directory "test10" and a "TEST10" and put some different files into it. Then browse to the client and see which one you get. Windows does not take care of duplicate directory names on the nfs server. It simply shows you one of them and hide the other one. Might this be one of your problems ?

Rainer

Yes, NFS V4.

I do not believe this is a case sensitivity issue. My directories are all unique names. On my test system, i created them all, all in lowercase.

Here is my tree, from the NFS server.

[root@nfsserver nfs]# tree
|-- test
`-- this
`-- is
|-- not
| `-- so
| `-- deep
`-- some <---- This is where i start seeing problems
|-- long
| `-- deep
| `-- path
| `-- which
| `-- is
| `-- intended
| `-- to
| `-- break
| `-- things
|-- other
| `-- long
| `-- deep
| `-- path
| `-- which
| `-- is
| `-- intended
| `-- to
| `-- break
| `-- things
`-- yet
|-- another
| |-- long
| | `-- deep
| | `-- path
| | `-- which
| | `-- is
| | `-- intended
| | `-- to
| | `-- break
| | `-- things
| |-- test
| `-- test.txt
`-- asdfasdf

37 directories, 3 files

In my testing, i get to the "some" directory, i can see the directories inside of this directory, but all 3 of them (directories "long", "other", and "yet") are empty.

This is from a Novell Netware Mobile client, 4.91, on Windows XP.
0 Likes
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Some more information:

I've created a second volume, to test a fresh config.

Here is the tree:

[root@nfsserver nfs2]# tree
|-- some <-- NO ISSUES found in this path.
| `-- long
| `-- directory
| `-- path
| `-- used
| `-- for
| `-- testing
| `-- depth
`-- this
`-- is
|-- some
| |-- long <-- NO Issue found in this path
| | `-- directory
| | `-- path
| | `-- used
| | `-- for
| | `-- testing
| | `-- depth
| |-- other <-- Issue found in this path
| | `-- long
| | `-- directory
| | `-- path
| | `-- used
| | `-- for
| | `-- testing
| | `-- depth
| `-- third <-- Issue found in this path.
| `-- long
| `-- directory
| `-- path
| `-- used
| `-- for
| `-- testing
| `-- depth
`-- yet
|-- another <-- Issue found in this path
| `-- long
| `-- directory
| `-- path
| `-- used
| `-- for
| `-- testing
| `-- depth
`-- some <-- Issue found in this path.
`-- other
`-- long
`-- directory
`-- path
`-- used
`-- for
`-- testing
`-- depth

52 directories, 0 files

This is getting quite odd. See the above tree to see which directory path's had issues, and which did not.

The only difference between this, and the last test, is that i did not bother enabling inherit posix on this one. Partially because i wanted to see if it was related.
0 Likes
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've also created some new directories, including a new top level directory. None of them show up via browsing in windows via the novell client.
0 Likes
lagern Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This no longer seems to be a path depth problem.

A few new bits of information.

As i mentioned before, if i browse to a direct path, that isnt showing if i browse via windows explorer. It then shows in windows explorer.

If i restart OES, the non-showing directories reset, and are no longer visible.

For instance. in a tree like:
this/is/some/long/path
if things break at /this/is/some/long/
and i browse directly to:
drive:\this\is\some\long\path
then /long/path show up properly.

If i then restart OES on my sles server, the path breaks at long again.

also, if i rename long to something else, and then browse to it, it shows up, but its subdirectories still do not. If i rename its subdirectories, it doesnt help.

I also ran into a case where i created an entirely new path, and it didn't show up in the novell mapped drive until after i restarted OES!

What is going on here? All of this is working properly at the linux level, but not via NCP!
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

lagern,

is it possible to apply the latest patches fo SLES and OES to this server to see if they help ?

Do you have a nfs v3 server (like the sles box itself) that you can use and see if there the same things happen ?

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.