MCCFL_MLA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Physical to Virtual P2V - OES 2015.1 - Reccomendations?

Goal is to move the remaining primary file server from physical to virtual on our VMWARE Cluster with a SAN.

Primary File Server OES VERSION = 2015.1 (Master Replica)

Environment

Server 1: File Server (Local Disks)
Server 2: File Server Replicated (Mirrored File System and Attributes / Permissions)
Server 3: DSFW Server & DNS
Server 4: DSFW Server & DNS

A couple of other servers at remote branches for backups and local Auth.

Trying to determine the best method for the migration.

Here are my thoughts of options.

• Server Migration - Bring Up a new server and try to run Server Migration.
  • Replicate / Sync Server 1 over to Server 2 and update all pathing on everything everywhere Update Home attributes for a few hundred eDir objects to point to server 2 etc...
  • Replicate / Sync Server 1 over to Server 2 - Remove NSS Volumes from Server 1, Run VMWARE Converter Agent to convert the server to virtual, Recreate the NSS Pool and Volumes on Server 1 (now virtualized) synch files back from Server 1 to Server 2.

Any other options?

Any Recommendations?

Thanks!

~Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Physical to Virtual P2V - OES 2015.1 - Reccomendations?

MCCFL_MLA;2481778 wrote:
Goal is to move the remaining primary file server from physical to virtual on our VMWARE Cluster with a SAN.

Primary File Server OES VERSION = 2015.1 (Master Replica)

Environment

Server 1: File Server (Local Disks)
Server 2: File Server Replicated (Mirrored File System and Attributes / Permissions)
Server 3: DSFW Server & DNS
Server 4: DSFW Server & DNS

A couple of other servers at remote branches for backups and local Auth.

Trying to determine the best method for the migration.

Here are my thoughts of options.

• Server Migration - Bring Up a new server and try to run Server Migration.
  • Replicate / Sync Server 1 over to Server 2 and update all pathing on everything everywhere Update Home attributes for a few hundred eDir objects to point to server 2 etc...
  • Replicate / Sync Server 1 over to Server 2 - Remove NSS Volumes from Server 1, Run VMWARE Converter Agent to convert the server to virtual, Recreate the NSS Pool and Volumes on Server 1 (now virtualized) synch files back from Server 1 to Server 2.

Any other options?

Any Recommendations?

Thanks!

~Patrick

So, if you're going P to V "standalone" (meaning you're only "cluster" is in VMware and not an OES Cluster), then we utilized the OES Migration utility and did an ID transfer option (after migrating everything).

That way you have a nice clean install of the OS on a VM Guest (with VMware tools), and the server name/IP stays the same after the ID Transfer and life is good/happy.

There are other methods to get things over, but only ID Transfer will preserve the server name/IP and eDir replica (along with CA) stuff.

Note, we don't have DSFW so I'm not sure what all is involved with that.

Alternatively if you really want to punish yourself, you can use the standalone VMware converter, although when I used it, it was a royal PITA. I vaguely recall it was due to DNS even though you setup stuff the way VMWare tells you to, it didn't work (this was back in the VMware 5.1 days, I'm not sure about 5.5/6.x). I think I finally got it to work using just IP and no DNS names, although it's slow (IMO).

So I've done both, but personally the miggui was the easiest *for me*. Note again, that we have no DSFW, so I'm not sure what all is involved with that, but we had DHCP (no DNS), DFS, NSS with DST, iPrint, and of course eDir involved, and all went well.

IF you go that route (make sure you read the docs beforehand--especially DSFW since I'm not up on that with an ID Transfer), make sure that when you install the OES stuff in the VMware Guest (the "new" temp server), that you select pre-migration pattern (it's in the docs, BTW). If you forget to do this, you have to wipe and start again.

I'd also make sure you have proper DS backups just in case (although the old server can still be resurrected if necessary with some assistance from Tech support).

Good luck!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MCCFL_MLA;2481778 wrote:

<snip>

Any other options?

Any Recommendations?

Thanks!

~Patrick

Last year I wrote a couple of Cool Solution articles that may offer some additional options.

As I read through them now, I see that they need updating but they are still useful.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
MCCFL_MLA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So I went ahead and did the migration for my main Primary OES Server / Master / CA / Etc...

For the most part it went fine.

Migrated the File System, then ran the ID Transfer.

The Migration console had an error on applying the IP Address to other services. Opened a Support ticket and had them take a look. We continued on and it went fine.

I would suggest they update the documentation a bit better on migrating other services.

All in all, It went extremely well / better than I expected.

I have not done the other servers as we are planning on moving to an AD backend and hoping I can AD Enable the volume to another domain. I have another question in regards to AD Enabling a volume, however will open a new thread for that.

~Patrick
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MCCFL_MLA;2498434 wrote:
So I went ahead and did the migration for my main Primary OES Server / Master / CA / Etc...

For the most part it went fine.

Migrated the File System, then ran the ID Transfer.

The Migration console had an error on applying the IP Address to other services. Opened a Support ticket and had them take a look. We continued on and it went fine.

I would suggest they update the documentation a bit better on migrating other services.

All in all, It went extremely well / better than I expected.

I have not done the other servers as we are planning on moving to an AD backend and hoping I can AD Enable the volume to another domain. I have another question in regards to AD Enabling a volume, however will open a new thread for that.

~Patrick

Thanks for the update!

They used to read the documentation feedback (using the web documentation links), so I'd probably try that first and see how it goes.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.